Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jobs where you can't have visible tattoos

Options
  • 09-06-2008 7:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

I just thought I'd ask if anyone knows the rules about having tattoos on your forearms etc, of r jobs like nurses and gardaí?

I always assumed that the guards could not have tattoos, but saw one with an eagle or something on his forearm, so I wonder what the rules are. Does anyone on this forum know, or knw where I could find out on the web.

Thanks a million.

(Apologies if this is the wrong place to post this- I'm new here.)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Looby_Loo

I cant have any visible tattoos, I am a nurse but one of my bosses has a tattoo on her foot that is pretty visible when she wears a suit. I also knew a nurse who had the back of her head tattooed but that was only obvious if you were looking for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Captain Ginger

I think a good bit comes down to what it is.

A lot of retail staff don't really mind as long as it's not too "in your face".

A subtle flower on your wrist and a flaming skull with penises sticking out of its eyes are too very different things.

Although the above is an extreme case :p but you know what I mean.

My girlfriend used to work in the suites in Croke Park (the ones where the loaded people get free drinks and food) and she has tattoos on each wrist and they didn't seem to mind them, but they did make her take out facial piercings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

I work for a big company in their IT dept. Im made take out my lobe piercings eve though I dont deal directly with clients, just workers within the place.

All depends who you are working for and whether they think your piercings and tattoos will effect how you do your job, and others within the job.

It's a hairy issue because there are no clear lines or laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Retail and service related jobs are usually going to have issues with tattoo's/piercings.
    In fact, you would be lucky to find somewhere that had no rules against them. Mate of mine wnet for a job at supermacs when he was 17, they didnt see his forearm tattoo during the interview and only saw it when he started work. He was promptly told he could not work there

Industry jobs that I have worked in have been very lax on the issue of body mods. I currently work for a medical device manuf. There are no rules against body mods. But all piecings and must be covered with tape (hygiene purposes). Ive seen a couple people with forearm tattoo's so they are obviously not an issue

As regards to the gardai, I dont think there is an official rule against them. ofc depends on what it is. I heard the defence force are bringing in some regulation on tattoos

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,919 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I work in a bank, and although it says in the official dress code that tattoos should not be visible, and no facial piercings are permitted, one of the girls has multiple tattoos and she has her nose, lip, and tongue pierced and she wears the jewellery in work. She has a full sleve on one of her arms, although it is a delicate design in white ink so not all that noticeable, but she has a black tattoo on the other wrist. AFAIK nothing has ever been said to her. I wore a skirt the other day and both my ankles are tattooed, and the manager came over to compliment me on them?? I think in my case it depends on the branch manager. And I suppose if a customer complained they'd have to say something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

ha, for a few mins there, i wondered if you worked with fantasy_suicide :D

i've worked with the elderly and with kids since i got my ink, and have thoroughly checked both contracts and rules etc, and neither mentions anything about ink, except that i have to look presentable for work. neat tidy, etc. lots of people with small ankle/wrist tats in work, though for my ankle/calf one, i tend to cover up with trousers or long socks, dont bother for my wrist and neck ones. have to take out my lip ring though, for 'health and safety' :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

I think most places take a common sense approach. Or at least they think they do.

To answer the original question in relation to the Gardai I don't think they have a definite policy. The Met police have quite a large section on tattoos and what is or is not acceptable on a recruit. They look at several factors including where the tattoo is (hands/face/neck the biggest no nos), whether it's offensive, and the size etc. So I'm sure the Gardai have similar criteria, formally or not.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,919 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

ha, for a few mins there, i wondered if you worked with fantasy_suicide :D

i've worked with the elderly and with kids since i got my ink, and have thoroughly checked both contracts and rules etc, and neither mentions anything about ink, except that i have to look presentable for work. neat tidy, etc. lots of people with small ankle/wrist tats in work, though for my ankle/calf one, i tend to cover up with trousers or long socks, dont bother for my wrist and neck ones. have to take out my lip ring though, for 'health and safety' :rolleyes:

God, if you're working with kids it's probably for your own health and safety they ask you to take it out!! Saw one of my friends get his nose ring ripped out by his 3 yr old nephew..... OW!!!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 ontheroad24/7

I'm a self employed taxi driver in my 30's, tattooed from elbows up. Many people admire them and those who don't, they pass no comments. It's great not having a boss, especially working in an industry where tattoos are almost obligatory. Anyway, most people under 40 have been tattooed these days, so in another few years we'll live in a near fully tattooed society.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭The Artist

That the thing being your own boss,like you said
    Many people admire them and those who don't, they pass no comments
    which i agree.
    ive seen good and bad tats and never comment about them as its only a tattoo.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

yikes toots! :eek:

i still say there's no point, cos the kids are either good with stuff like that, or im particularly careful around them, particularly givne i have two piercings on the front of my neck now, it's just about manouvering myself properly :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 sarah C

Hi!Im new to this and was wondering if anyone knew,..if your applying to the guards and you dont have a leaving cert due to health reasons,is there any other ways around that??...Besides goin back to doin your leavin,im 27 now.:o

think you've the wrong forum, check out garda recruitment forum, think it's under the soc heading

Can anyone help me??:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Oh thank you so much,im really sorry but what do i do to get into that,im like brand new at this!!:rolleyes:

Thank you both sooooooo much!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

The last two job contracts I signed both specifically said that I could have piercings, visible tattoos and any hair/colour style. :D

Hehehe I don't even have any visible piercings :p

Only thing I'm not allowed wear is any kind of advertising logo for stuffs!

Man I wish I could dye my hair whatever colour I wanted in my job! How I long for the days when my hair was pink. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Lilliput69

I am 36 yrs old, have 11 peircings, 10 of which are visible, the tat at the top of my spine can be seen through my hair, if my top rides up when i am stretching for something my tramp stamp and both my sides are fully inked (to on lookers it from front hip to front hip around my back is fully inked) I have my hair dyed electric red.

The job i am in has a dress code, smart casual, every boss i have had since i was about 20 has commented on my piercings or my hair (i went through a shaved head phase too, thts frowned on as much as bright colours lmao) i have just proved my capabilities and they no longer see my appearance but see the real me and accept that this is who i am.

Yes i am in a postition where i would deal with alot of suits and CEO's but i worked my way up the career ladder, i did my apprenticship as an aircraft technician and alot of the peeps i deal with see past the Docs on me feet, the 7 rings on me fingers, tats, piercings, electric red hair.

So what i am saying is, you will have to get an employer to give u a chance first and prove yourself and sadly enough if ur modifications are extream alot of employers will still have a pre presevied opinion of you without taking into account what your work capabilities are, thats just life and there is bugger all we can do about other peeps opinions except be good role models, give em good experiences with us and then they might treat the next tattooed pierced freak(i use this as a term of endearment) a fare break ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭Shamanic

Lilliput69 wrote: »
    I am 36 yrs old, have 11 peircings, 10 of which are visible, the tat at the top of my spine can be seen through my hair, if my top rides up when i am stretching for something my tramp stamp and both my sides are fully inked (to on lookers it from front hip to front hip around my back is fully inked) I have my hair dyed electric red.

The job i am in has a dress code, smart casual, every boss i have had since i was about 20 has commented on my piercings or my hair (i went through a shaved head phase too, thts frowned on as much as bright colours lmao) i have just proved my capabilities and they no longer see my appearance but see the real me and accept that this is who i am.

Yes i am in a postition where i would deal with alot of suits and CEO's but i worked my way up the career ladder, i did my apprenticship as an aircraft technician and alot of the peeps i deal with see past the Docs on me feet, the 7 rings on me fingers, tats, piercings, electric red hair.

So what i am saying is, you will have to get an employer to give u a chance first and prove yourself and sadly enough if ur modifications are extream alot of employers will still have a pre presevied opinion of you without taking into account what your work capabilities are, thats just life and there is bugger all we can do about other peeps opinions except be good role models, give em good experiences with us and then they might treat the next tattooed pierced freak(i use this as a term of endearment) a fare break ;)

Same for me, my first job i was in i had to take out all my mods and make sure my tops were long enough to cover up my back. But once i got a name for myself doing what i do, i got offered another job, and have seen cut my hair short dyed it many colours, and got a few more mods and im currently drawing up my sleeve!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Jimmy Trigger

I work in Musical instrument store in Kilkenny.
    Covered in Tatt's and have 8 facial piercing,
    Its has NEVER been a problem for my Bosses (Husband n Wife)
    and they love it if anything. It makes the shop for them.

Iv got complaints loads, but they dont care.
    Your character should speak louder than the way you look.
    If your good at what you do, then it aint a problem...it just so happens
    Im awesome at what i do, hahahaha.

Ink up people, its just a pocksy job.

PEACE

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭prodigal_son

Krieg wrote: »
    Mate of mine wnet for a job at supermacs when he was 17, they didnt see his forearm tattoo during the interview and only saw it when he started work. He was promptly told he could not work there

That was probably a while ago, but im pretty sure that now, they cant sack you for having a tattoo, only ask you to cover it up, and if it was recently he should have gone for an unfair dismissal claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭missannik

I'm in love with vertical labrets and really want one, was planning to get one a few days ago... but I hear that nurses can't have such. Anyone know whether this is true? I'm planning on coming over to work in 3 months, and don't want to go to the trouble of having it done only to find out no one will hire me. Should I just wait and see or just consider getting a piercing somewhere else? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I thought having any kind of exposed wound would be a big no-no for a nurse...

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭missannik

Not really. I have a nose stud and it's not an issue, I know that I could get a vertical labret here and my empoyer wouldn't be too fussed. Many fellow workers have lip piercings. Certain jewellery is a no-no, for health and safety reasons. Just not sure if the same applies in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭oldmantime

That was probably a while ago, but im pretty sure that now, they cant sack you for having a tattoo, only ask you to cover it up, and if it was recently he should have gone for an unfair dismissal claim.

Pretty sure you need to be working somewhere a year to get the benefit of the unfair dismissals act.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

I work in a hospital and haven't seen many nurses with very visible tattoos or piercing, apart from nose piercings but piercings are generally frowned upon because of the risk of them pulled out whatever in an incident..

This week though I noticed quite a few of the social workers/psychologists with tattoos on ankles and some on their wrists, one older guy had tattoos on his knuckles obviously from ages ago and didnt have to cover them up..

I'd like a tattoo, dabbling with the idea, just a big chicken when it comes to the ow factor!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭vines

I just recently got my full sleeve finished off, and I absolutely love it (of course :) ) but I find that often it helps to play by the rules, keep it covered and let people get to know me a bit before letting them see it....At least this is how I approach it when working.
    As much as I'd love to say that I am who I am and people just have to accept me, at the end of the day, some people are prejudiced and I find it easier to accommodate for them and then let them rid themselves of their prejudices....
    Obviously with piercings it's not so easy to cover up... I don't have any myself (not even my ears....I'm terrified of getting it done! :P ), so I wouldn't know what I'd do if I did have them......anyone else any thoughts on it?
    Anyone beg to differ? :)

Advertisement