Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geeklog

Options
  • 09-06-2008 1:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I am planning to build my only little website and was planning on using geeklog. Looks pretty cool. Anybody use it and how did they get on?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

Had a quick install of it earlier after seeing this post. Used an auto-installer on my host. It's come on leaps and bounds since I used it last.

I had it for a month or two last year. It's really powerful, but requires a lot of tweaking in the beginning to get in bang on right. Security patches are fairly rare, but is very secure in that sense.

As you may have seen it's designed as a "weblog" rather than a CMS, so it really falls in between categories(blogs, CMS, etc.). Can you give more details about the nature of the site? might make it handy for criticising geeklog or suggesting others, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

nevf wrote: »
    Had a quick install of it earlier after seeing this post. Used an auto-installer on my host. It's come on leaps and bounds since I used it last.

I had it for a month or two last year. It's really powerful, but requires a lot of tweaking in the beginning to get in bang on right. Security patches are fairly rare, but is very secure in that sense.

As you may have seen it's designed as a "weblog" rather than a CMS, so it really falls in between categories(blogs, CMS, etc.). Can you give more details about the nature of the site? might make it handy for criticising geeklog or suggesting others, etc.

It's a site for a club. It will need the facilities that anyone can make update and then a general links section. Also need a search facility and a way of categorising updates etc.

Can you tell me if you need to install PHP, MySql and Apache separately to get it to run or did the installer do that for you?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

You dont need to install those they should come with your hosting package. You may need to update your hosting package if they dont come with it but they come preinstalled by your hosting provider with the relevant package and you dont need to install them.

Also you should have a look at wordpress is you want to do a site in the blog type format and see how it compares. If you want to design a full blown site with league tables etc you might be better off looking at a CMS instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,511 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I installed it for Wheelworx - AFAIR it was very easy.
    The maintainer, who admits to not being very technical, likes it and was familiar with it from Naas Wheelworx Tri Club.

Axwell wrote: »
    You dont need to install those they should come with your hosting package. You may need to update your hosting package if they dont come with it but they come preinstalled by your hosting provider with the relevant package and you dont need to install them.

Also you should have a look at wordpress is you want to do a site in the blog type format and see how it compares. If you want to design a full blown site with league tables etc you might be better off looking at a CMS instead.

I was going to build the site and host it on my own PC first and then port it up to a internet hosting company. This was so I had a good understanding of the technologies etc.

• Advertisement

daymobrew wrote: »
    I installed it for Wheelworx - AFAIR it was very easy.
    The maintainer, who admits to not being very technical, likes it and was familiar with it from Naas Wheelworx Tri Club.

Looks excellant. May I ask what hosting company did you use? Did you install geeklog on your own PC to make the website before you uploaded it to the hosting company?

I was going to build the site and host it on my own PC first and then port it up to a internet hosting company. This was so I had a good understanding of the technologies etc.

Then id suggest you download WAMP assuming you work off a windows based PC so you can develop it offline like you want.

Then id suggest you download WAMP assuming you work off a windows based PC so you can develop it offline like you want.

Wow that looks cool. Will do that.

Hi Axwell,
    Just downloaded WAMP, you don't have a link which would go through how to do a very simple helloworld style app?
    Thanks a mill

Do you want me to spoon feed you aswell? :D

I find using this new invention handy at times

But here you go should get you through the hello world example, ignore the setup at the beginning cos i assume you have that done and just make sure everything is running and continue from the steps thereafter

• Advertisement

Do you want me to spoon feed you aswell? :D

I find using this new invention handy at times

But here you go should get you through the hello world example, ignore the setup at the beginning cos i assume you have that done and just make sure everything is running and continue from the steps thereafter
    That new invention is amazing, where did you hear about it?

Looks excellant. May I ask what hosting company did you use? Did you install geeklog on your own PC to make the website before you uploaded it to the hosting company?
    It would work on any that has php/mysql (which is pretty much all).
    I probably did install it locally on XAMPP, very like WAMP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

May I ask what hosting company did you use?
    Please read the sticky regarding provider specific discussion.

Please read the sticky regarding provider specific discussion.

Just some updates on geeklog install if anyone is interested.
    Downloaded WAMP and then installed Geeklog. Everything ok except one very worrying thing.
    I can't any of the email features working on it. What's really worrying is that I Geeklog acts as if everything is ok. i.e. your mail has been sent messages!

I have spam filters and no mails even get to there.

Basically I have configured geeklog to use googles gmail smtp server. I have also configured thunderbird to do this, so there can't be anything wrong with my POP, IMAP or FIREWALL settings.

Like I said, if I got an error message or a logfile, I wouldn't mind, but I am getting nothing, nada!

I thinking how could this be used in any serious context if it pretends to users emails are being sent.

Not good.

I put a post up on their forum:

http://www.geeklog.net/forum/viewtopic.php?showtopic=83113&lastpost=true#83116

Everything ok except one very worrying thing.
    I can't any of the email features working on it. What's really worrying is that I Geeklog acts as if everything is ok. i.e. your mail has been sent messages!
    I used sendmail lfor Windows. It allows me to use my hosted mail server and authenticate myself first. It works great for me.

The above webpage mentions gmail:
    some people have has performance issues using my fake sendmail with gmail's smtp servers (due to SSL/TLS). msmtp may be a viable alternative to fake sendmail.

daymobrew wrote: »
    I used sendmail lfor Windows. It allows me to use my hosted mail server and authenticate myself first. It works great for me.

The above webpage mentions gmail:

Thanks I will look into both this evening. However, the mystery is why would gmail's smtp server work for Thunderbird and not for Geeklog?

However, the mystery is why would gmail's smtp server work for Thunderbird and not for Geeklog?
    Because it can authenticate with your username/password before sending emails. And it will have SSL/TLS support.

Advertisement