Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Paper 2

Options
  • 09-06-2008 5:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 45

Tips.....tips....tips???
    ;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭xxGalwayGirlxx

Ya please any tips....poetry, prose.....?????

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Oiche Nollag na mban

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

Study a few poems
    *THEN study how to answer poetry in general (the same buzz words apply across Irish poetry....'imagery' 'use of language' etc. Worst case scenario stuff, but a good general knowledge of answering questions on poetry will stand by you tomorrow.

An Triall
    anyone know what to look at here? I think something on the 'insight it gives us in to the culture of the time?' or the idea of the society being hypocritical are likely?

Prós
    I'm ****ed here. I'll await somebody elses wisdom.

History
    Hope for the nice ones. Give me two good personalities, and Ogham. Thanks Leaving Cert God.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 FJH

Good tip about poetry!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

For An Triail Im gonna just read over an English Synopsis, read over a sample question on Society in An Triail representing soceity in 1970's Ireland and maybe learn a few quotes.
    Now I have to go study the entire Irish Paper 2 course. All I can say is thank god the poems are on the paper! Id be lost without that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭monellia

Fiche Bliain ag Fás, I'm tnellin' ya! That Bhlascaoid comprehension was a HINT if e'er I saw!

Prose:

An Cearrbhach Mac Cába:
    • About a Gambler who lost everything he owned one night
    • Finds wife in labour
    • shes being helped by local women
    • he leaves meets god - god says he will baptise the baby and death says he will be godfather
    • Gambler asks God for 3 wishes(achainí)
    • to be best gmbler, best doctor, and that if anyone tries to steal and apple from his tree they will become stuck to the tree
    • Death doesnt know about his last wish
    • Gambler makes a deal with the devil that if death sits at the head of the bed of any person being treated by the gambler, the person must die
    • But the Gambler breks this deal and death tries to kill him by strangling him
    • over the next few years,the gambler manages to escape death by playing tricks
    • One trick was using the apple tree
    • Death eventually takes the Gambler by pretending to be an orphaned kid, killing the gambler while he was praying
    • One of the tricks the gambler played was that death could not take him until he says a prayer
    • The gambler goes to hell(ifreann)
    • But with the gambling skills, he manages to take all of their possesions and he is thrown out
    • For a while he sits outside the gates of heaven playing cards
    • St.peter takes pity on him because he had been kind to the orphan
    • He is let into heaven
    • His cards are still to be seen outside the gates
    THEME:
    • Forlámhas an Bháis ( Authority of Death)
    • Creideamh ( Faith)
    • Cearrbhaches ( Gambling)
    • dríocht (Magic)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Caoimhe89

I highly doubt Cearrbhach Mac Caba's coming up. It was up the past two years... methinks?

My guesses for HL Poetry are: An Mhathair, Dar mb'Fheidir Aris Dar gCumann, Oiche Nollaig na mBan and... Dan do Mhelissa.

Prose: Fiche Bliain ag Fas, Clare sa Speir, hopefully Lig Sinn i gCathu

but for poetry, use phrases like
    "Cruthaionn an file iomhánna éifeachtacha tri..."=the poet creates effective images by...
    "Baineann an file usáid as friotal simpli, gonta chun an téama a chur in iul."=the poet uses simple language to show the theme
    "Tá an dán ar maos le tagairti de..."=The poem is full of references to...
    "Tá mothucháin an fhile léirithe go cruinn..."=the poet's feelings are clearly shown

Does anyone know what Lig sin I gcathu is roughly about??

Does anyone know what Lig sin I gcathu is roughly about??

A college student who never goes in to college but comes in during the easter break to collect his scholarship cheque, with hillarious results.

(I made the last bit up) :D

• Advertisement

FJH wrote: »
    A college student who never goes in to college but comes in during the easter break to collect his scholarship cheque, with hillarious results.

(I made the last bit up) :D

I'll write that down so towmorow as im so confused with that bloody story, i'll just waffle on.........its what im good at!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭BoozyBabe

How do I get myself revved up for more study?
    I've been sitting here for the last hour & I still haven't taken the books out & time isn't exactly off the essence.

I'm just deflated after the Aural. I'm banking on Oiche Nollaig or An Mhathair to come up, if not, that's another 35 marks down the tube.

I'm banking on two of the following coming up for stair:-
    Ruraiocht
    Amhran
    Bealoideas
    Gaeltacht
    Ogham
    (& I've 3 poets learned)
    If not, that's another 15-30 marks gone.

After the aural, I feel I can't afford to lose marks.

I hope I'm over reacting, as I'm only looking for 55%, but this eve has just knocked my confidence!:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 rachelmcg1989

i know exactly how you feel boozybabe, everyone came out of the aural today happy, i had no idea what was goin on in it! ive never been good with aural, i find it really hard to listen to it, try to write my answer down really fast, while tryin to remember what the answer is, and still listening to the tape for answers to the next questions, plus for some reason i get distracted so easily, and the littlest things annoy me, like people rubbing out things on their paper, moving of a chair, someone breathing heavily, clicking of pens, ARGH SHURUP!

did anyone listen to 2fm there? anyone catch what the predictions are for tomorrow in irish higher level? poems, pros, stair na gaeilge...anyone?

Poems - the 4 honours ones that didnt come up.

Maybe not McCaba cos it came up for the last 2 years

Stair - Aisling, Ruraoicht/finnaioct, Ohm, Gaeltact, na Mbard and a few others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 crazy-cooke

seriously........there's no point getting stresed out now....everthing will work out.....and think about it..... a whole summer of doing nothing and relaxing ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :)

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭littlneutralone

Any guidelines on how long answers should be?

Like for 20-25 marks, should you be getting about two pages?
    Maybe a page for 10-15 marks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 chairmanWOW!

Any guidelines on how long answers should be?

isnt it like...say the question is 25marks...then its 5paragraphs with one quote or reference to the text in each...im pretty sure thats it.:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Knuffel

So a paragraph+quote for every 5 marks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Orlaith*

PrivateEye wrote: »
    Study a few poems
    *THEN study how to answer poetry in general (the same buzz words apply across Irish poetry....'imagery' 'use of language' etc. Worst case scenario stuff, but a good general knowledge of answering questions on poetry will stand by you tomorrow.

An Triall
    anyone know what to look at here? I think something on the 'insight it gives us in to the culture of the time?' or the idea of the society being hypocritical are likely?

Prós
    I'm ****ed here. I'll await somebody elses wisdom.

History
    Hope for the nice ones. Give me two good personalities, and Ogham. Thanks Leaving Cert God.

I was talking to my Irish teacher today, and he said that a character question is very likely for An Triail, don't quote me on that though!

I bloody hope it's a character question!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Knuffel

Is Gealt? likely does anyone know? We were told to look out for Bimse Buan and Oiche Nollaig

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭lovechem

Orlaith* wrote: »
    I was talking to my Irish teacher today, and he said that a character question is very likely for An Triail, don't quote me on that though!

I bloody hope it's a character question!

A balls, well ill just write an intro to the character and then discuss sochai in eirinn blah blah hahha. sorteddddd.

Imagine if they threw on uirchill an chreagain for the CRAIC. I'd ACTUALLY cry. Highly doubt it tho!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭BaRcOe

titan18 wrote: »
    Oiche Nollag na mban

Ye it hasn't come up since 2004!!

littlneutralone:

hahato your siggy!!:D:D

seriously........there's no point getting stresed out now....everthing will work out.....and think about it..... a whole summer of doing nothing and relaxing ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :)

Amen!!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭brazilicious

any hints for an triail?? im pretty much banking on maire/her mother/paidraig.... would ya say ill get away with it??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭stripypumkin

its all the character questions thats came up an mhathair and mailli have been on them!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 N03L R3V

This is my take on it any way. Hope it helps

Feictear moran greann sa sceal seo. Chuaigh Muiris agus Tomas go rasai Fionntra. Fuair siad airgead poca agys shocraigh siad dul go dti teach oil. Tar eis cupla pointa deirigh Tomas seafoideach agus thainig an tonn taosach ar Mhuiris. Ta an cur sios ar na buachailli ag ol piontai sa bhear an ghreanmhar. Tar eis tamall bhi Tomas coach ar meisce. Ta an cur sios ar Thomas ag caitheamh piopa agus ag tabhairt dushlain do dhaoine, greannmhar fresin. Is eachtra greannmhar ata againn sa sceal seo. !!!

English

Alot of humour is to be found in this story. Muiris and Thomas went to the races. They got pocket money and decided to go to the pub. After a few pints Thomas became very silly and Muiris got sick. The desciption of the young boys drinking pints in the bar is very funny. After a while Thomas became very drunk. The description of Thomas smoking a pipe and challenging people is also very funny. It is a humorous even we have here in this story.

Would that be long enough as an answer? Just wondering?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 N03L R3V

i dont care i cant write any more than that haha its for ord level tho :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭brazilicious

its all the character questions thats came up an mhathair and mailli have been on them!!

mailí???:eek: surely we wouldnt get a q just on her?? oh dear....:(

Advertisement