Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fat Free Half 'n' half

• 09-06-2008 3:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

A recipe called for this. I've google but can't find out exactly what it is. It is half milk and half cream????

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Yeah, it's half cream and half milk. By definition, I can't imagine such a thing exists! It's like vegetarian haggis - it's just not possible. Half'n'half is only available in America anyway, isn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Could you try fat free fromage frais instead? Or low fat Crème Fraiche?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Faith wrote: »
    Yeah, it's half cream and half milk. By definition, I can't imagine such a thing exists! It's like vegetarian haggis
    I would presume it is a mock version, like veggie sausages or mince. I expect it is thickened with starch or using cultures.

I would go with the recommendations in the previous post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 M0use

Its in a weightwatchers recipe for seafood chowder so not sure what fromage frais would be like in that. I have to be careful what I substitute or the point value of the chowder won't be the same.

Yeah - if it is half cream and half milk how can it be fat free. I'm presuming that the cream half is there because the fat will prevent the chowder from curdling. In which case fat free cream (if there is such a thing) wouldn't be any use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

I have a WW recipe for chowder that uses skimmmed milk and it works fine without the fat so I think you can substitute for a fat-free option and it'll still work

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

AFAIK it's really fat-free but it's not really half-milk, half-cream (which a 'normal' half-half' would be). It's more like a thickened low-fat milk.

Personally I'd replace it with full-fat milk (for the creaminess) and see how that works out.

Other people asking the same question here...

http://ask.metafilter.com/59348/Fat-Free-Halfandhalf-questions

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

what about that elmlea stuff, i picked it up one day accidenlty thinking it was cream and it tasted like dream topping. not offensive but certainly not cream

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

The wiki reckons it's light cream:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Half_and_half

Advertisement