Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mortgage insurance/crohns disease

Options
  • 09-06-2008 2:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭

Hi,I would be greatful if I could get any opinions or advice.I was diagnosed with crohns disease 20 years ago.I had multiple surgery at that time to remove affected part/parts.
    Since then I have been very lucky and do not have any major problems providing I keep away from dairy products and other triggers.I am not on any medication.
    My question is about life insurance.Eight years ago my husband and I took out a whole of life policy and I was loaded 50% as a result of crohns.
    We are now about to start looking for mortgage protection insurance,and I am curious as to any fellow boardsies have been in this situation or may have any advice.Our broker is checking out options but I would like to look also and have all options open to us.
    Sorry for long post!! Thanks in advance

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

When going for mortgage protection, the norm is to load the policy and not to offer payment protection (but to offer death protection).

I'm in a not dissimilar situation- I've had surgery 4 times, and even with flareups have only missed about 80 days from work in the past 7 years. I have a 50% weighting for my Lifetime Assurance policy cover, and reduced cover to boot.

The nature of Crohn's is that while it may be less likely to recur as you get older- that it is always there in the background, and as such we do get whacked by insurance companies. When I was originally taking out my mortgage I had to go to 4 different providors as the premia I was being quoted were totally unbelievable (I think they really didn't want me as a customer)......

Ps- I'm fine with all dairy products, my triggers tend to be anything with Maize in it (cornflakes etc) or any of the hyper processed foods with MSG in them (packet soups are lethal for me........) I also have problems with tomatoes/onions but not with any other fruit/veg. I suppose we're all different......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭hotredhead

Thanks for the quick reply smccarrick,I appreciate it.
    I haven't received any quotes as yet but I think I know whats coming!!!
    Will try a few companies and see what happens,all we need is basic cover so hopefully we won't get too badly burnt.

Ps.I also attend Dr Donoghue in St Vincents although it's been a long time!!!
    I must have a read through all the posts re crohns,I never noticed them
    before.This is a very informative website indeed!!

Advertisement