Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Possible to have two test applications on the go?

Options
  • 09-06-2008 7:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

This might seem like an odd question but does anyone know if it's possible to have two applications in for a test in the same centre at the same time (staggered by a few weeks)? I have an application in for Finglas but if something goes wrong in the test and I balls it up, I don't want to have to wait ages for another appointment - I'm 5 months pregnant and could end up being really far gone before an appointment came up again. I was thinking of applying for a second test now as a backup - my idea is that I would have a second test date maybe two/three weeks after the first and then I could just let that date go if I pass on the first one.

It's probably a bit mad but I've already failed one test because I made one mistake and let it get to me completely and while I'm going to try my best to stay calm for this one, I'm afraid it will happen again. I don't want to be taking the test again with a massive baby bump!

Any thoughts/advice appreciated.

Jo

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Of course!

I applied for three centres when I did my test
    Failed in Nenagh :o
    Passed in Galway :D
    Got a refund for Birr :cool:

Down my way, everyone applies for Nenagh and Birr.
    And since you live in a city, the test centres are even closer so you have no excuse

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Test times have drastically reduced as well so you should be able to get a test date quickly. 8.2 weeks is the rsa quoted average wait for test dates.
    Letting one mistake get to you and ruining the rest of your test is quite common, the best advise is just to go for it and never throw in the towel, no matter how bad you think a mistake is, it's not ever until it's over.
    Best of Luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 jodyanne

You see I actually want to apply twice to the same test centre (Finglas). There's three centres attached to that one - 1 state and 2 SGS - so it's a fair bit of route to cover all on its own.

I could apply to Raheny I suppose - it would be very nerve wracking though, I don't even know how to get there. I'm ghetto-ised here in Ballymun :)

Does anyone down your way ever try to apply twice to the same centre?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I applied to three different counties and you can't get from Ballymun to Raheny? Ah, these crazy Dubs :D

I never heard of anyone applying the same test centre twice.
    Yeah, apply to Finglas and Raheny.

lol

I just took the plunge and applied for Raheny. Keep an eye out for news reports of a Ballymunner found lost and stranded somewhere along the coast :)

Thanks for the advice

Jo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Possum66

It was an administrative mishap, but I did applied for the same center twice (once on post, once online), and they got me once in Churchtown, once in Rathgar. I had 2 tests in 1 week.

Failed miserably btw, although the second time I had less faults. But passed my test in April in Deansgrange, where I failed in December, too. 4th time lucky!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Scush

A mate of mine accidentally applied twice for her test in Finglas (something went wrong with the online connection and she was billed a second time). She didn't realize till weeks later but ended up getting two dates with the SGS, the second two weeks after the other. Worked out well for her after failing the first cos she passed the second time around with only a two week wait. I plan on double booking mine when the time comes.

That's so interesting. My biggest fear was that the second application in the same test centre would somehow cancel the first but clearly not in those two cases anyway.

Even with a waiting time of only 7 weeks, if I only reapply after failing the next one I would probably be 8 and a half months pregnant before I get another chance - I don't even know if I could FIT behind a wheel at that stage, never mind do a test!

Oh I wish I had just got it last week, I was so close. Ah well, spilt milk. Based on what you've both said, I might just go ahead and book another test in Finglas at the end of the week. I wouldn't care how much money I lost if I could just get this bleedin license before the baby comes along!

Cheers for the comments

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Possum66

Don't book it at the end of the week, don't put it off, book it NOW! Sooner the better.

Not to worry, my friend passed her test 2 weeks before giving birth to her second child.

I am not sure you can use it, as you are pregnant, but rescure remedy (Bach) helped me _big_ time, calmed my nerves.

Best of luck!!

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭mrsberries

so can you get a refund if you pass it on the first test? Maybe I will do this too..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

I done it myself back in February. One to Rathgar and one to Tallaght, SGS got both of mine and i received a letter on a Friday morning, then the following Monday morning. Got into a pickle then because the day of the first one my provisional expired, then i had to get a new one in the space of 4 days so i could do the other one, then of course the tester was sick, and i got put back to the bank holiday Monday.

In answer to the OP, stick in as many applications as you want (can afford)!!

I can see me spending all the savings for baby equipment on repeated driving test appointments :) It would be so much easier if I could just put all that cash into a brown envelope and buy the bloody thing!

Ah well, if Possum's mate can do it when she's practically full term than by god I can get through it. A chemist told me rescue remedy was off the cards but after failing the test I checked on the internet and it's no problem in pregnancy - that lady better not cross my path any time soon, lord knows what my hormones might make me say to her :) I will be having rescue remedy cocktail before the next one.

Still waiting for next date from Finglas (applied last Thursday). For peace of mind, I'm going to wait till that comes in and then book another one - that way they should be staggered by a few weeks. It will give me great pleasure to cancel the second one if I pass first time round. I'll post here again to say how the double booking thing worked out and if there were any complications.

Cheers all!

Advertisement