Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What to do with 11 year old good car?

Options
  • 09-06-2008 3:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭

Hi all

Looking for some advice please. I’m the owner of a 1997 Saab 900SE 2.3 petrol engine. It’s got 69k miles on the clock and I’ve owned it since new. Its due for the NCT at the end of the month and it’ll probably fly through again.

It’s a Saab so it could go another 69k miles. It’s a very clean car - a few scratches on the paint from the kids and I replaced the clutch back in November last which seemed to knock off the cruise control but otherwise its in decent shape. It has plenty of bells and whistles.

The trouble is we need a 7 seater as we’re now a 6 person household.
    I’ve been looking at importing a UK diesel after July but what can I do about the Saab?

I had it on CBG.ie at €3k for a month and didn’t get any calls. I realise the market is just about dead now anyway. I’d hate to think it just has to be scrapped as it’s still a fine car. But it has a big petrol engine and an old number plate. Car computer says it does 30mpg or 9.4l/100km on a diet of short school runs.

Any ideas on is it worth putting through the NCT or if not, what is the best way to dispose of it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Vertakill

I'd say it'll be tricky to sell because as you've mentioned, the market is seriously slow at the moment for selling second hand cars. Especially selling an old car with probably below average mpg with a big petrol engine, meaning expensive enough tax.
    If you're not desperate for the cash and it's not taking up too much space at your house.. why not just keep it in CBG etc and lower the price a little?
    Passing the NCT will help a lot, as the first thing people will think when looking at the car's credentials is that it's old and may not be reliable. NCT will put some people's minds at ease.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its always worth advertising (costs little or nothing after all), get it through the NCT, if you have any shocks during the test then you can have a rethink.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭skyhighflyer

Get it through the NCT, knock the price down to €2k and wait it out.

I for one hate seeing perfectly good cars get scrapped. Someone will want it, it just takes time.

I'd imagine the buyer for this car would be a mature / elderly individual. With this in mind perhaps the internet would not be the best way to advertise.

I read somewhere (possibly on here) of a guy who was trying to shift a Peugeot 607 (like this car, a big engined petrol model). He parked it up near the RDS when the ideal homes exhibition was on with a FOR SALE sign in the window. IIRC, he had a few calls by day's end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭3ps

sorry but that price is just far too high.... it's 11 years old and has a massive engine!!!

People are buying 1995/1996 Citroen Xantias for 1000, with economial diesel engines....

You need to SERIOUSLY reduce the price IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Reduce the price. High road tax doesn't bother people who don't pay it;), so you'll definitely sell it, it's just a case of getting the price right.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭GB15

If the car you're getting is from a UK dealer would it be worth asking about a trade in? I've no idea what the reverse is for car to the UK but surely its not the same VRT rip that we have..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

3ps wrote: »
    sorry But That Price Is Just Far Too High.... It's 11 Years Old And Has A Massive Engine!!!

People Are Buying 1995/1996 Citroen Xantias For 1000, With Economial Diesel Engines....

You Need To Seriously Reduce The Price Imo.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Vertakill

Quote:
    Originally Posted by 3ps
    sorry But That Price Is Just Far Too High.... It's 11 Years Old And Has A Massive Engine!!!

People Are Buying 1995/1996 Citroen Xantias For 1000, With Economial Diesel Engines....

You Need To Seriously Reduce The Price Imo.

Lol, how did you manage to quote that and add capitals to the start of every word? Some sort of interweb elite grammar translator?

Anyways, in summary - lower price, get NCT, park it in front of old folks homes. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

dermiestv wrote: »
    Hi all

Looking for some advice please. I’m the owner of a 1997 Saab 900SE 2.3 petrol engine. It’s got 69k miles on the clock and I’ve owned it since new. Its due for the NCT at the end of the month and it’ll probably fly through again.

It’s a Saab so it could go another 69k miles. It’s a very clean car - a few scratches on the paint from the kids and I replaced the clutch back in November last which seemed to knock off the cruise control but otherwise its in decent shape. It has plenty of bells and whistles.

The trouble is we need a 7 seater as we’re now a 6 person household.
    I’ve been looking at importing a UK diesel after July but what can I do about the Saab?

I had it on CBG.ie at €3k for a month and didn’t get any calls. I realise the market is just about dead now anyway. I’d hate to think it just has to be scrapped as it’s still a fine car. But it has a big petrol engine and an old number plate. Car computer says it does 30mpg or 9.4l/100km on a diet of short school runs.

Any ideas on is it worth putting through the NCT or if not, what is the best way to dispose of it?

theres plenty of saab fans like myself who would remove it from your property no issues...

but yeah nct Always helps... get a pre-test done to see if it will pass , if it does a 2 year nct will sell Any car.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,429 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

S.I.R wrote: »
    get a pre-test done to see if it will pass

Worst possible advice. Please do not get a pre-test done. A pre-NCT test is a waste of money. The NCT test itself will tell you exactly what it failed on (if it failed at all) and it will not give you any false postives or false negatives that a pre-test can give you

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

unkel wrote: »
    Worst possible advice. Please do not get a pre-test done. A pre-NCT test is a waste of money. The NCT test itself will tell you exactly what it failed on (if it failed at all) and it will not give you any false postives or false negatives that a pre-test can give you
    +1.

At €49, the NCT is cheaper than any pre-test.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭dermiestv

Thanks very much for all the great advice.

I'll put it through the NCT and obviously lower the price.

Then I'll start looking for that mature buyer although it'd make a great car for a young adult to start off with too, but my children are all still in primary school !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭michaelanthony

3ps wrote: »
    sorry but that price is just far too high.... it's 11 years old and has a massive engine!!!

People are buying 1995/1996 Citroen Xantias for 1000, with economial diesel engines....

You need to SERIOUSLY reduce the price IMO.

A 2.3 is not a massive engine. A 5.0 is a massive engine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BnA

JHMEG wrote: »
    +1.

At €49, the NCT is cheaper than any pre-test.
    +2

Pre-test is for utter mugs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

how so ?

you get the pre-test done, sure is a bit more expensive... but

your in the garage so any work can be done ( if you wish for it to be done )

but have nsaid that you'd be looking 1500 or there abouts n mint condition

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭3ps

A 2.3 is not a massive engine. A 5.0 is a massive engine.

you know that, I know that (I drive a 3.0) but Joe Public thinks 1.8 is big

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭skibum

S.I.R wrote: »
    how so ?

you get the pre-test done, sure is a bit more expensive... but

your in the garage so any work can be done ( if you wish for it to be done )

I put an old micra through a pre-test years ago, the list of faults / cost of repair was huge so said no thanks, had the nct booked and put it through for the hell of it (mainly to see would the same faults be picked up).

Had a screw driver with me in case it failed ;)

Bloody thing passed with a few minor things pointed out, drove it for another 2 years :D

Advertisement