Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Distance covered in a match

• 09-06-2008 4:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭

I was watching the soccer the other night and the commentator was talking about your average mid fielder covering 10-12km in a match.

I cant seem to find any statistics, but how much ground do you think a basketballer (NBA) covers in a game? Personally I think it might be more...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 568 ✭✭✭phil

I can't find any references, but no, basketballers would not run near as much as soccer players, in the range of 5-7km a match if I remember correctly!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

That seems like a lot,considering some soccer players only cover 9-10 on a much wider surface!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 568 ✭✭✭phil

Basketball players generally operate at a greater speed for longer and all 5 are up and down the court and of course they play on a different surface.

Please note that before anyone jumps in, I'm not saying they're faster/slower/fiitter/not fitter ... they're just different sports which require slightly different levels of stamina and endurance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Valid point cause in faireness the two central defenders in soccer are really only covering a small area,only travelling a long distance for corners!

Advertisement