Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Replacing a lid after a spill.

• 09-06-2008 1:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

Who would destroy a lid after a spill? Some spills may only involve a small knock / scratch to the outer shell hardy noticeable. I have been tempted in the past to hold to spare lids for pillions etc. but recently have decided to draw the line after it hit the ground in an RTA. The Insurance Company that I was involved with only offered me a contribution towards a new lid; they said that the lid I was using was old and was due a replacement anyway.

What would you do to a lid after a spill? 20 votes

Destroy a lid after any impact.
    0% 0 votes
    Destroy it only after a major impact.
    10% 2 votes
    Don't destroy it, keep it as a spare for pillions etc.
    85% 17 votes
    Touch it up and use it again.
    0% 0 votes
    Get it Xrayed by the manufacturers.
    0% 0 votes
    Don't care, hang on to it until it falls off your head!!
    5% 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Any lid that becomes significantly damaged after a small knock isn't going to do anything to protect you in a crash. So, I have to presume that they are generally well capable of taking the odd small knock without needing to be replaced.

I get the impression the manufacturers would like us to replace the lids after every little knock, so perhaps that's why this myth of "any scratch = must replace lid" comes from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Who would destroy a lid after a spill? Some spills may only involve a small knock / scratch to the outer shell hardy noticeable.

Scratches/slides are ok. If it actually thumped the ground then get rid of it. Don't keep it for a pillion, their head deserves the same protection as yours.
    The Insurance Company that I was involved with only offered me a contribution towards a new lid; they said that the lid I was using was old and was due a replacement anyway.

What did you expect? Let's say you expect a lid to last four years. If you had it for 3 years, even if it was in perfect condition before the crash, you can only expect to get 1/4 of the cost of a new one. Most lids have a 'use by' date because the foam deteriorates with time.

Scrap the cap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

ninja900 wrote: »
    What did you expect? Let's say you expect a lid to last four years. If you had it for 3 years, even if it was in perfect condition before the crash, you can only expect to get 1/4 of the cost of a new one. Most lids have a 'use by' date because the foam deteriorates with time.
    That what I thought, alott of people think they are automatically entitled to a new lid after a spill. Mine was an Arai with a replacement falue of at least e500. With the reduced replacement value I got from the Insurance I could have almost got two new lids from Lidl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

I wanted to vote in your poll but there is no 'Clean it up and sell it on eBay' option...

'cptr

I wanted to vote in your poll but there is no 'Clean it up and sell it on eBay' option...

'cptr
    I wouldnt pass on it, I would never buy a secondhand lid. There was a professional air brush spray painter a few years ago that could do any "repair" / art work to any lid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

At the last clubman sunday in mondello I saw a guy have a spill and the marshall who removed his bike from the track removed his lid too. Apparently a scratch is enough to get the straps cut which must be painfull, race spec lids I'm sure are expensive. Ever the optimist,if I spent €500 quid on a lid and dropped it on the ground, you'd have a hard time convincing me it was fit for the bin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭lord lucan

i'm sure i'm not the only one who's hopped their lid off a door frame or bounced it off a wall by accident. if i was to replace it every time i done it i could probably buy 2 new bikes at this stage:eek::p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

If us motocrossers replaced our lid every time we had a spill, none of us could afford to race! I've bashed my lid god knows how many times, but the only time it was a big impact was a few months back when i broke my arm and had a bit of a concussion. Obviously time to splash out on a new lid!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

lord lucan wrote: »
    i'm sure i'm not the only one who's hopped their lid off a door frame or bounced it off a wall by accident. if i was to replace it every time i done it i could probably buy 2 new bikes at this stage:eek::p

Thats what i was thinking...........mine slipped from my hand and hit the ground of the carpark in work...slight scratch on the top...then a few days later ot fell of the handlebars and hit the same ground......:eek:

I did buy a new lid recently but thats cs i wanted a different colour:p

Should i keep the old one????????????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

then a few days later ot fell of the handlebars and hit the same ground......:eek:

Not a good idea to hang a lid on the bars or levers, even if it doesn't fall off you can dent the foam inside - which is what really protects you in a crash, not the hard outer shell.

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement

ninja900 wrote: »
    Not a good idea to hang a lid on the bars or levers, even if it doesn't fall off you can dent the foam inside - which is what really protects you in a crash, not the hard outer shell.
    I have been hanging my lids from the mirrors for the last 20 years. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,534 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I have been hanging my lids from the mirrors for the last 20 years. :eek:
    You should try wearing it. It offers far more protection when used in this manner. ;)

You should try wearing it. It offers far more protection when used in this manner. ;)
    I don't normally wear it when its parked up at night :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

Bottom line is that you can not account for the integrity of a lid after any impact (even falling on the ground) Take car of your lid like it's your head.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

egan007 wrote: »
    Bottom line is that you can not account for the integrity of a lid after any impact (even falling on the ground) Take car of your lid like it's your head.
    Agree 100% with this. The problem is with any impact, you dont know, and cannot see the full extent of any damage. In an accident the one part of your anatomy that you cant live without is your head. Limbs yes, brain, no.

Id much rather spend the money and know my head was protected in a pristine helmet than cross my fingers and hope my slightly damaged lid will save me in a spill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

If I were you I would refuse to take the insurance companies first offer as it is usually a joke! I would say to them that it is their clients fault that you need to replace your lid and that you will not accept a cheaper lid or a second hand one. Stand your ground and you might get a bit more!

Advertisement