Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drilling Tiles

Options
  • 09-06-2008 7:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41

Hi all. I am trying to drill tiles in order to hang shelf, soap dispenser etc. I think they are ceramic, about 6mm. The thing is Im having trouble getting through them. Gone through two tile drill bits already and only one hole drilled. Thanks in advance for any tips.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

The bits for tiles look like arrows

a667_1_sbl.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭mackey087

diamond tip blades are great for this. the bits in the picture above are good aswell. place a small bit of masking tape over the tile where you are going to drill. try not to drill to close to the grout.

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭batman2000

Try to drill at a lower speed and dont use too much force..depends on what tile you are drilling, ceramic, glass etc... Also don't use the hammer function on a drill if the drill has one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

Try to drill at a lower speed and dont use too much force..depends on what tile you are drilling, ceramic, glass etc... Also don't use the hammer function on a drill if the drill has one

..........and continuously drip water on drill tip while drilling from washing liquid dispenser. Cooling is critical.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Make sure you have a masonary bit and a good drill, no need to drip water or that, its only tiles you are drilling.
    Put some tape over the area to be drilled, will help to stop the drill bit slipping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Those Tile bits are a waste of time if you are trying to drill Porcelain tiles.
    They will fail very quickly.
    I ordered some diamond core drills from a supplier in Hong kong (Ebay) and they came in a week.
    They are far and away superior to those tungsten tipped drill bits as they don't have to remove as much material.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

Seen some core bits for tiles in some tile shop. They had a water tank attached and very labeled as diamond tipped. I *think* thay were plasplugs. Wonder if they are any good. They were about 15 quid

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

I've drilled lots of ceramic tiles using normal masonry bits, and a bit of masking tape to keep the drill located. Never had a problem, but low speed and no hammer action is, as earlier posters have said, essential.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Tile bits work ok on porcelain but only if you have them cooled, otherwise the bit overheats and looses its edge. Pain in the arse to keep cool when drilling a wall

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭stephenmarr

just use a masonary bit in a hammer drill but leave hammer off it will fly through the tile
    Hilti bits are the best ive used

hiltimm8.jpg
    hiltimm8.b0d2546b81.jpg

• Advertisement

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the bits I've recommended. You can't wear them on your finger or around your neck ,but they drill through tiles.

Not all tiles are the same either and you can destroy masonary bits on some.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭stephenmarr

@311
    the bits you showed are very good but i find they wear out quickly if your only doing a few holes they will be fine but i find if ive a few holes the hilti are better

I've drilled tiles using masonary bits no problems ,but in the last couple of years I'm finding tiles a lot harder to drill. It's almost like floor tiles where put up on the wall.

Advertisement