Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What's the fastest car with CO2 emissions of between 171 and 190grams per kilometre?

Options
  • 09-06-2008 7:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,193 ✭✭✭✭

I really want an Mitsubishi EVO but it'll be €2000 a year road tax after july, I probably can't afford one for another 6mts or so...

What's the quickest new car that will fall into band E or lower of the new car tax rates(€600 per year tax) Band F&G are out fo the question!!

Thanks
    DM

New car tax rates:

Band A, which corresponds to CO2 emissions of under 120grams per kilometre - motor tax rate of €100.
    Band B, which corresponds to CO2 emissions of between 121 and 140 grams per kilometre – motor tax rate of €150.
    Band C, which corresponds to CO2 emissions of between 141 and 155grams per kilometre – motor tax rate of €290.
    Band D, which corresponds to CO2 emissions of between 156 and 170 grams per kilometre – motor tax rate of €430.
    Band E, which corresponds to CO2 emissions of between 171 and 190grams per kilometre – motor tax rate of €600.
    Band F, which corresponds to CO2 emissions of between 191 and 225 grams per kilometre – motor tax rate of €1,000.
    Band G, the top band – motor tax rate of €2,000, reflecting CO2 emissions of over 225grams per kilometre.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,105 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

whats the budget, i assume u are buying brand new

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭Ronanom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Why not buy a nearly new Evo?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,193 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Ronanom wrote: »

Oh yes it is, the evo & subaru sti must be some of the worst offending cars.....there co2 is measured in pounds not grammes.....

Cyrus wrote: »
    whats the budget, i assume u are buying brand new

Say 60k tops but if a cheaper car can give good bang for small bucks then it's an option....

• Advertisement

JHMEG wrote: »
    Why not buy a nearly new Evo?

Out of the question, has to be new with full warranty...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

The BMW 335d is the fastest car you can buy in this category. It has 286 bhp, 413 lb ft of torque, average fuel consumption of 42.2 mpg, does 0-100 in 6.1 seconds, has to be held back to 250 km/h, and the second best engine in the 2.5-3.0 category according to this year's International Engine of the Year Awards.

Is there a 135d on the way?

Altho there'll be some difference between an Evo, even 2nd hand, and a diesel anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭tvr

Areil Atom 2 245bhp # 0-60mph 3.7s # co2 0.72 lb/mile

Atom 500 V8 0-60 2 secs co2 tbc :))

E92 wrote: »
    The BMW 335d is the fastest car you can buy in this category. It has 286 bhp, 413 lb ft of torque, average fuel consumption of 42.2 mpg, does 0-100 in 6.1 seconds, has to be held back to 250 km/h, and the second best engine in the 2.5-3.0 category according to this year's International Engine of the Year Awards.

And it'll be only €600 to tax, now that's a serious option, how much is the coupe version?

maybe this new co2 thing isn't so bad after all:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

~€65k for the SE saloon. If you prefer petrol power the 330i gets into this category too, and starts at ~€57k for the SE saloon(it actually is a lower emitter of CO2 believe it or not than the 335d).

This engine, along with the 335i's engine will feature in next year's new Z4, as well as the latest direct injection 6 pot petrols found in the 3 series and 5 series.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,556 ✭✭✭✭vectra

~€65k for the SE saloon. If you prefer petrol power the 330i gets into this category too, and starts at ~€57k for the SE saloon(it actually is a lower emitter of CO2 believe it or not than the 335d).

This engine, along with the 335i's engine will feature in next year's new Z4, as well as the latest direct injection 6 pot petrols found in the 3 series and 5 series.

Do you mind if i ask a personal question..?

What in the name of god do you work at to aquire all this motoring knowledge?? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

Oh yes it is, the evo & subaru sti must be some of the worst offending cars.....there co2 is measured in pounds not grammes.....

you'll find that the rx-7-rx-8 are the worst

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭conneem-TT

Audi TT-S 272hp (200hp/ton)

0-100km/h in 5.2 :D
    0-160km/h in 12.5

and only 600 euro to tax.

This really is a funny thread. "I've got looooaaads to spend on a car, but I can't afford much tax"???!

agree with JHMEG, tax is the least of your concerns buying a new car, its the depreciation that would worry me :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,442 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Golf GTI is just under the 190 g/km... but yeah, road tax is the least of your worries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

JHMEG wrote: »
    This really is a funny thread. "I've got looooaaads to spend on a car, but I can't afford much tax"???!

60K to blow on a car and you are looking to save a very max of 1.4K per year on tax? priorities?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

I am with the OP -
    a) why give those green twats another penny in tax than you have to
    b) road tax xost has a direct effect on resale value here in ireland, why do you think everyone wants a 1.6 Avensis here - it aint coz there the ultimate driving machine now is it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

I'm sure the OP has a logical reason why he's willing to spend major bucks on a new car but begrudges poor old Brian Lenihan & co. a bit of extra revenue...

Maybe he's a builder or farmer... They HATE paying tax:D
    vectra wrote: »
    Do you mind if i ask a personal question..?
    What in the name of god do you work at to aquire all this motoring knowledge?? :confused:

:D This made me laugh. I've often thought the same thing...

E92 is a legend but the breath and depth of his knowledge scare me sometimes! Whilst he's a BMW-head he also has huge knowledge of other makes - from the mundate to the exotic... I respect that 'cos there are so many fanboys around who have myopia about one or maybe two brands.

• Advertisement

I hate paying unfair taxes, plain and simple...

Evo to tax today €600 - Evo to tax in July €2000

That's a ripoff..

Evo to buy in Ireland €60,000

Evo to buy new in America €22,000

Another Rip Off

I'm not paying €2000 a year road tax to subside the Green Partys pipe dream that they can change the weather, feckin thieves & edjits the lot of them....:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

I see your 335D and raise you a TTS 2.0TFSI S Tronic

272BHP
    0-100km/h in 5.2 seconds
    30MPG
    Co2 emissions of 188g
    Top Speed 250km/h governed.
    €600 road tax per year!
    Has quattro!

And at €69645 is €400 cheaper than the 335D M Sport.

Winner! :D

Edit - Just saw Conneem TT beat me to the punch!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

That's a ripoff..

Another Rip Off

I'm not paying €2000 a year road tax to subside the Green Partys pipe dream that they can change the weather, feckin thieves & edjits the lot of them....:mad:

Why not just pay a large deposit on an Evo now, get the garage to register it before the end of the month, and collect when you want?

If you really want an Evo and it has to be brand new, why not get a loan and buy one before the end of the month?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭WHITE_P

Have to agree with the OP, he has the freedom of choice to buy what he wants, likes, and can afford, but doesn't want to be fleeced by the state for the previlage, and why should he be?

Given that there seems to be some really tasty cars available, that fit his criteria re Tax, why shouldn't he ask for opinion's. Personally I would make a list of what appealed to me, look for a test drive of each, and take into consideration any other features that I really need to have in a car, if you find one that ticks all or most of the boxes for you, buy it and enjoy it, and f**k the begrudgers.

he has asked for opinions and he has got them and i didnt notice any begrudgery?

the simple fact is none of the cars suggested are anything like an Evo so he either buys one now, or buys a completely different alternative, or sucks up the tax and factor it as a running cost

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

he has asked for opinions and he has got them and i didnt notice any begrudgery?

It's not begrudgery to point out that if you can afford a new Evo you can afford the tax. For a car fan to say "I'd love an Evo, and I can afford to buy it new, write off the depreciation, pay the insurance, servicing and fuel costs, but I'm going to buy a diesel instead just to spite John Gormley" is, well, unbelievable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

the simple fact is none of the cars suggested are anything like an Evo so he either buys one now, or buys a completely different alternative, or sucks up the tax and factor it as a running cost

Very true, there's no real alternative to an STI or Evo, well, not in the lower tax brackets anyway. Buy now is his only option. Other than that, just invent different criteria.

i agree!

im paying 1500 quid a year now, and it breaks my heart but i knew that before i bought the car, and you just have to suck it up if you want a car bad enough

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

That's a ripoff..

Another Rip Off

buy an evo now and tax it for €600 per year, then after july it will STILL be 600 euro per year to tax.

Advertisement