Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Least Enjoyable Experience?

Options
  • 09-06-2008 1:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭

I was talking about this with one of my firends. What the worst job and the worst things to happened to him in any of the FM's. Not just talking about getting sacked or a bid for a player getting accepted by the board.

Like me for example with Birmingham in CM4 had four of my top players leave on free's on the same day and 3 of which were to Bayern Munich! But my worst experience was after managing boro to be a dominant force in football for 7 years I went to Real Madrid for 3 years and won the league 3 times, CL twice and the spanish cups a couple of times aswell I thought I'd go for a new challenge.

After turning down some big teams in my first couple of jobless months I suddenly wasnt such hot property anymore. So much so that Leyton Orient of League 1 thought they could secure the services of Luis Amor Rodriguez so I panicked and took over Charlton in the Championship in December without even looking at their details. With -4 points and 31 points from safety I made the heart wrenching decision of leaving after a wonderful 32 days. Now at Spurs in 2020 and just won the league and CL with them. Maybe its time for some Irish/Argentinian flair to return to the Valley!

In hindsight it was funny but those 5 and months were some of the most frustrating in FM!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Real FM

Just recently I finished my fourth season with man utd, in that time i won 3 leagues, 2 fa cups, 2 league cups, charity shield a few time and champions league twice. A new chairman came in a wouldn't renew my contract because "We didn't share the same long term ambition" even though my reserves and under 18s also won their leagues every year. I wasn't the happiest.

I think its because i set my manager profile as ex-internatioal player, which my mates say makes the board expect more from you. Any truth to this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

won the league 5 years in a row with Chelsea. left because i became bored. joined Juventus half way through a season, who were only a couple of points above the relegation zone. got them into the UEFA cup. board were pleased i reached my targets ahead of schedule and set my new target to win the league. fair enough, except someone didn't tell them that they might have to provide me with some transfer money. they gave me around 20 mil or something, but they accepted bids for my best players, i only saw about 30% of this. oh and one of the big names i bought broke his leg and missed the season. struggled badly in the league for the next two seasons, but still managed to get them into the champions league winning a UEFA cup and two league cups on the way. i still never saw the full % of players sold and they ended up sacking me. bastards.

i have to say, the most infuriating thing about FM is the board interaction. it is so bloody buggy.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Took over Salamanca with about 10 games of the season to go. They were 18th in the league. I dodged relegation by finishing 16th, and then got the sack because I was expected to earn promotion.

Very annoying indeed, but that's FM for you. It's very buggy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭thusspakeblixa

Won 2 consecutive promotions with Rushden and Diamonds
    Moved to Millwall, finished 7th in championship, then 4th and won playoff
    Moved to Crystal Palace, finished 10th in PL and won League Cup
    Moved to Fiorentina, won Serie B, finished 15th in Serie A, and the following season 6th
    Then I resigned, looking for a challenge
    No one take me on, so where did I end up after 4 months on the dole?
    MK Dons...
    was promptly relegated from L1 and sacked :D

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I remember once in CM02/03 after many successful seasons with Arsenal i resigned and found the worst team I could find with no manager. Layton Orient it was. Despite getting them promoted I got sacked because of the clubs financial situation. Not my fault considering finances were improving since I joined. Got a couple of quality Arsenal reserves on loan.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭Kirnsy

had the bright idea of starting unemployed....thought id pick up a job by the end of september...

nope....a year and a half later i kid thee not..a poor soupthampton team picked me up for the last few months before we inevitably got relegated to League 1...they were 12 points from safety when i joined and i almost saved them!

forgot that league one was view only and got sacked and quit in disgust!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

My worst moment happened earlier in the current season im in with Newcastle.

2 season in (last season i finished 5th, won league and FA cup) and 7 games in, 6 wins and a draw with 4 cleansheets i play Sunderland. Van Der Vaart, Arshavin and Makoun all go off injured, 2 months for VDV and Arsh and 6 for Makoun. My team falls apart without them because my subs were poor (Geremi, couldnt sell him) and we lost 6 on the trot.

Just goin from watching poetry in motion every game to seeing your little circles just UNABLE to make a forward pass.

I recovered after 2 months when the boys came back and im doing ok now, but my momentum and my hopes of a top 4 are gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

ha, reminds me of the time i played as Juve. joined them a third of the way through a season when they were in the relegation zone. started well and it looked like i might actually push for Europe after a while. the board wanted me to challenge for the title, yet they sold my best player for a meh bid, even though we didn;t have any money problems. couldn't find anyone suitable to replace him with in the short space of time that window closed in, so i literally blew all my cash on someone was actually a poorer player (a regen i think) to keep the momentum going. didn't work, on his début he broke a leg. managed to get into the UEFA cup in the end but i'm sure i would have gotten into the Champions League had he not been injured.

but to make up for it though at the end of the season i got NAsri on a free and won the UEFA cup, primarily with his long shots. so it all worked out in the end.

Advertisement