Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Civilization Revolution...

• 09-06-2008 1:20pm
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Downloaded this last night and played it through. Its only the demo available at the moment (the full release is this week though).

Its good! Its a bit like Civ Light as the game plays quicker then I expected and seems designed to be played through in a sitting (or two). Multiplayer games cant be saved for example.

It has a few quite dodgy UI decisions and isnt the most easily understood game out of the box, but once you get it in your head, its really good!
    It plays more like an RTS (turn based) then previous Civs (of which I have played the boardgame a lot and the computer game only a little).

Its slick and deep enough to go on my list of favourites pretty much out of the starting gates but then I am a strategy nutter :)

DeV.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,878 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

That guy that pops up and talks sim language is as annoying as hell

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

They are all fairly annoying but you can silence them (or lower their volume) independently.

What is truely irritating is that the demo exhorts you to buy the full version in order to play as any race and to remove the turn-limit etc.... but you cant. Its not available yet. Grrrrrrr....

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

yeah tried it out and really liked it i will be playing it alright as soon as it comes out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Keggers

*starts banging head off table* I was so close. DAME THOSE HOPLITES! BWHAHHHH!

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I beat it on the lower difficulty on my first try with both of the available races. I tried the harder setting and its a big jump up in difficulty. I dont think its possible to win by anything but a Domination win, I dont think you have time.

I'm looking forward to it coming out!

DeV.

• Advertisement

I downloaded it last night , but i am yet to play it. Looking forward to though .

the interface is a bit clunky and its REALLY annoying that its hobbled but you cant yet buy the full game.

That said, its an addictive little bugger.

I built every science thing I could last night , as quickly as possible and it still timed out just as I was reaching gunpowder. I could have done it better but not nearly enough to launch the space ship.

Cant wait to have some 5 way Boards action with this too :)

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭niall2j

FYI folks, review from Eurogamer...

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=149085
    8/10 - I'm really looking forward to playing this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Keggers

You're all going down!:p Does anyone know who will be stocking this? Doesn't look like gamestop(or at least the one Portlaios) will be:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

Interesting to see a game like this come to the Xbox. It makes a refreshing change from shooters and sports games.

• Advertisement

Game on Dawson street confirmed that they had it in the backroom but couldnt break the embargo until tomorrow (Friday).

Apparently it will be on XBLA today sometime...

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Moiph

I played the demo as well, I can see myself losing a fair chunk of my life to this game :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

I started the Demo and thought, what the hell - how is this going to work. Console players don't normally read the manual, and there's so much to do in this game surely you'll need to.

Anyway - I got started just clicking around, not expecting much. Suddenly I realise it's nearly a half an hour later and I'm busy building my city and invading neighbouring territories. Addictive stuff to be sure, I'm looking forward to it.

P.S. I was well on the way to victory when the time limit expired - Talk about gutted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

Anyone who bought it would you list the price you got it for?

I liked the demo, its gonna be hard to juggle between this and Snakes Hoorah.

I'm gonna pick it up today I reckon, if I can.

I used to play the original boardgame and funnily enough, it plays very like it! I beat the demo easily on Easy but the Hard setting is, well... hard!

I spent one game focusing entirely on science (I had Rome producing 54 science a turn... see if you can top that :):) ... hint: you need a Granary!). Managed to get my civ up to gunpower and got cannon out and into a single battle. WOW... cannon are awesome! :)

The game badly needs a manual and a guide and a completed civilopedia, all of which I expect in the full game.

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Moiph

Its for sale on play.com for 41.99 seems like a good bargain!

Got it in Game when it didnt appear on XBLA (stoopid americans :) ). €54.95 but when I want to play a game now now now I dont care about saving 10 bucks. So.. I'll be back sometime in November and let you all know how it is :)

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Just spent the last three nights playing the demo.

Dammit DeV, why did you post..now I have to give up the drink for a while and start playing more!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

Anybody playing it on deity difficulty have any tips?
    I keep getting me arsed kicked.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Transcend your mortal coil and become a god. Then re-write the code to allow automatic victory for you. That should do it... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I cant wait for this. I even abstained from the demo so as not to ruin my excitement via restricted demo times!!!

I used to love this on the PC in the early days and i had the boardgame too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Even the Demo has magical powers ... It changes time around you, so you don't realise you've been sitting there for hours playing it. Excellent stuff, and makes a welcome change from all the FPS's that are on the consoles :)

Advertisement