Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Removal of Traffic Lights & Street Signs to reduce accidents?

Options
  • 09-06-2008 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,193 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone read this evenings hearld, Dublin City Council are suggesting removing all traffic lights and road signs to reduce accidents, The thinking is drivers will be so confused they will slow down.....

Great idea but I still don't thinks it's as good as mine, we should allows animals to roam our street again, this will slow down motorists and will end speeding at night as the fear of hitting an Irish Wolf hound or a Cow would be enough of an incentive to slow down motorists.....cue nissan micras with bull bars;)

The northern terrority in Australia does not have speed limits outside of towns and it has the lowest motorist death rate in the world...

What's you thoughts, is removing street signs the way forward?

I can't wait, friday evening will be a hoot!!:D

delhi-rush-hour_ny-times.JPG

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Here's an idea that would guarantee a massive reduction of road deaths, even minor accidents and tailgating would all be gone! Replace the airbag in every car with a very pointy metal stake aimed towards the drivers face, about a foot long. Make it unremovable. Then you'll find everyone driving with such care and attention, that it'd be hard to see why anyone would ever crash again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭WHITE_P

Let the Madness begin :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

I would suggest removing some sets of pedestrian lights and replacing them with foot bridges where possible

this may alleviate a very small amount of traffic (but every little helps) ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

WHITE_P wrote: »
    Let the Madness begin :D
    Current situation of giving over loads of space to space-wasting cars is crazy. As the picture (from India?) shows, the people who waste the least space are making the most headway.

The idea is not so much to confuse drivers into driving less aggressively but to make them so uncertain as to their undeserved 'right of way', that they'll drive with more consideration towards others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭WHITE_P

Current situation of giving over loads of space to space-wasting cars is crazy. As the picture (from India?) shows, the people who waste the least space are making the most headway.

The idea is not so much to confuse drivers into driving less aggressively but to make them so uncertain as to their undeserved 'right of way', that they'll drive with more consideration towards others.

Just teach everyone from primary school up how to use the roads properly (irrespective of mode of transport) and the problem would be greatly reduced.

Courtesy also has a big part to play in resolving the problem, but that seems to be something that is sadly lacking in this country these day's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

WHITE_P wrote: »
    Courtesy also has a big part to play in resolving the problem, but that seems to be something that is sadly lacking in this country these day's.
    +1 Big time

• Registered Users Posts: 28,193 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Well it's not Ho Chi Min City...well done Einstein:D
    610x.jpg

I agree 100% with you..

The people making the most head way are using the least space and causing the least pollution..

I'm a motorist but i'm also a cyclist and a pedestrian...

I think people on scooters, bicycles, people with animals and pedestrians should have the right away full stop.....we've handed over our country to the car, what a waste of good human space...

Long gone are the picture pefect photos of "Rush Hour Ireland" :(

rush-hour.jpg

Advertisement