Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just been trollied!!

Options
  • 09-06-2008 6:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭

I was shopping away minding my own business in a large supermarket in terryland on the headford road begins with D and ends in S, paid for my stuff and was driving my trolly out the from door at a normal enough speed (for a trolly!) when all of a sudden it stopped. I was winded, the handle got me right in the ribs didnt know what hit me. Thought I`d hit something, so standing there sore and confused and trying to move the damn thing I eventually realise there is an alarm going off- and up wanders a manager of sorts ( I presume as she was wearing a suit). "Oh its locked up" she says, "I noticed it just hit me some blow to the ribs !!"I reply. She asked me what checkout i came through- How should I know? "Is it on the reciept" I enquire - she glances at the reciept and says "oh 5" (I still dont see where she made out she saw the checkout number), waved her magic wand at the wheels of my trolly and mutters something about the checkout not unlocking the trolly!! followed by a sort of afterthought of "sorry".

My question is has this happened to anyone else?
    Or do i now suddenly look like a dodgy sort?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭gd1987

First I've heard of it. Can Imagine its very funny to see:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭The Queen

Happened to me in Briarhill. The security guard came running up, was really apologetic and unlocked it. Was very painful. I had a dark, dark bruise for about three weeks. :(

I FEEL YOUR PAIN!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Lol, injuring your customers. Fair play Dunnes.

/slow clap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I'm lost.
    Are these the metal trolleys you push? There is nothing electronic on them.

Do Dunnes have another type? I've not seen them before

micmclo wrote: »
    I'm lost.
    Are these the metal trolleys you push? There is nothing electronic on them.

Do Dunnes have another type? I've not seen them before
    They have small units just above the wheels afair.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Edit: Sherifu has all the technical details so my post was incorrect, thanks

They're not motorised, they just lock up when they get to a sensor at the edge of the shop unless they've been unlocked at a checkout as far as I can make out. They would also lock up at the edge of the Dunnes car park afair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Yep, small devices that stop trolleys being stolen, although this is the first I've heard of them locking up upon exiting the shop.

Although when I read that you've been "trollied" I expected something far worse, as in bunch of skangbags pushing a trolly out in front of a moving vehicle, trying to cause serious damage and possibly a crash, that kind of trollied.

Yep, small devices that stop trolleys being stolen, although this is the first I've heard of them locking up upon exiting the shop.
    Ya, must be a fairly new thing.
    Although when I read that you've been "trollied" I expected something far worse, as in bunch of skangbags pushing a trolly out in front of a moving vehicle, trying to cause serious damage and possibly a crash, that kind of trollied.
    Yep, this is what I was expecting. Car damaged with a trolly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭tristanc

I misread it as trolled, and was wondering what the real-life equiv of trolling was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭forestfruits

Sorry to disappoint- No car damage- just a little me damage! mainly just embarassed, little bruised but starting to see the funny side of it!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

everytime i go shopping in that establishment on the headford road i get little tiny shocks from their trollies. i have to push it around the store with a jumper covering my hands from the push bar....

am i a freak of nature?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

am i a freak of nature?

If you have to ask, the answer is clearly yes!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Hey, a broken rib or two is worth not having to go to T***o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

everytime i go shopping in that establishment on the headford road i get little tiny shocks from their trollies. i have to push it around the store with a jumper covering my hands from the push bar....

am i a freak of nature?

It's the fcuking handles on the freezer doors that get me. Every. Single. Time. Put some cheap fcuking plastic on them for God's sake

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

The first thing you should have done when the trolley hit you is get down on the ground and start rolling around crying aaahhh my neck, my neck, aaaaaahhhh, my back, I can't feel my legs....

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭gd1987

^^^ lol, bags of money.

ScumLord wrote: »
    The first thing you should have done when the trolley hit you is get down on the ground and start rolling around crying aaahhh my neck, my neck, aaaaaahhhh, my back, I can't feel my legs....

Exactly, because what we want is a more litigious society.
    Because asking to see the manager and verbally slapping him/her about the issue wouldn't achieve greater satisfaction far more quickly and cheaply.

po0k wrote: »
    Exactly, because what we want is a more litigious society.
    Because asking to see the manager and verbally slapping him/her about the issue wouldn't achieve greater satisfaction far more quickly and cheaply.
    If you hit the manager a slap you'd get done. Society encourages people to sue rather than deal with little problems themselfs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

Heh, stupid Dunnes they'll never stop me from stealing trolleys. For my next daring scheme, I'll attach some simple childs stabilisers to further my diabolical plans.

2646-4235-main-astabs2-90.jpg

• Advertisement

toiletduck wrote: »
    Heh, stupid Dunnes they'll never stop me from stealing trolleys. For my next daring scheme, I'll attach some simple childs stabilisers to further my diabolical plans.

2646-4235-main-astabs2-90.jpg
    If you hopped in the trolley and put them on your arms as a type of hand substitute you'd be like a trolley centaur, half man, half trolley. A modern legend.

a trolley centaur, half man, half trolley. A modern legend.

Mild mannered trolley centaur by day, vigilante-against-those-who-throw-trolleys-in-canals by night.

Mild mannered trolley centaur by day, vigilante-against-those-who-throw-trolleys-in-canals by night.
    I'm scared. :(

If you hit the manager a slap you'd get done. Society encourages people to sue rather than deal with little problems themselfs.

VERBALLY

Tits to societé.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Verbal_Kint

security are uncomfortable about approaching reasonably respectful people as sometimes especially women (sorry but true) will go on the rampage as they feel embarrassed about being asked if they "mistakenly" placed something in their trolley without paying for it. this wheel locking thing in the store is more than likely a way for them to check your receipt or at least see if you act nervous or angry.

/dons tin foil hat

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Fly High

am i a freak of nature?

The exact same thing happens to me every damn time! I usually end up laughing so hard that I can't push the trolley... then forget and shock myself all over again... It's a serious issue :(

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Wouldn't you be terribly at risk of kidnap from those who have a spare euro coin?

Even Superman had kryptonite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭forestfruits

My god- simple story of poor old me getting trollied and now all of a sudden its "mild mannered trolley centaur by day, vigilante-against-those-who-throw-trolleys-in-canals by night"

I love it!:D

Advertisement