Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting to UCD

Options
  • 09-06-2008 4:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

Hi All,

I will be attending UCD in Sept as a full time student.
    I will be travelling from Dundalk. Does anyone know the best way to get to UCD daily using public transport.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭EL_Loco

get the train, depending on the time some will go all the way to bray from dundalk. Otherwise you'll have to change to get a dart.

sydney parade is the stop you want. From there you can walk (about 15-20minutes) or get a bus. Lots of bikes locked up around this dart stop and for the most part are left alone, so you might invest in a bike to make getting to and from the dart station easier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Lins

Best way to get there is probably train to Connolly then walk up to O' Connell Street and get the 10 bus out to the college. Make sure you get a student travel card(available in the college-given out in the tunnel between library and arts block)to get cheaper train rates.

Cheapest way to get there is probably to get a €50 Matthews bus ticket and get off at last stop(parnell street) walk to O'Connell Street and then the 10 out to the college. The 10 goes from towards the top of O'Connell Street, just up from Burger King, stop is outside a Budget Travel shop I think..

You should seriously consider moving to Dublin whilst at college as commute will be a total pain and it'll be difficult to make friends if you can't go out with them etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭ant043

second that. I have been commuting there from dundalk for the last two years. It is a total pain and a lot of hassle. You are going to be wrecked all the time. I'd say if you were doing a course with maybe one or two days off in a week it might be bearable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 sammylouth

Thanks for the directions.
    I know staying in Dublin would be the best option, but I am married with a kid dont think the wife would like that, its only a year course so I will grin and bear it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭armada104

Also, if you're using the train and bus and travelling 5 days a week, it might be worthwhile to get a Giant Hop ticket. They're €72.50 and would cover you for the train from Dundalk and any Dublin Bus.

http://www.dublinbus.ie/fares_and_tickets/weekly.asp

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Kalashnikov_Kid

http://www.matthewscoach.com/matthews_website/dublink_xprs_dundalk_dublin.php

Matthews Bus will leave you at Parnell St., around the corner from O'Connell Street where a 10, 145, 746 or 46a/b/c/d/e bus will leave you at UCD. It's infinately more reliable than the train (nearly always leaves right on time, or early if the bus is full), and I'm pretty sure bus service is infrequent from Sydney parade to college. Using Matthews bus will cut no. of journeys from 3 to 2 which I think makes it you're best option.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭lizzyvera

I think the best way would be to get the train to dublin and the dart to sydney parade, then walk. You'll be commuting for a long time so it's best to get a train where you'll have a good table to work at. I used to get the dart or train from malahide every day and I found the walk pleasent. Go up the little road across from RTE and in the entrance beside health science for a nicer walk than along the dual carriageway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭AIR-AUSSIE

Get the train to Sydney Parade and walk/cycle/get bus.

The Matthews Bus isn't too good getting into Dublin at peak times.

I commuted from Drogheda for a year which was tough enough, commuting from Dundalk to the other side of Dublin sounds a bit too much for me.

Depending on how hard your timetable is I would advise living in Dublin its better not only for transport but being able to go out in dublin and that (thats if your budget can afford it).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 janeyxox

HI,

Have a course in UCD nxt sat , usually get bus but with this bus strike for 28th,:mad: guna have to attempt to get dart. I know the closest dart is sydney parade, but havent a clue how to get there from there. Can somebody ple give me walking directions to UCD from s parade, would really appreciate it, as i have v bad directon and dont wana jst chance it. thanx :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭kev_s88

janeyxox wrote: »
    HI,

Have a course in UCD nxt sat , usually get bus but with this bus strike for 28th,:mad: guna have to attempt to get dart. I know the closest dart is sydney parade, but havent a clue how to get there from there. Can somebody ple give me walking directions to UCD from s parade, would really appreciate it, as i have v bad directon and dont wana jst chance it. thanx :D

when you step out of Sydney Parade station, take a left and go straight towards the main road. when you're facing the Tesco take a left and take your first right turn up by St.Vincent's Hospital....continue straight up that road and you'll eventually reach the N11...cross over the road at RTE and go left and about 2 minute walk up to the main entrance into UCD

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Mary0000

Hi this has nothing to do with your question but I don't know how to post my own:(...Does anybody know is it possible to do 2 courses?Like to do a Plc aswell as doing something in college eg. Law or Business?...Or can anyone tell me how to post a question please!?

Thanks and sorry!

Advertisement