Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Howth Gradients

Options
  • 09-06-2008 1:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Has anybody calculated the %'s in Howth?
    Particularly, the gradient on the Balkhill Road (turn right at the Church in Howth) - must be in the 20% range for those first 100m

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

i wonder if any the people tracking their cycles via gps have tracked height aswell

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Toporoute.com I've found is the easiest way to calculate gradients. Can be tricky to pin point the start and finish of climbs though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

P_Raider wrote: »
    Has anybody calculated the %'s in Howth?
    Particularly, the gradient on the Balkhill Road (turn right at the Church in Howth) - must be in the 20% range for those first 100m

its nowhere near 20%. Closer to 12% I'd have said

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 P_Raider

I dunno Tunney. I've cycled 19 and 20%'s in the Pyrenees before and I still think that the first bit as you turn right is definitely as steep or steeper than that. Not the average for the whole climb, I'm just talking about those first few meters - 50 to 100m

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

My gps do-hickey gets a bit erratic with gradients, but it has it at about 12%. It certainly feels steeper than that, but thankfully it's short.

• Advertisement

12%??? Really thought it was steeper than that. The Balkhill Road, not the main road to the summit?
    I must need to HTFU!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

:)

I've cycled 20% before in Italy. 40rpm cadence and 400+ watts :)

tunney wrote: »
    :)

I've cycled 20% before in Italy. 40rpm cadence and 400+ watts :)

I'm guessing the Poggio or the Zoncolon? There's a climb I did in the Pyrenees in Biert called the Col de la Crouzette (Stage 11 this year TDF) which has bits of 20% at the hairpins. Check out the link below (great website incidently)

http://www.cyclingcols.com/

Advertisement