Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish essay 2day

Options
  • 09-06-2008 6:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

how much did you write , i had 2 and a half pages straight from the book , was perfectly done,my mate done 5 .do u think this will affect my marks or can i still get an A in my essay?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭xxGalwayGirlxx

Quality not Quantity!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

Four pages myself, seemed a nice length.

Plenty of nice words and a wise old saying or two.

sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Dr. Baltar

Quality not Quantity!!

This is true, but you need to write at least a page and a half or else you do lose marks.

EDIT: I wrote 3 and a half pages on the health system. I wasn't 100% happy with it, but I think I've passed paper 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭monellia

Just under three pages of lovely flowery Irish sprinkled with obscure vocab and I even took care with my handwriting :cool:

I really need to get over my essay.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭eoin2nc

But does it not say not to go over 400-500 words?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 irishslainte

so my essay is ok it was all perfect irish , complex sentences n all that but should an essay straight from the book be perfect for marks as it was word for word

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 FJH

eoin2nc wrote: »

500-600 words, doubt they'd penalise you for going over though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

It says don't go over 500-600 words. I wrote about 580, which is just over 3 pages in my handwriting. Could have written more but I didn't want added length in which to make grammatical errors. Wrote a vitriolic rant about the media. Hurray!

And if you reproduced a perfect essay from a book, provided you don't get caught for plagiarism, I'm guessing you'll get pretty high marks, considering it's 80% for accuracy of language...

right its grand everything in the book went down and that accounts for over 600 words , must just be my small writing

ah here the books are there to learn from man , plagiarism who is he?:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭monellia

eoin2nc wrote: »
    Mícheál O Ruairc's Revise Wise says you don't have to write more than 500-600 words but I'm sure if there was a restriction on the amount of words you can write, you'd be warned. Better write loads than write too little, I should think. But yeh, quality over quantity says you
    so my essay is ok it was all perfect irish , complex sentences n all that but should an essay straight from the book be perfect for marks as it was word for word
    Examiners are always on the look-out for learnt off material, so if you took it straight from from a well-known book I'd say you'd be penalised to the nines for plagiarism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 FJH

monellia wrote: »
    Mícheál O Ruairc's Revise Wise says you don't have to write more than 500-600 words but I'm sure if there was a restriction on the amount of words you can write, you'd be warned. Better write loads than write too little, I should think. But yeh, quality over quantity says you

Examiners are always on the look-out for learnt off material, so if you took it straight from from a well-known book I'd say you'd be penalised to the nines for plagiarism.

Once you're Irish is good, they won't penalise you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 karkar

I wrote about 550 words, but I don't think it is really important.
    It's better to have a decent 350-400 than a watered down 500-600 with no points and bad grammar, so I'm sure it's fine!

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭bUILDERtHEbOB

I wrote 2 1/2 pages on the things that I love essay, pretty soft like.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭kaki

I did around 4 pages (but I skip lines between paragraphs and suchlike, so it's not that long) on the "Diol agus Ceannach- reiligiun nua no haoise seo" essay. Brought in materialism, Celtic Tiger, decline of the church, drugs and violence. Had Ross O Carroll -Kelly as a "priest" of our times. Hoping for a fairly liberal corrector :p

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭muffinman

monellia wrote: »
    Mícheál O Ruairc's Revise Wise says you don't have to write more than 500-600 words but I'm sure if there was a restriction on the amount of words you can write, you'd be warned.

The actual paper said this year Ní gá níos mó ná 500-600 focal a scríobh or something along those lines.. And for people talking about pages.. It's all relative.. I wrote less than 2 pages and over 700 words :)

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭22diamonds

I had 3 pages and 590 words, my writing is fairly big though.
    Yes, I counted all my words.... *blushes*.. I had a lot of free time at the end! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

i barely managed to make it to 2 n a half pages...i made it up on the spot!! How the media is responsible for the cocktail of sex drugs booze and violence todays young people are exposed to!! Dont tink i did too badly but i use dat fairly generously!! As far as i no, plagerism is only a problem in english essays, as long as the grammers ok in irish essays you're sorted! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 46 PuddinBum

Fancy a giggle?
    I did the things that make me happy essay and basically said not alot makes me happy because of all the social problems HAHAHAHAHAHA

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Nanaki

I had just about 3 pages on the health system.
    Same essay was in our mocks! we'd done it a week before, people started laughing when they opened the paper today :D
    They don't want complex language, unless you can write it perfectly.
    And while they don't penalise for longer essays, they don't like it and the exmainer might be in a different frame of mind then.
    Also you've more chance of making mistakes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭melboix

A lad in m'year mistook 'aoibhneas' for surprise. So he wrote about how the drug situation in Ireland surprised him...Katy French's death may have mentioned mar rud a chuir aoibhneas air...*amused*

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭JamieK

I couldnt believe it wen i opened the paper....the essay i wrotte in english paper 1 about what makes me happy came up in irish too....:D:D:D

.....just spat out the exact same essay in irish....got like 4 and a half pages of my ridiculously small writing....but it wasnt that ****ty either...paper 1 in general went brilliant...paper 2 kinda raped me though to be honest....stupid an triail questions!!! grrr!!! :mad:

Advertisement