Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gun Control in Ireland?

Options
  • 09-06-2008 4:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭

I don't really know alot about this issue other than I always though that farmers were allowed shotguns and rifles for vermin and that you had to be a land owner. I have seen liberal gun laws in the United States where over 90% of the population is armed based on their right within the 2nd amendment. What what got me thinking was reading the attached article.

Apparently Hand Guns are legal in Ireland, the article says this has been so 2001, what are the restrictions and how does a person buy them? I was amazed at the situation in the USA where one can saunter into a Walmart and buy guns (with a 3 day background check) and ammo.

As a newbie to shooting and a general libertarian pacifist (I don't like guns tbh, but I am not against them either) I am intrigued at this article and if someone would care to explain how Ireland compares to the USA in terms of Gun control. Having recently shot a gun for the first time (a whole new experience for me) in the USA it got me thinking about how we fare with this issue over here.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

It roughly boils down to:

If the Garda Superintendent of your local district thinks that you have a good reason for the firearm, a place to use it and that you can be given a licence for it without endangering the peace or public security then you get a licence.

The reality is a little more complex than that, but that seems to be the basic tenet of the law here. IMHO, it's a pretty good way of controlling firearms. I do have problems with the implementation and with many of the intricacies of the law but the basic concept is pretty sound.

EDIT: Also, you haven't attached an article.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭E. Fudd

Should make for an interesting thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

There is no point in trying to strike a comparison between here and the United States when it comes to laws and rights with respect to firearms.

In the USA you have a right to have a firearm and some restrictions are applied to how you can get it.

In Ireland you NO NOT have a right to own a firearm. You must apply for a license from the Gardai. Based on what you are looking for, where you intend to use it - target club or hunting, your security arrangements for storage - safe and alarm, whether or not you have any criminal history and a bunch of other stuff, your local Garda Superintendent will make a determination as to whether you are allowed to have the license.

Only some types of firearms are allowed to be stocked in Ireland, for example, Gunshops are not allowed to stock new handguns for sale. When you get your license, you must then apply to the Department of Justice for an import license.

In my own case, for a target pistol, it took me between 18 and 20 months to get a firearms license, import license and finally the firearm. I have seen it go quite quickly with the whole process only taking between tow and three months.

As you can see the impression given in the article you read may have given you a false sense of dread.

Hope it helps,

B'Man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭packas

Also don't forget it's quite acceptable in the USA to own a gun for self defence. That right in itself can add a whole different complexity to how guns are viewed by those who do not own one. In Ireland we can only own them for sport shooting i.e. target shooting and game hunting.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

packas wrote: »
    Also don't forget it's quite acceptable in the USA to own a gun for self defence. That right in itself can add a whole different complexity to how guns are viewed by those who do not own one. In Ireland we can only own them for sport shooting i.e. target shooting and game hunting.
    Also don't forget that going down that thread of discussion is against the forum charter. No harm done so far, but it's one of those topics that can take off if you're not cautious, and then you've got 563 posts of everyone fighting with each other in an all-out flamefest, and the mods lose a good hour deleting it all and banning everyone. So lets not go there :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭mumhaabu

I am having trouble with this attachment this is my 3rd attempt at it. Hopefully this will work

Article

If this dosen't work I'll sign up for a photobucket or flickr as I am having trouble uploading as I'm only on an 8Kbps O2 GPRS Connection :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Ah, the News of the World. And we didn't even get onto the page with the scantily-clad young lady :rolleyes:
    I'd write a letter of complaint, but, well... it's the News of the World fer feck's sake. You might as well worry about the colour of Rupert Murdock's toilet paper...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭thehair

Sparks wrote: »
    Ah, the News of the World. And we didn't even get onto the page with the scantily-clad young lady :rolleyes:
    I'd write a letter of complaint, but, well... it's the News of the World fer feck's sake. You might as well worry about the colour of Rupert Murdock's toilet paper...

+1steve:D what colour is no no dont go there:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭Gunter Mauser

VOTE NO TO LISBON ?

Last edited by mumhaabu; Today at 16:47. Reason: attachment failed to upload 1st time Quote = [mumhaabu]

Thats a real no no! Are you mad not fair & balanced.

Subliminal message before a vote on a Shooting Forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,023 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

QUOTE]I have seen liberal gun laws in the United States where over 90% of the population is armed [/QUOTE]

If you belive the Brady campaign and Moms against guns,or Micheal Moore maybe. :rolleyes:

I was amazed at the situation in the USA where one can saunter into a Walmart and buy guns (with a 3 day background check) and ammo.

Like to know in what State that occurs,and what type of "guns" exactly are you talking about. A 22 air pistol or a full auto machine gun??
    You can buy an air rifle over there or a black powder firearm in the US,without much paperwork.But over here they both are classified as firearms and need a liscense.
    Dont bother trying that in Kalifornia,or any of the East coast States.You wont get ANYTHING that goes Bang over the counter in Wally Mart that easy.There is a ten day waiting period for long arms.IE rifles&pistols and a 21 day waiting period for handguns in CA.Nor will you get it in NYC,Washington DC.Chichago,Boston,New Orleans ,Masetucheses[sic].Most states have a 4to 5 day waiting period on longarms and 10days on handguns
    As a newbie to shooting and a general libertarian pacifist (I don't like guns tbh, but I am not against them either) I am intrigued at this article and if someone would care to explain how Ireland compares to the USA in terms of Gun control. Having recently shot a gun for the first time (a whole new experience for me) in the USA it got me thinking about how we fare with this issue over here.
    [/QUOTE]

You cant compare the US and Ireland/Europe on gun laws.
    It is a constitutional right in the US.No other country in the EU or the World ASFIK has that in their constitutions.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭thehair

who rembers the post

BUY A CAR AND GET A FREE GUN:D:D:D
    i just got a car what did i get 15euro for PETROL:p

Advertisement