Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which way will you vote (if at all)

Options

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

conkeroo wrote: »
    I honestly don't believe that if it is a No vote it will do irreperable damage so thats how I can come to my decision.
    I could put a brick through the window in front of me. It won't do any irreparable damage.

Still doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭conkeroo

oscarBravo wrote: »
    I could put a brick through the window in front of me. It won't do any irreparable damage.

Still doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

Not entirely true. By doing so, you risk paying for damages, a criminal record, a possible jail sentence. Not really the same thing.

Edit: Im prepared to take the consequences of voting No, I certainly wouldnt be prepared to take the consequences of putting a brick through a window. Hence I wouldnt put said brick through said window. Again, my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

I voted NO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

prepared to take the consequences of voting No

The beauty of a No vote...

is there really aren't any negative consequences.

Better the devil you know.
    The treaty is WIDE open to legal interpretation, they wont give us a referendum over parts of it in the future!

The majority of European citizens want a referndum. We have one. Why change Europe then.

A 'No' is a no to changing the current structure. While far from perfect, it is substantially better than whats on offer

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

MikeHoncho wrote: »
    My apologies for taking that up wrong in the first place.

No worries man. The quote system on this board really leaves people up to mis-interpretation!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭conkeroo

PrivateEye wrote: »
    ...While far from perfect, it is substantially better than whats on offer

This is the thing though, we dont know if thats fully true or not but I would agree..
    ...Better the devil you know.
    The treaty is WIDE open to legal interpretation...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭VoidStarNull

Except for transforming our government and diplomats into lame duck negotiators at EU level. (As well as striking down a treaty that is of significant benefit to Ireland.)
    The treaty is WIDE open to legal interpretation, they wont give us a referendum over parts of it in the future!
    Lisbon is the devil we know, it is a compromise document set down in black and white.

Without Lisbon, Europe must find another way to reform and no-one knows what it will be.
    The majority of European citizens want a referndum. We have one. Why change Europe then.

In Ireland we tend to assume that referenda are the ne plus ultra of democracy. But other countries have other traditions and it's a mistake to assume that they are seen this way elsewhere.

One could equally argue that referenda are open to exploitation by marginal extremists to gain a national platform, which they would never achieve in a general election.

A semi-loss is still a loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,151 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I Just Voted No - Only reason is I don't trust the government especially John Gormley the man who thinks he can change the weather - Ape of the highest order!!

Talking to the girls in the station, very poor turn out, they reckon about 30% - Surley that's not a victrory for whoever wins? Can it pass with 30% of the population...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

A 'No' is a no to changing the current structure.
    That's not entirely true. For example, the Commission will be reduced in number under Nice anyway, so we simply cannot "keep our commissioner" as Libertas would like. Nice, unfortunately, did not set out any concrete details on how this would be carried out. Lisbon sets out an equal system for all states. If it is rejected, we will have a new system, but who knows what that system will be.

The EU will change because the current system is unsuitable for 27-30 member states. A No vote will simply set that process back a few years, giving emerging economies like China the chance to take a bite out of Europe's prosperity.

Oh and I've just voted Yes :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭cheeky_monkey

A 'No' is a no to changing the current structure. While far from perfect, it is substantially better than whats on offer

I like it. Europe is good for Ireland and good for Europeans and I am voting for us and for them because this treaty /is/ wide open. I like living in Ireland and if we lose control over certain things it will cost us all long term.

I'm off to vote No and nobody is going to stop me.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭STUBBORNGIRL

I Just Voted No - Only reason is I don't trust the government especially John Gormley the man who thinks he can change the weather - Ape of the highest order!!

Talking to the girls in the station, very poor turn out, they reckon about 30% - Surley that's not a victrory for whoever wins? Can it pass with 30% of the population...

I agree Drunkmonkey! i think that the reason that most of the Govt are rooting for a yes vote is because they know if it is a NO result that the people do not have faith in the Govt! which they dont!

I am Voting NO!!!!! i dont know much about it but i know that we cant be any worse off than we are - and they cant go changing what we have because we voted no!

Am i right to believe that we(the people ) lose our voice, that there will be no more referendums!! Someone please reply quick as i am leaving in about 10 mins to vote and would like to know this!!! also could people be sent to serve time in the army without wanting to! (seems like a jail sentence for those who wouldnt want to go) Sickening!!! I would be scared to say YES to be honest!

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭STUBBORNGIRL

ha ha! all the monkeys are voting NO!! Cheeky and Drunken! Sorry couldnt resist!

VOTE NO!!!!! BE a monkey!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭VoidStarNull

Am i right to believe that we(the people ) lose our voice, that there will be no more referendums!!
    No the treaty does not affect the need for referenda in Ireland on any future changes to what the EU can do.
    also could people be sent to serve time in the army without wanting to! (seems like a jail sentence for those who wouldnt want to go) Sickening!!! I would be scared to say YES to be honest!

No people cannot be sent in serve in any army without wanting to. The treaty does not create any European army and does not mandate conscription.

Perhaps you should visit the referendum commission web-site before casting your vote? Click here

This vote is important for Ireland's future but there is a lot of misinformation around. Know the facts before you vote.

*whistles* I ain't touching this one with a barge poll. You go ahead and vote for your gut instinct stubborngirl ;)

This vote is important for Ireland's future but there is a lot of misinformation around. Know the facts before you vote.

What know the facts like our politicans do?? Get out of it you chancer....:pac:

I smell young Finna Fail on the bords.!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

lol HALT! Are you voting yes or no? No? Get him, boys! Don't be afraid to use your nails!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

I only figured out yesterday that I wasn't entitled to vote anyway, even though I wouldn't have because it's too long to travel... It's an outrage!

lol HALT! Are you voting yes or no? No? Get him, boys! Don't be afraid to use your nails!

lay a hand on cheekys head and you'll have me to answer to...:(

Cheeky run for it, i've got you covered, The fat politicans are trying to eat us again!!!

Damn dirty apes...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 kevinkav

I voted no. This whole campaign was a joke from both sides. Avril Doyle,a Fine Gael MEP from where I live,stopped my friends on the town today and said we owe it to the EU to vote this in. I'm not buying into that. Our politicians know as little about this as the public do,so the last thing I want to do is trust anybody who tells me to say yes. However,I do believe Sinn Féin prompting a no vote is actually taking away from the creedence of no for many people...

Damn dirty apes...

Just so you know the differecne...

I've attached some pictures, shouldn't be to hard, even for you to spot the differecne between the monkey and the ape:)

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

conkeroo wrote: »
    Not entirely true. By doing so, you risk paying for damages, a criminal record, a possible jail sentence. Not really the same thing.
    You're assuming too much. It's my window, and I can do what I want with it.

I can see that an analogy is just going to complicate things, so I'll speak plainly: I don't accept that it's ok to do damage, just because you believe it can be repaired. This is doubly true if you're not the one that has to do the repairing.
    Edit: Im prepared to take the consequences of voting No...
    What consequences are those?

I'd better speak plainly again: that's a rhetorical question. You don't know the answer, any more than I do.

The problem with a no vote is that we haven't a clue what the consequences will be.
    The majority of European citizens want a referndum.
    Please link to the plebiscite (hell, even the opinion poll) that shows this to be the case.
    I wouldn't dream of stopping you. I think you're making the wrong decision, but you have every right to make it.

kevinkav wrote: »
    I do believe Sinn Féin prompting a no vote is actually taking away from the creedence of no for many people...

A Finna Failure politician said to me this morning, A No vote is a vote for Sinn Fein surley your not going to side with those Xx###xx

Yea like that's going to swing me to the yes side, idiot, our political system is in tatters, If fairness to Sinn Fein they had no hand in the downfall of the economy. I'm stating to think that Sinn Fein in power mighten be such a bad thing, They seem to have our intrests at heart and don't bull**** us or call the opposition names...

even for you
    Hey what's this? I thought we were engaging in light-hearted banter!

But I could equally say no one know's where a yes vote will bring us, wording in places are so vague and is the cause, in my opinion, of much of the misunderstanding going round. So I guess it depends how you look at it.

Oh and the monkey picture was genius :)

oscarBravo wrote: »

The problem with a no vote is that we haven't a clue what the consequences will be.

Ohh the Sky is going to fall in......!!

A No vote will mean we'll have to have another vote that's all.....

Vote No until you understand exactly the consequences of a Yes Vote....

Hey what's this? I thought we were engaging in light-hearted banter!

Hey you scared cheeky:) Don't be trying to pull a fast one by acting all nicey nice, we know what you humans are like, 4 legs good, 2 legs bad!!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Xcellor

I've seen posters of monkeys like "won't see you won't hear you"

By that definition there is a lot of monkeys here. Voting No because you can't be arsed to find out what a yes vote means is really stupid.

Europe should just kick ireland out on its arse if the vote is rejected because of ignorant people!!

• Advertisement

No the treaty does not affect the need for referenda in Ireland on any future changes to what the EU can do.

Actually man I have to call you up on this as not technically true. The EU will be able to change votes in certain areas from unanimous to weighted majority with just the support of the government. That is a change as we would currently need a referendum. Only a small point but still rellevant.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement