Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.204, 22-250 For .22

Options
  • 09-06-2008 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭

Can an cert for a .22 be amended for a .204 or a .22-250?
    Cheers.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

The law allows any firearm to be substituted provided the charge for licensing the new firearm is not greater than the charge was for the old one.

The practice is somewhat different though, based on what has been said here.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Stranger things have happened though. It's all dependant on your Super. Most won't go from rimfire to centrefire or through big calibre changes on a straight alteration, but some will.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

I have heard of a lot of .22 rimfires being changed for Swifts though, because on paper all they see is .22 and run with that in a lot of cases. Also, there's a common misconception that smaller is less powerful (See .204 Ruger and .17 HMR versus .22lr for just how wring that is) and so "downsizing" seems to be somewhat easier than going up. All this is hearsay and conjecture however, and may be entirely unrepresentative of what happens when you go to try and change a cert, so best to listen to this and more or less discard it before trying yourself. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭boc121

Cheers lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

ive gone from .17 to .22 and back to .17 on mine so you could definatly get away with a .17centre fire 17rem or something like that .204ruger would be a good bet too the 250 is well known though just depends if you have a good valid reason and permission and a fair super and not off your nut you should be granted most things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

When i was going from .22lr to .223 it was just changed straight over but that was because i know the super personaly cause he said he would normaly make lads he does not know to well re-apply.

I have a .223 that i want to keep, its just that i spotted this
    http://www.shoot.ie/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_24&products_id=143
    and its making my mouth water.
    Is .22-250 legal for deer and if you apply for one do you also have to apply for a deer cert?
    also would it be too much for foxing?
    Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

boc121 wrote: »
    Is .22-250 legal for deer and if you apply for one do you also have to apply for a deer cert?
    Cheers.
    It's still legal for deer ('though discouraged by the deer clubs/societies, as there are much more suitable calibres available), and you will need to have a deer hunting permit if applying for the Firearm Certificate on the basis of 'deer hunting'.
    It's a perfect calibre for fox, unless you're after them for pelts, in which case your existing .223 might be more suitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

Cheers.

That triangley barrel sure would make it hard to fit a mod!!!

Rovi wrote: »
    you will need to have a deer hunting permit if applying for the Firearm Certificate on the basis of 'deer hunting'.

What i mean is if i dont want it for deer, do i need to have a permit because its a deer caibre?
    Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

What i mean is if i dont want it for deer, do i need to have a permit because its a deer caibre?
    Cheers.
    No, but you'll still have to provide a 'good reason' for requiring a fullbore calibre.
    Deer hunting is one of the acceptable 'good reasons' for possession of a fullbore rifle (the deer permit is your proof of having somewhere to use it), the other main main ones that I know of are the destruction of vermin (rabbit, fox, etc), or target shooting.
    To apply on the basis of vermin destruction, you'll have to provide proof of access to suitable land (your own or others'), and for target shooting, membership of a target shooting club with a range suitable for the calibre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

My super has just refused to amend a 220 swift licence to a 22/250 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hezz700

The lack of knowledge is truly a terrible thing:(

Advertisement