Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iain "bigass books" M Banks

Options
  • 09-06-2008 1:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 897 ✭✭✭

With all the hullabaloo about Matter, I said I would start reading some back catalogue Iain M Banks. Really like it so far, read Excession and Consider Pheolbas. Great books, Starting on Use of Weapons now.

Only thing is, Im reading the new reprint Culture paperbacks. Their all regular size paper backs, except for Matter which is a fairly big sized book, with bigger print. Anyone know if they are releasing a smaller paperback version? I know its long, but its not that long, its only 100 pages longer than excession.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,703 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

welcome to the world of newly published books. that giant sized paperback is called a tradepaper back or airport novel, and is equivalent to a hardback. wait anything from six to twelve months for a little size paperback to appear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 897 ✭✭✭oxygen_old

ah crap. Sure ill read trough the remaining 8 books and see how Im doing, I just really dont want to lug that thing on the train. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

Read Algebraist recently, my first of his Sci Fi and was staggered, I had basically given up on Sci-Fi as a genre but I am now intent on reading everything I.M. Banks has to say on the subject first :)

Thats it, Im picking up the Albergast on the way home, heard its very good. Was avoiding it cause its not a culture novel, the culture rock.

Czar, recommend reading Excession (book 5/7 and best of Culture books) then start at book 1/7 Consider Pheolbas and go from there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

oxygen wrote: »
    Czar, recommend reading Excession (book 5/7 and best of Culture books) then start at book 1/7 Consider Pheolbas and go from there

Really? won't that spoil anything? Or are they unrelated within the same universe type thing? alternatively won't I miss the "Culture" grounding if I skip the first books to start?

• Advertisement

Nah. The fifth book is the best, full of starships and all that. They do reveal the outcome of the war from the first book, but considering there are seven Culture books, its not a shock outcome.

There all very unrelated. Matter and Look to Windward are completly set on less tech advanced planets. I hear Look to Windward it proble the least popular of the books. There are no recurring characters

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

IMO Player of Games is the best of the culture novels. Though I liked all of them, but I've found Matter a little heavy going.

IMO Player of Games is the best of the culture novels. Though I liked all of them, but I've found Matter a little heavy going.

Yea, was thinking of moving on to player of games next. I loved the game Damage from the previous book. It's the same game, right?

Matter for me sounds a bit like Look to Windward, not really cutlurish enough. More like M Banks attempt at fantasy, swords and shields and stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

I haven't read all of the culture novels yet but I thought Use Of Weapons was the best. Recently picked up The Wasp Factory. It's the first of his non sci-fi books I've bought and I'm looking forward to it greatly.

Sandor wrote: »
    I haven't read all of the culture novels yet but I thought Use Of Weapons was the best. Recently picked up The Wasp Factory. It's the first of his non sci-fi books I've bought and I'm looking forward to it greatly.

Ive heard theres a massive difference between his sci fi and regular stuff. Even in his sci-fi, he can be a little gruesome and apparently the wasp factory is massively gruesome, the boy in it is big into animal cruelty.

Let me know how you get on, not sure I'm going to try it tho.

• Advertisement

It's up next on the block. I'll throw my impressions in here once I'm finished. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

I have read Player of Games and Wasp Factory..

Did not really enjoy either tbh

I have read Player of Games and Wasp Factory..

Did not really enjoy either tbh

There kindof an odd pairing tbh. there completly different genre's.
    Might as well be considered as different authors.

I have to say tho, I started Night Watch recently (hoping it will make sense of the movie for me) and while its enjoyable, it hasnt really got that polished skillful lit feel to it alot of M Banks stuff has. Has anyone any suggestions for a sci-fi author on par with Banks, in terms of lit skill? I think its fairly unique to have such a well respected author to write science fiction.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

There is a level of continuity and self reference in the books but you needn't necessarily read them in order.

I felt the Algebraist was the weakest of the books. Matter was a decent enough read, if wandering slightly. I really loved Look to Windward. Excession is a rip roarer and Consider Phlebas is class.

But I felt the 'Player of Games' epitomises Bank's culture series. Wickedly funny and with allot of depth, it's an absolute stand out novel and epitomises the ambiguity that makes the Culture so interesting.

Thanks for the rundown. I would agree, excession is an above par sci-fi book. It has a fast pace, cool robots,space ships, action, etc. etc. And its fairly funny, those ships are quite funny in their dialogue. I would say none of the other series of novels are as technically detailed as that. If Im wrong correct me, by all mean

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,703 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

just finished use of weapons, loved it. consider phlebas is probably my favourite so far, but i've not read many.

for the person looking for similar authors can i suggest peter f hamilton, try the reality dysfunction and work from there.

Tree wrote: »
    just finished use of weapons, loved it. consider phlebas is probably my favourite so far, but i've not read many.

for the person looking for similar authors can i suggest peter f hamilton, try the reality dysfunction and work from there.

Sweet, space opera, I have been hanging to get a good space opera read. Banks is great, but he is just a little off the space opera mark. thx for the suggestion, hopefully I'll get trough the Night's Dawn trilogy (3000+ pages), and be able to hop on the The Void Trilogy before part two and three are released 2008 and 2009.

oxygen wrote: »
    Has anyone any suggestions for a sci-fi author on par with Banks, in terms of lit skill? I think its fairly unique to have such a well respected author to write science fiction.

Read Hyperion by Dan Simmons. It's a fantastic book. Also any Phillip K. Dick is a safe bet although his stuff might not be what you're looking for in a book.

The Night Dawn trilogy is class alright. Hamilton also has two big books, Pandora's Star and Judas Unchained (the Commonwealth Saga) which are well worth a read.

The Alastair Reynolds 'Revelation Space' series is worth reading as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alastair_Reynolds#Revelation_Space

tbh, dick isnt very like banks at all. simmons is a bit like him but only in the size of his stories, it's not really space opera. reynolds is like banks in that it's space opera but i dont like his writing, takes ages to go nowhere.

though if you DO like reynolds, kevin j anderson is a safe enough bet for you.

• Advertisement

reynolds is like banks in that it's space opera but i dont like his writing, takes ages to go nowhere.

Fair point but Banks is the master when he's at the top of his game. The universe Reynolds created in Revelation Space is class with some really memorable characters (Clavian?).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Have read quite a few of his non sci-fi

The Wasp Factory
    Walking on Glass
    Espedair Street
    The Crow Road
    The Business
    Raw Spirit (Non-fiction)

Must try a few of the sci-fi.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iain_Banks

Must say I like his stuff. Anyone know if it can be got secondhand?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

tbh, dick isnt very like banks at all. simmons is a bit like him but only in the size of his stories, it's not really space opera. reynolds is like banks in that it's space opera but i dont like his writing, takes ages to go nowhere.

Reynolds and Anderson are not similar at all?
    Reynolds writes hard sci-fi, albeit in a space opera-ish setting, which Anderson 'writes' some of the cheesiest space opera I've ever read.
    Reynolds is probably my favourite author, and while the Saga of the Seven Suns has a good underlying story, it seems like it was written for kids with no short term memory.

Dont want to change direction of thread, but Hoggies and Fidges, or whatever there called, have a decent book sale on. Some Allister Reynolds stuff is €5. Century of Rain, and another one. Also Ian M Banks Algebraist is €5, which was on my to read list.

I did say Dick might not be what ****** is looking for. I think Hyperion has its space opera moments. The soldiers story at least. It is a composite of different genres I suppose but the result is more than its parts.

I would agree with Anderson not being very good. I haven't read Reynolds but I might as well say that I've only heard good things.

Advertisement