Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sex of poster.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

you don't have to post every thought. Just fyi.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Alan Ford wrote: »
    ive just translated YMMV and it come out as your mileage may vary????
    It means they may feel differently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭The Artist

tbh wrote: »
    you don't have to post every thought. Just fyi.
    for you information sound better thanks tbh.

Sherifu wrote: »
    It means they may feel differently.
    my internet slang dictionary must be wrong???

my internet slang dictionary must be wrong???
    No it's not.

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/your_mileage_may_vary See Idiom #2.

• Advertisement

Sherifu wrote: »
    still confused!i must be thick or something:o
    not very good on english meself.:o
    it really means my opinions to the admins?

I tried.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

It would save a lot of the "he said this" and "he said that" in reference to posts made by females.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Dudess wrote: »
    It would save a lot of the "he said this" and "he said that" in reference to posts made by females.

They are mostly typos :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

tbh wrote: »
    I didn't say -1, but I did think it. Purely because it doesn't make any difference if you are M or F, just like it doesn't make any difference if you have black or red hair or are over or underweight, or have piercings or not - but no-one wants that information revealed. I wouldn't oppose it, but wouldn't support it unless there was a good reason for having it.

You see, I was agreeing with you up until this! We all know that redheads are souless, evil minions, but that's for a different thread;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

So what is the point of location and Age(DOB) so...?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

So you can decide who to ignore based on how young/old or how culchie-tastic they are.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Quality wrote: »
    So what is the point of location and Age(DOB) so...?
    Why haven't you given a single valid reason for your suggestion? :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

No thank you to this. I get enough PM's from randomers who want to see my boobs as it is without telling them my gender and I also really, really, really, really, hate pink. It would make me not use the site if my username changed to that colour.

And saying that confused is the option for transexuals etc because they're "confused" is a bit insulting tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,987 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

-1.... You don't really need to know what gender a poster is, what does it contribute? It'll only end up with massive amounts of flirting, people will get distracted and the quality of posting will change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

+1, because there is a Mustard forum.

Nah, not really.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,865 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I don't see the harm in making it optional, the same way you can choose to be visible or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

CuLT wrote: »
    Why haven't you given a single valid reason for your suggestion? :)

I suppose I dont really have a valid reason. But I was just making a suggestion.

IMO
    * Not all user names are easy to figure out as male or female.

* In certain forums it is nice to know whether it is a female or Male opinion.. I dont thint that is being sexist....

It can be optional, If you would like your sex exposed.

I dont see what the big problem is with it.

And saying that confused is the option for transexuals etc because they're "confused" is a bit insulting tbh.

Sorry although that may have come across as insulting, I did not intentionally mean to insult.:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

Quality wrote: »
    It can be optional, If you would like your sex exposed.

speaking of mis-interperating a post................

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Well, I think it's fairly clear that I'm male. I don't need a blue symbol to make it clearer.

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

How about instead of purple, if there's any confusion, nothing at all.

A symbol about the size of the skype logo or the green/grey online button should do the trick.

I would welcome it cautiously, only for the fact that visitors may pick it up as a dating website.

+/- 0 here from me. I am neither supporting or comdemning the idea.

Faith wrote: »
    Well, I think it's fairly clear that I'm male. I don't need a blue symbol to make it clearer.

your a man?
    ye avatar oh!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

-1 from me.

If someone wants to reveal their gender it's their own lookout.

If my reply to a post will be affected by the gender of the OP then I'll either state that or ask them.

I assume the OP is a girlie from the baby ticker in his/her sig. It could be a flutterinbantam dual account counting down to the poo of century though.

Do I care? - :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Faith wrote: »

:(

I dunno if I should turn avatars on now or not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

I think it would be good to include so as to clear up confusion (I've been called "she" before!) , but allow people to opt out if they want out. (except Tar.Aldarion - I want to know what he/she/it actually is!!)
    Thaedydal wrote: »
    Methinks the lady (?) doth protest too much :pac:
    Perhaps someone doesn't want Boards to discover she's really a man?? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

I think it would be good to include so as to clear up confusion (I've been called "she" before!) , but allow people to opt out if they want out. (except Tar.Aldarion - I want to know what he/she/it actually is!!)

So does he/she/it!

Actually, Tar is probably the ultimate argument against this suggestion ... the symbol would change every day! >_>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Dudess wrote: »
    There is far too much assumption that, unless a poster uses a girlie name/avatar/both, they're automatically male.
    Are you sure it's a good idea for people to make foolish assumptions about gender to know your gender?

Also, I LOL'd a lot at the time I wasn't just assumed to be female, but told I was the sort of woman that caused men to have issues with women. I don't want to miss the opportunity for more such lulz.
    still confused!i must be thick or something:o
    Nah, it couldn't possibly be that.
    not very good on english meself.:o
    Really? I can't say I ever noticed.
    it really means my opinions to the admins?
    See. This is a clear sentence and I'm not at a complete loss as to what you're trying to convey at all.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

So does he/she/it!

Actually, Tar is probably the ultimate argument against this suggestion ... the symbol would change every day! >_>
    Just have a male, female and a tar symbol.

Edit: Or just make it a gif that changes from one to the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

+1

I think this would be a good addition to a profile however with one minor change..

Sex: Yes Please or Sex: No thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

I reckon we had this discussion in feedback before feller' (Why am I talking like a Hick?).

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement