Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kids on road. Careful now!

Options
  • 09-06-2008 7:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭

Folks, I just don't get it. Driving around the green in the first phase of the Wood this evening a kid, about 5 years old, ran out in front of me in pursuit of a tennis ball. Luckily, I saw the ball and where there's a ball, there's usually a kid, so stopped and waited. The kid was oblivious.

Once I turned I saw that not only was the kid playing with another kid about 2 or 3 years old, but also an ADULT who seemed not to notice that his child (presuming he was the parent) ran out in front of a car and was quite happy for his kids to be playing on the road. The green was empty and would have been a lot safer.

I would appeal, now that kids are on holidays and the weather is good, for parents to PLEASE teach their kids some road sense and also for motorists to be even more vigilant.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

Here Here!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Curvy Vixen

+100 to this Mikedragon!

Same thing happened to me a couple of weeks ago with 2 kids chasing each other off the green and straight into the road ~ luckily I saw them through the hedge as I was turning at the green and stopped but if I hadn't of done the two of them would have been bouncing off my bonnet. And then to make matters worse there was a woman there, obviously in charge of them as there was no-one else there, just standing staring at us!! She hadn't shouted or tried to stop the kids running into the road or anything :confused::confused:

As someone who had a three year old run into the side of my car many years ago, and was prosecuted for it too :mad: I can only say that the feel of a child hitting your car is something that stays with you for a very long time. But what is even more sickening is when it isn't your fault and you get penalised for it :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

Would it not more effective to actually approach these parents and children rather than using the boards? Not everyone reads these.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

True, but you may consider it a belt and braces approach. Parents can be very defensive when you try to speak to them about their parenting skills and/or the behaviour of their kids. I do think it's incredible that one might need to tell a parent that they shouldn't put their children into a scenario where they might run out in front of a car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 380 ✭✭future_plans

I agree Mike. But kids are kids and even if warned will still forget when chasing after a ball or whatever. It's a residential area and I suppose up until this year many of the kids were too young to be out. And they will be reckless and careless and forget what they've been told every now and then. So I reckon extra vigilance on behalf of the motorists is just (if not more) important (I know you mentioned this also).

I have to say though, the design of the estate with many people without driveways and streetparking makes it extra hazardous.

By he way, if a child does run out in front and the parent is there. I'd definitely make a point of saying something.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Its the same on every street & estate not just charlesland kids are going to run out in front of cars fact you should be extra vigilant when you know kids will be around and adjust your speed and awareness accordingly.

Advertisement