Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing company - ACA

• 09-06-2008 5:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭

Hi, Im wondering what would happen if I left my job after prof 3s?

I presume if I returned / went to a different company Id be able to continue on to FAE's?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Fruiti

I presume you're working with a training firm rather than in the Finance dept of a company?? It's possible to move firms during contract but you'll need to sort it out with both your old and new firms and the ICAI. You can't simply move jobs and continue on to FAE as the ICAI requires 3 years of experience preferably with the one firm, however, they will make exception in certain cases. A lot of the time, it's the 1st firm, i.e. the one you're leaving, which will cause the problems and refuse to release you from your contract and/or insist on you repaying the prof 3 fees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

Fruiti wrote: »
    and/or insist on you repaying the prof 3 fees.

And presumably my prof 2 fees too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Fruiti

Unfortunately yes its a possibility! that said, they may not, but I do know that changing training firm is not a straightforward task! Have you already done prof 3 or only doing it this year? Even if you're only doing it now, you'll do the FAEs in Sept 2009, would you not consider sticking it out for one more year? Counting your study leave it's probably only 10/11 months! Or perhaps try changing dept? I have a friend who moved from Audit to Corp Finance in the final year of her contract and was much happier!

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Dick Turnip

hi kaptain redeye, i have just recently handed in my notice and asked for my firm to sign off on my contract. i have just done the cap1 exams and have nearly 1 year done under contract although i have been at the firm for a further 7 or 8 months before that.

my boss said he would have no problem signing off on my experience so far. There hasn't been any mention of repaying the fees but it is possible i will be asked for them as they are perfectly entitled to them.

I told them i was unhappy with accountancy and dublin in general and he was sound about it, BUT thats only the half of it as really i was hugely pissed off with the place itself as its a bit of shambles. but i didnt want to leave on bad terms or get into a slagging match so i didnt bring it up.

the procedure now is for me to get my experience diary up to date get it and my contract signed off on. then i can go look for another firm to take me on, when you do get a firm then notify the institute of the change.

i have been looking already and there are a good few jobs out there and plenty of them are willing to take on someone mid contract, although some are against it also.

hope thats been of some help!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

It was. thanks everyone for the replies and information

• Advertisement
Advertisement