Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Bb Customers......

Options
  • 09-06-2008 7:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭

Ive finally ordered eircom 2 meg and im wondering how long it will take them to deliver the modem and get the service up and running

the date theyve given me when ordering was 2 weeks away (18th june) for the service to be active and they say the modem will be delivered "sometime" before this date

does anyone have any experience with ordering from eircom?

will they deliver ontime?

will the line be up and running when they say it will?

is it a good service?

would like to hear from eircom customers especially ones whove ordered it recently,thanks in advance for any replies

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Usually within 10 days.

Service is very good if you have a decent enough line. My only gripe is contention and occasional packet-loss.

I haven't ever needed to contact their customer support so can't comment on that aspect of their service.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

Mine arrived within a few days,wasnt ment to be activated until a few days after but worked as soon as i plugged it in.
    Im fairly happy with mine

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

delllat wrote: »
    Ive finally ordered eircom 2 meg and im wondering how long it will take them to deliver the modem and get the service up and running

the date theyve given me when ordering was 2 weeks away (18th june) for the service to be active and they say the modem will be delivered "sometime" before this date

does anyone have any experience with ordering from eircom?

will they deliver ontime?

will the line be up and running when they say it will?

is it a good service?

would like to hear from eircom customers especially ones whove ordered it recently,thanks in advance for any replies

In spite of the general antipathy of boardsies towards Eircom I believe that apart from Smart Eircom are probably the best isp. Given the huge number of customers they have the absence of serious complaints on here about Eircom is quite remarkable. I have several friends with Eircom bb and they never have any complaints. (I am with Smart myself and I assure you that I have no love for Eircom whatsoever)

However when you consider that Eircom do not charge for exceeding the download limits, do not throttle torrents, do not by and large have billing problems, do not by and large have speed problems etc etc you cannot go too far wrong. If they were called anything but Eircom everyone on here would be recommending them!

In general they also meet or beat their promised switch on dates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Modem generally takes a week to arrive. Plug it in straight away as sometimes broadband is already activated on the line. Mine wasn't tho, but was activated about 3 days after i got the modem. Most times peeps are up and running well before the date they give you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭azzeretti

Ordered mine only last week. Put the order on line on Thursday evening and the line was activated on Friday by the time I got home. The Router took another 5 days to get to me, but I had a couple of spare ones lying around so I was sorted. Pretty quick if you ask me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭nevaeh-2die-4

I ordered last night - They said they will be out in 3/4 weeks.

I can’t wait to get rid of this ****ty lagwire i mean clear wire.

They have to be the worse and none responsive company I have ever had to deal with.

At lease now with eircom i can download again and play xbox live without lag.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Only prob I have with eircom, and its prob just my area... Between 5-7 and about 10-12 my connection SLOWS down big time... I usually get 1700kbps, between those times its always about 700kbps, last night it went down to 200kbps. Its been happening since I got it, I've contacted them but there tech support is shockingly bad... And the Wireless router they give you is pants, well mine is anyway. Asked for a replacement but they wont give me one.

Live in a small 2 bed timber house. Router's downstairs, I get 1 bar upstairs. I can pick up 6 other wireless networks upstairs. Even downstairs, my mac is one room away from the router and I don't get a full signall, out of 5 bars its usually about 3...

Had BT before, found the speed to be much more consistant... Only gripe is that it takes ages to get to talk to anyone, although when I did they were quite good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭delllat

thanks for the replys everybody,seems eircom might not be too bad,

they were our only option anyway because we wanted to pay our bill in the post office and not by direct debit and all the other companies accepted d/d only or i would have went for smart

,our line tested good for up to 14meg and it would have been much better value to use smart but nobody in my house was gonna volunteer for a d/d because its a big shared house with 6 people

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭nevaeh-2die-4

unklerosco wrote: »
    Only prob I have with eircom, and its prob just my area... Between 5-7 and about 10-12 my connection SLOWS down big time... I usually get 1700kbps, between those times its always about 700kbps, last night it went down to 200kbps. Its been happening since I got it, I've contacted them but there tech support is shockingly bad... And the Wireless router they give you is pants, well mine is anyway. Asked for a replacement but they wont give me one.

Live in a small 2 bed timber house. Router's downstairs, I get 1 bar upstairs. I can pick up 6 other wireless networks upstairs. Even downstairs, my mac is one room away from the router and I don't get a full signall, out of 5 bars its usually about 3...

Had BT before, found the speed to be much more consistant... Only gripe is that it takes ages to get to talk to anyone, although when I did they were quite good

what area are u from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Jesus H ... how is that their fault. If you can pick up 6 advertised networks theres probably more than that. The band your router is operating in is probably saturated by your neighbours using their wireless too. Thats just the nature of the technology and nothing to do with Eircom. Getting WiFi to work in that case, your best bet would be to switch to 802.11a which operates in the 5ghz band and its less likely that people are using it.

Eircoms responsibility end up to the point you can get Internet via the RJ-45 cable. Home broadband is a consumer product. Troubleshooting wifi speeds is not their problem as there are environmental issues where you are.

Or maybe think about cabling.

RE: The Wifi router you got from BT, Different router, different antenna, a bigger antenna would just give your neighbour the same problem.

Try living in a DENSELY populated city with 20-30 wifi networks in range, you're lucky to get 200k /sec

• Advertisement

I use a mix of Wired and Wireless and the speeds are the same, they drop out at the same time every day. Trying to get my 360 online during those times is a pain.

I'm not up on wireless tech but if my neighbours router in in there sitting room, which it is cause they have it against the front window... Why is it I can pick up there signal better than my own. I've tried changing channels and using only b or g but its still the same... Tis no bodger anway as I'm moving out in a month or so.

And the eircom tech support is pants, I've mainly contacted them about the poor speed and not one person I was talking to had a clue what they where talking about... Usual script readers, at least when I had to ring BT back in the day they knew what they where on about.

I'm in Brindley park in Ashbourne....

Well somethig is deffo up... My speed hasn't gone past 600kbps since 5pm... been onto eircom about it, they finally admitted there's something up with the line.. The wireless router was acting up loads earlier... Think i'm just gonna take one home from work n disable the eircom one...

Well somethig is deffo up... My speed hasn't gone past 600kbps since 5pm... been onto eircom about it, they finally admitted there's something up with the line.. The wireless router was acting up loads earlier... Think i'm just gonna take one home from work n disable the eircom one...

Have you heard of contention? You dont seem to be taking that into account at all?

dub45 wrote: »
    Have you heard of contention? You dont seem to be taking that into account at all?

Yes, yes I have.... My connection was grand when I got it(sept 07), its only in the last 2 months its been acting up. Speed is still about 500kbps. Its usually about 1700kbps, thats what it should be...

Yes, yes I have.... My connection was grand when I got it(sept 07), its only in the last 2 months its been acting up. Speed is still about 500kbps. Its usually about 1700kbps, thats what it should be...

Unfortunately that's not the case. Most bb for the home is a contended product so when you buy a bb product you are paying for a product that is usually quoted as up to xxxxx. Speed depends on many factors but the biggest contributors for dsl anyways are the quality of the line and the number of people you share your connection with. Smart are the only ones who claim not to have contended products - (Magnet seem to be gone away from mainstream home supply) but even Smart users suffer line problems

When I say thats what it should I mean thats what it has been since I moved in. It should be 2 meg but that aint never gonna happen. I know its advertised as upto 2 meg, thats how they get away with it..

I know my contention ratio is about 48:1... I understand how it works, I don't see how all of a sudden my connection can go from 1700-500. And if thats the case, why am I paying for a 2 meg line when I could get a one meg line n have the same speeds..

When I say thats what it should I mean thats what it has been since I moved in. It should be 2 meg but that aint never gonna happen. I know its advertised as upto 2 meg, thats how they get away with it..

Its not a question of them 'getting away' with anything. DSL is sold as a contended product. You opt for that when you sign up - no one forces you to do it.

I know my contention ratio is about 48:1... I understand how it works, I don't see how all of a sudden my connection can go from 1700-500. And if thats the case, why am I paying for a 2 meg line when I could get a one meg line n have the same speeds..

Thats your decision!

Why in the name of pants are you trying to argue with me... it makes no sense.

The logic is that my line BB speed was 1700kbps 2 months ago, now its 500kbps. Eircom have said there's a fault with the line, an engineer is looking into it. Its nothing to do with contention, advertised speeds etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

i would love to have a fairly reliable 1mb connection from Eircom broadband but the other side of their business providing phone lines is preventing me this, they have given me a "provisional" date of "at least September" to provide a phone line in an estate Carlow town and this is dependant on contracts:(

Why in the name of pants are you trying to argue with me... it makes no sense.

The logic is that my line BB speed was 1700kbps 2 months ago, now its 500kbps. Eircom have said there's a fault with the line, an engineer is looking into it. Its nothing to do with contention, advertised speeds etc.

I am simply pointing out to you that you are accusing Eircom - and by default other isp dsl providers of getting away with something when in fact you are on a contended product and yet claiming that you are entitled to the full whack.

Up to now you have not been honest in your wild assertions as this is the first time that you have even acknowledged that an Eircom engineer is looking into the matter for you.

Also depending on the age of your mac it could be contributing to your wireless problems as there have been lots of reports of wireless probs with recent mac os.

• Advertisement

I said before ur first reply that they admitted that there was a fault with the line and not with my hardware.

If u read my first post you'll see that I made no wild assertations, the first thing I claimed was that its prob down to my area... By that I meant dodgy cabling or I'm a good bit from the exchange.

My only other gripe was the hardware but a possible explanation has been given...

I know how BB works and that I'll never get the connection as advertised. What I do expect that if I pay for a 1meg line I get near that speed, same for a 2 meg line, same for a 4meg line etc etc....

From what ur saying, if you pay for an 8 meg line and you're only getting 2 meg speeds you should be happy with it... I never claimed that I'm entitled to the full whack, if I thought that you can be sure I wouldn't be happy getting 1700kbps when I should be getting 2000+... What I will claim is that I'm entitled to a speed thats close to the advertised speed. I'm paying for a 2meg connection. I expect my line to be at least 1.5meg. If I was paying for a 4 meg line I'd expect the speed to be over 3meg.... etc etc

I know the mac wireless can be a bit dodge at times but the speeds I'm getting are the same on a mac n two XP laptops and my 360.

Anyways, this is gonna roll on n on n on n on....

Is the eircom service good??
    Overall, yes... quick setup, they answer the phone, no hassle with bills.

If they can sort out my line then it's two thumbs up

fair play to eircom,they delivered the modem on time anyway

,6 days before the lines due to be activated,i tried it today hoping but unfortuately its still not went live yet

il continnue to test it daily in case it gets activated early but wont get my hopes up too much as the guy on the phone reckons it will be the 18th

Just leave it plugged in

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Just leave it plugged in

its plugged in for sure,still no joy,but i live in hope,been checking it a couple o times per day but all im geting is this screen:

Connection Information
    DSL
    Down
    eircom broadband
    Disconnected
    User Name
    eircom@eircom.net

IP Address
    IP Gateway

Primary DNS Server
    Name server not available

Secondary DNS Server
    Name server not available

Speed
    0/0 (kbps)
    Line Attenuation
    0/0 dB

Router Information
    Router Name
    Netopia
    Model
    2247-02

Serial Number
    MAC Address
    00:1e:5a:f9:d2:40

Software Version
    7.8.0r2
    Warranty Date
    UNKNOWN

Local Network
    IP Address
    Ethernet
    Connected

Wireless
    Operational
    Privacy
    WPA - PSK

Wireless ID (SSID)
    eircom7634 6032 (broadcast)

Relax or by the time it is switched on you will be locked up somewhere!:)

Old thread I know but just an update....

No change in me speed, lots of calls to eircom.. Same crap, plug this in, clear your cookies, reset your router etc etc. No calls from an engineer as prommised.

Just rang there, nice guy on phone... Did a line test, saw my speed was low.. Bumped up my speed. Its now back the way it was...

He said that someone had changed my line to a 1meg line, so for the last two months I've been paying for a 2 meg line but only getting a 1 meg connection.

I cannot for the life of me undestand how 2 mins on the phone to that guy sorted out all my problems... None of the other tech guys where able to do it.... All i've noticed is that dealing with an Irish guy that knows what he's talking about at the end of the phone makes all the difference

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Raoul

Old thread I know but just an update....

No change in me speed, lots of calls to eircom.. Same crap, plug this in, clear your cookies, reset your router etc etc. No calls from an engineer as prommised.

Just rang there, nice guy on phone... Did a line test, saw my speed was low.. Bumped up my speed. Its now back the way it was...

He said that someone had changed my line to a 1meg line, so for the last two months I've been paying for a 2 meg line but only getting a 1 meg connection.

I cannot for the life of me undestand how 2 mins on the phone to that guy sorted out all my problems... None of the other tech guys where able to do it.... All i've noticed is that dealing with an Irish guy that knows what he's talking about at the end of the phone makes all the difference

What download speeds are you getting now?

Im getting over 200kb/s but I'm not sure if this is because of the line or the computer.
    Our last computer was crap so I expected the speeds to be terrible and the new computer is really good. But still is that good/bad??

1500-1700kbps... On the 1meg line it was about 700kbps

What line have u got.. Unless its a 1/2meg line those speeds are fairly bad

Logging into your router on 192.168.1.254 would've told you that. First thing You should check when You have problems is what speed your syncing at and your attenuation & noise stats.

• Advertisement

The router has always said 2024/256 so I assumed it was 2 meg... Thats what I could never understand..

"syncing at and your attenuation & noise stats"?? How does one check this??

Advertisement