Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin 760 vs. eTrex Vista HCx

Options
  • 09-06-2008 3:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭

I'm looking into getting a GPS ad narrowed it down to 2: the Garmin 760 and the eTrex Vista HCx.
    I know that these two models are quite different, but they are the ones I found that best match my requirements.
    I want to use a Garmin, so that I can download maps from OpenStreetMap.
    I want to use it in the car as well as on foot in the city, as well as for trecking.
    It should have auto routing.
    It should store tracelogs.
    I need maps for Ireland, Germany and Greece.

I have a few questions about both models:
    1) does the 760 record tracelogs?
    2) How is the auto routing on the Vista compared to the 760?
    3) How usable is the Vista in a car?
    4) How portable is the 760?
    5)The Atlantic Recreational maps that come with the Vista don't have Greek maps. Does any one know any good maps for Greece (Mainland)?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,119 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

sorry cant answer the qns but intrigued by this open streetmap

i see dublin is very well mapped but the rest of ireland not so much, can one just convert this and have it on your garmin as a dublin map?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

Cyrus wrote: »
    sorry cant answer the qns but intrigued by this open streetmap

i see dublin is very well mapped but the rest of ireland not so much, can one just convert this and have it on your garmin as a dublin map?

The way I understand it (I have only looked briefly at that site) is that everyone can upload trackways, convert them into maps. After that each Garmin user can create maps for the Garmin from what is stored on the server and load it on his device. They are however at the moment not auto-routable.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I have autorouting maps installed on my 60CSx. It works very well for how I'm using it, but I'm usually the passenger in the car so am reading the onscreen instructions and filtering out the stupid ones usually. I have seen articles where some people would use that style of unit for car use as well but not sure that it would be as useful as a dedicated car one in giving you directions, but whenever I've been off driving somewhere unknown myself I just keep going until I kind of figure out where I'm supposed to be going from reading the road signs and remembering what it said on the paper map from before hand.

I'd think that the likes of the trail designed units are better at car use though than the car use ones would be on the trail.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

robinph wrote: »
    I have autorouting maps installed on my 60CSx....
    I'd think that the likes of the trail designed units are better at car use though than the car use ones would be on the trail.
    Just wondering, how useful is the 60CSx without proper topo maps for Ireland?
    I'm sure you've answered this before, but which maps do you use on the trail?

mdebets: If you're buying the 760, it'll come with City Navigator 2008, so you won't need OpenStreetMap, until such time as OpenStreetMaps supercedes CN2008 in terms of coverage/quality etc.

I believe that CN2008 includes coverage of Athens. Beyond that, you'll have to find your own maps. Check out the map viewer for the area you are planning on visiting/spending your time though.
    *Edit*: Try this: http://mapdekode.iol.gr/. Non-routable, but should fill the gap.

*Edit2*: 760 website says 'A trip log provides an electronic bread crumb trail of up to 10,000 points, so you can see where you've been on the map. '

*Edit3*: 760 Website says ' Battery life up to 5 hours. Weight = 176grams.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

mdebets: If you're buying the 760, it'll come with City Navigator 2008, so you won't need OpenStreetMap, until such time as OpenStreetMaps supercedes CN2008 in terms of coverage/quality etc.
    It's not so much that I need to use OpenStreetMap. It's just a good idea and I want to try to contyibute to it.
    I believe that CN2008 includes coverage of Athens. Beyond that, you'll have to find your own maps. Check out the map viewer for the area you are planning on visiting/spending your time though.
    *Edit*: Try this: http://mapdekode.iol.gr/. Non-routable, but should fill the gap.
    Thanks for that link.
    *Edit2*: 760 website says 'A trip log provides an electronic bread crumb trail of up to 10,000 points, so you can see where you've been on the map. '
    Thanks, I totally overlooked that.
    *Edit3*: 760 Website says ' Battery life up to 5 hours. Weight = 176grams.
    That leads to another question. How realistic are these 5 hours and does the 760 has powersave options to extend the batery life?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

The older Garmin units I've had supported features like powersave mode, where it would decrease the GPS polling rate (probably wrong terminology). But as far as I can see, my latest receiver no longer supports this feature.

You could reduce the contrast to barely readable to extend the battery life, but I'd expect that 4-5 hours is as good as you can expect.

Are you considering using the receiver for hiking? You're aware that by default, Garmin units do not come with topographic maps, right?

For anything else, have a read through the owner's manuals: 760, eTrex H.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

The eTrex allows you to set it to power save mode where I think it calculates position just every 2 seconds which is fine for trekking and you can also switch off WAAS/EGNOS though you can do this with the Nuvis as well.

The best thing about the eTrex is that it takes AA batteries so you can always replace the batteries on the move, something you can't do with the Nuvis, I have a set of 8 AA batteries which I keep in pairs and I always have two pairs fully charged in the car which means that when using the eTrex I never run out of juice. I use the eTrex in the car for it's logging capability and the Nuvi 250 for navigation.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

coylemj wrote: »
    The eTrex allows you to set it to power save mode where I think it calculates position just every 2 seconds which is fine for trekking ...
    No it doesn't. The older etrex models had this but not any of the newer H models.

As to the practicability of using an etrex for car navigation ... remember the screen is much smaller than the 760. I know I couldn't see it clearly enough to be able to read directions off it while driving, but if you're young and have good eyesight it might be OK. Power isn't a problem .. it will run off of a standard 5V USB power supply without using the batteries (if fitted, but not required when running on external power). Remember to factor in the cost of the required maps such as CN NT 2008 when comparing prices.

I have both models you're comparing .. horses for courses I'd say, personally. I wouldn't take my 760 hiking, and I wouldn't use my Vista HCx in the car.

Advertisement