Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4/8/10 panel shorts-whats the difference?

Options
  • 09-06-2008 6:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,
    am looking for some good cycling shorts as my training will be brining me up from two hours onwards in the saddle.

I was looking at the chain reaction web site and noticed that some shorts are advertised as 4 panel or 8 panel shorts. With each increase in the number of panels, there is also a price increase thus I'm assuming the greater the number of panels the better the shorts. What panels are they referring to? Does it mean that the pattern has more pieces and therefore more give?

Also, if anyone can recommend cycle shorts for a small lady then I'd be most grateful. I have done a search here but haven't found any recommendations.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I was looking at the chain reaction web site and noticed that some shorts are advertised as 4 panel or 8 panel shorts. With each increase in the number of panels, there is also a price increase thus I'm assuming the greater the number of panels the better the shorts. What panels are they referring to? Does it mean that the pattern has more pieces and therefore more give?
    That is the basic idea- shorts are stitched together from multiple panels of lycra and with more panels they can be shaped to your body better. 8 is generally considered "enough." I believe women's and men's shorts tend to be quite different with regard to both pad and cut so make sure to go for women's ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭zorkmundsson

blorg wrote: »
    I believe women's and men's shorts tend to be quite different with regard to both pad and cut so make sure to go for women's ones.
    entirely true. bought a pair of cycling shorts from lidl last time around; got them home to find out they were women's. different "fit" and no mistake...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Unless they are bib shorts the fit isn't that different. I can't tell whether I'm wearing her cycling shorts or my own :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭bunnygreen

i bet she can though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

I buy a lot of my cycling clothes from prendas.co.uk. Unlike many websites they stock a big selection. However, often they do not stock all sizes, probably because they get some of the stock in bulk (end of range) and sell what they get. I bought Santini Twist Gel bib shorts from them about two weeks ago, and wore them for the first time on the Wicklow 200. They were comfortable, and gave no problems.

They stock Ladies Santini Twist Gel, but looking at their site they only have sizes L, XL, XXL in stock at £45 sterling. In the mens sizes they have from XS to XXXL in stock.
    This is the bib (black)
    http://www.prendas.co.uk/details.asp?typ=typ&fkid=5&ID=1705

Why not email them and ask for your size?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

This website might be more useful. www.bikerader.com are the publishers of Cycling Plus magazine. The magazine reviews products every month, and you can search the bikeradar.com site for bib shorts ratings.

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/category/clothing/shorts/lycra/1?orderby=highestrated&results=12

You can sort the listings by "highest rated", price ascending / descending (click the Apply button at the top). The mens and womens shorts are in one list, so you will need to page down.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Cycling Plus also did a big review of bib shorts in last months magazine... I'll pull it out when I get home, and let you know what they rated for the ladies!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

Thanks guys, I really appreciate all the information.

Hats off to the contributors on this forum. There's always traffic and the mails are well-written, informative and very funny (where appropriate of course).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 RedTea

http://wheelandsprocket.com/page.cfm?pageID=101

found this explaining shorts and the differences
    You might find it useful...

"Believe it or not, in the early days of professional cycling, some racers, desperate for relief from saddle sores, actually put steaks in their shorts for padding!"

Advertisement