Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

bringing laptop abroad...

• 09-06-2008 6:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

ahoy,
    just wondering if anyone has any advise on bringing laptops abroad?? It'd be much appreciated.
    thanks,

Dave.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,174 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

See Post #8

Its what laptops were made for, tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 mosfo

hi,

the only problem you might have is the differing voltages. ire/uk have 220v (to 250) as standard while many other countries have 110. you'll have to make sure your power supply can handle both. i think most, if not all, can these days. ibm's certainly do. you'll also need a socket adapter thingamejiggy.

advise = advice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

mosfo wrote: »
    hi,

the only problem you might have is the differing voltages. ire/uk have 220v (to 250) as standard while many other countries have 110. you'll have to make sure your power supply can handle both. i think most, if not all, can these days. ibm's certainly do. you'll also need a socket adapter thingamejiggy.

99.9% of laptops made in the past five years can handle dual voltage, so this is not really a concern.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,174 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Either way it will display on your adapter what voltages it can accept. the typical Input range is 100-240V

• Advertisement

"think most, if not all, can these days"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭sliabh

There are a few countries funny about laptops. I did see two government officials spend 20 minutes filling out forms to get their laptops out of Cuba. Probably national resources there.

But for most places you will be fine other than worrying about power.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

mosfo wrote: »
    advise = advice

I know you are new around here, but please don't do things like that. It really irritates people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

I would say it depends on what kind of travelling you are doing, and making sure you will have a secure location to leave it when you are out an about.

So if you are staying in a hotel with a room safe then yeah you are probably good, if you are staying in a hostel and are going to be sharing your room I would think twice about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭sliabh

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    I know you are new around here, but please don't do things like that. It really irritates people.
    ...and you might as well fart in a hurricane as try to get people to use proper spelling and punctuation on the Internet :-)

• Advertisement

it was the beer that done it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭mumhaabu

Laptops are fine but people become to reliant on them and next thing op they are stolen go missing and a lifetimes work is lost.

You should always backup regularly on a laptop and as for security you can get cables which you can anchor them to a fixed object and encryption software so if it is stolen at least your data might not be, most are reformatted and flogged on the blackmarket anyway.

As for Hotel safes 99% of my experiences of those safes are quite often they are too small for a laptop and the hotels safety deposit box is a better bet. I have had hotel safes where I couldn't even fit my digital slr camera. they are geared towards cash, passports, ipods etc. Unless you go for one of those sleek uber small (less than A4 size) laptops from Sony.

Advertisement