Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Learning to drive in my own car?!?

Options
  • 09-06-2008 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

I started driving about a year ago when I got a present of 4 lessons. I then went on and bought myself another 10 hours - so I have the bare (note very bare) basics!

After that I never did anything else about my driving - the lessons are just too expensive and I can't get insured on anyoines car in the family to go out and do some practicing .............. so .............. I'm going to go out and buy my own car! I plan on gettong a few lessons in a school car and then a few in my own and hopefuly my boyfriend to accompany me till I get my licence. (fingers crossed).

Am I mad to get my own car? Or should I just apply for the test and keep up with the lessons???!!!???

Thanks
    Orlee

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

It's what a lot of people do, get a few lessons and then buy a car to get experience before your test. I would say if you can afford it and feel you'd benefit from a car in the long run then fire away! Get a few quotes and shop around for insurance, and as for your first motor, it's a buyers market out there so dont buy the first car you see, and offer lower than the asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Deffo, thats exactly what I done when I was learning.
    Got lessons as a present, then done a few more in the instructors car. Got insured on my girlfriends car and had some lessons in that but was always nervous of damaging her car so I bit the bullet and bought a cheap car of my own that I didnt mind getting scratched etc and hey presto. Nerves were eleminated as I wasnt worrying about damaging the car and as it was my own I could head off whenever I liked to do a bit of practice in the evenings.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭prodigal_son

I bought a car having no lessons and having never driven before.. I passed first time. Only got 4 proper lessons..

whatever makes you feel comfortable,

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Feel more confident learning to drive in my own car, the car that i'll still be using once the test is over ... It's about confidence and comfort

Advertisement