Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Need help quick! Windows XP Boot Problem!!

• 09-06-2008 1:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭

Ok so i'm getting that blue screen saying 'Unmountable Boot Volume' when i try to boot up windows and restarting it etc doesn't make it dissapear.

I'm booting XP off the cd now and am getting to the screen where i want to press R to repair a Windows XP installation using the recovery console.

But for some reason when i press R nothing happens. Even if i try to press Enter to set up XP or press F3 to exit nothing happens either. Its like the keyboard isn't responding or something yet it responds when i boot up the computer when i want to enter the bios!

Any suggestions here i'm really stuck?

Cheers.

http://www.techtips4u.com/kb/sw/SW00014.htm

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Had that problem on a Dell PC not too long ago, if it has a usb keyboard change it to a ps2 keyboard and try again mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Bubba

Yeah originally i'm working off a wireless ps2 keyboard but changed it there to a USB one to see if that would make a difference and i'm still having the same problem!!
    So weird i don't understand it! Do you reckon its anything in the bios i have to change? Because as i said the keyboard works when i'm moving around the bios set up but then when i go to press R to do a system recovery nothing happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Funkiwi75

I have seen this a few times,
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555302

you need to go to the recovery console and do chkdsk /r it can take some time but it dose work.

Funkiwi75 wrote: »
    I have seen this a few times,
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555302

you need to go to the recovery console and do chkdsk /r it can take some time but it dose work.

I know thats what i have to do mate but the problem is i can't do it because when i get to the stage where i have to press R to do the recovery nothing happens. As in it won't respond.

Please help anyone!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Try use a wired PS2 keyboard and let us know how that goes.

• Advertisement

Hmmm.....and now i've run into another problem. There doesn't seem to be a ps2 port in the computer. I thought the keyboard i was using first was a ps2 one but infact it was a usb one just plugged in at the back. Its not my computer you see so i just presumed. Its a Dell Dimension 9000 if i can remember, ive actually left the house because i have to do some other work.

Would a USB mouse really make a difference though? Is there anything else that could be the problem??

Well?

Other and that I think its a new Mobo/HDD.

Try the HDD in another PC and see if you can get into the recovery console.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 74 ✭✭pdevo

any time i have seen that error it has turned out to be a hdd problem try get a copy of pc check and test the hdd with that

Advertisement