Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Field Telephones

• 09-06-2008 7:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭

Hi there ;)

Have a couple of phones here that I've had for a number of years now, but am still none the wiser of really. Cant seem to find out all that much about them and the internet isnt throwing up much help either. I am assuming they are British, although, thinking about it now I dont see a single goverment acceptance, or property stamp on them anywhere, as you would expect to find on a piece of British equipment.

I have two phones, a 'Set H MkIII' and a 'Set L', set H was the first one I picked up, sadly, missing its handpiece :(, the second one, Set L is in pretty good condition and it would appear that both are in full working order. When connected together and the generator handle on one is turned, the other one rings and vice versa, and crackling can be heard in the handpiece.

'Set L' has 1940 and 1941 dates, Set H I cant find any dates on, but its obviously a little earlier than set L.

Anyway, a few pics below for your viewing pleasure, anyone have any more info on these I'd love to hear :).

Set L:
    101_9690.jpg
    101_9691.jpg
    101_9692.jpg
    101_9693.jpg
    101_9694.jpg
    101_9701.jpg
    101_9702.jpg

Set H MkIII:
    101_9698.jpg
    101_9699.jpg
    101_9700.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭arnhem44

Hello cb1798,just found one on the web at armyradios.com,it says the the L model was used by the British army as a field telephone during the war so I would be guessing the other one was two,this one is advertised for sale

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭enfield

I used to use these in signals during my army days. They used a square battery pack and the eylets used to be screwed on to them. They were connected with cable known to us as DAN 10. The Brits used these as well but called the wire by another name. They usually connected the radio room with the guardhouse and various HQs with the Comcen (Communications Centre). On the border I used to run a speaker cable from a radio through the wires and the lads in the Guardhouse could connect a speaker and so they could listen to music. The phone would still be attached to the battery and when a call came through they would disconnect the speaker. Needs must when the divil drives. Like most Irish Army stuff they were x british army and can often be found a car boots and fairs. Dont hold the terminals and turn the crank or it will straighten your hair out for you.
    Tom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Cheers for the replies guys! Appreciated ;)

enfield wrote: »
    Dont hold the terminals and turn the crank or it will straighten your hair out for you.

Aye, I found that out the hard way :D, you get a nice little jolt out of it!

Advertisement