Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Creative Zen Vision:M (60GB) Need Technical Help!!!!

Options
  • 09-06-2008 3:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

My Creative Zen Vision:M has died on me! I've had it for just under a year so it is under warranty but if I send it away, Creative have no policy for saving data from your harddisk. It is a 60GB and is almost full! I was wondering if any one knew of a way i could get my music files off of the harddisk before I send it away for repair or replacement? I have tried plenty of methods already to restore it but have ran into an endless amount of problems! I tried disk clean up- It ran for about ten hours then Shut its self down and said disk cleanup failed. I then tried to reload the Firmware to no avail. Tried to Format all as a last resort but it wouldnt let me because of a 'Harddisk Error'. After that I presume that the hard disk is the thing causing the problem. When I turn the player on it tries to boot up but goes into Recovery Mode after about ten seconds and none of the recovery options work.
    I would really appreciate any suggestions as to how to retrieve my music!
    Thanks!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

I don't think so I'm afraid. My sister had a 30gb one,similar thing happened. I had no joy in trying to mount the HD as a raw device on a linux box (Using the direct USB passthrough of a IRiver H140, it's the same HD in both). It's a while since I messed with it, but the FS is in some non standard format. I couldn't find any FUSE modules that would read it. Maybe there is some way, but I began to speculate that the firmware does some sort of custom encoding on the content onto the FS so it's next to impossible to read the data.Creative probably could do it, but they won't under the terms of the warranty and not for plebs like ourselves.
    If any body does know differently I'd be interested to find out your story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 MIM-104

No I'm afraid not I had the exact same prob with the exact same mp3 player two weeks ago (Wierd).

if it says harddisk prob then the music cant be recovered

Do you not have it saved on a computer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 AilsaB

Thanks for the help, I think I've accepted now that its beyond recovery! No Hope! :( I Did have some of my Zen files stored on the computer but we recently bought an external drive to free up some space and only got some transfered over before our computer crashed. All the technology in my household seems to be going haywire at the moment!
    Thanks again guys for your help! :pac:
    Ailsa

Advertisement