Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Redundancy Pay

Options
  • 09-06-2008 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭

Right so,
    I've just been given my two weeks notice as the Company basically is letting staff go.
    My only problem is that I've been with this company *just* under the two years. Literally; I will have been with them 103 weeks at the end of my notice and I believe the cutoff is 104.

So my question really is: "Is there anything I can do (payments/redundancy wise) because I'm up ****s creek at the moment?"

I've asked would they extend it by a week and all they said was "Well that would be a cost to us."
    :mad:

Two weeks is a very short period to get another job and get back onto a wage, specially since the ecomony is bad at the moment.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭echosound

TBH, there's nothing really you can do. Even if you did meet the 2 year criterion, you wouldn't be entitled to much extra - I think statutory redundancy is only 2 weeks for every year you have worked, so at 2 yrs service, you would get tops 4 week's pay plus one bonus week, so basically a month's wage really.

The only route you have is to make sure you get all your holiday entitlements paid, any comission/bonus you are due, and hope that the company might give you a little "bonus" at their discretion. It sucks, happened to me last year too, let go a week before the two year period was up, and all I walked out of there with was my holiday pay that was due and a few hundred of a "bonus" the company gave me "as a token of our appreciation".

Unless you have a union campaigning for a redundancy package, there's little hope I'm afraid of you being able to change your situation.
    see here for further info redundancy info

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭/V\etalfish

Yeah I was reading up on a few sites and it looks like I'm out of luck there, it's just the extra months pay would have tide me over so I could try and get a job in the line of work I want rather than a crap temp job until I find something better.

Thanks for the reply was really only a shot in the dark to see if there was anything I was missing.

Advertisement