Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jobs where you can't have visible tattoos

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Macca07

I work in IT and i had an ear piercing, eyebrow piercing and a tattoo on d inside of my upper arm. now d tattoo couldn't be seen but we had casual friday where i would've worn a t-shirt and it would've been seen, and nothing was said. regarding the piercings, i took them out myself becasue i just felt it gives a better impression, even though i never met with any clients

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ebmma

I got invited to an aptitude test for a civil service job, not quite sure wat to do with regards to piercings.

Don't have many, just few in earlobes and eyebrow. Got retainer for the latter but dunno if I should bother.

There will be many people there, nobody would probably notice?

It really annoys me that things like that even have to be considered :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Take them out for the day. Civil service jobs are awkward like that AFAIK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭-lala-

Actually when I worked in the civil service I kept my piercings in for the interview and the whole time I was working there and it was never, ever an issue. There were loads of people in my department with visible tattoos and piercings.

Obviously, up to you, some people feel more secure going for interviews and the like looking as conventional as possible. But I doubt if it would be an issue. Best of luck ebmma!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭-lala-

Whoops, just read your post properly and realised it's the aptitude test you're going for and not the interview. Don't bother taking them out, there will, as you said, be loads of people there and they will have no idea which one you are! So even if it would be an issue (which I doubt), it won't be noticed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ebmma

-lala- wrote: »
    Actually when I worked in the civil service I kept my piercings in for the interview and the whole time I was working there and it was never, ever an issue. There were loads of people in my department with visible tattoos and piercings.

Obviously, up to you, some people feel more secure going for interviews and the like looking as conventional as possible. But I doubt if it would be an issue. Best of luck ebmma!

Thanks a lot, I definitely need lots of luck :D!

I think I'll keep them all in for the test and keep eyebrow out for interviews.
    If I get that job hopefully it won't be a problem. I'm not going to be dealing with customers or anything like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

Sorry to be dragging up old thread, but new one seemed pointless!

I'm always quizzing people on this very topic. The type of work i do, i would generally be expected to dress quite smart, though my current office is reasonably casual.

I've been planning a half sleeve for a while, and it still needs soem more thought, so it'll probably be the end of summer before ink touches skin, but I'm trying to decide how to approach it with work. We don't have an official dress code, though it was susggested to me that i remove a facial piercing, which I was happy enough to do.

But with regard to the sleeeve, i don't know if I should mention it before getting it, or just get it and ask later if they'd prefer it covered.
    I have a tatoo on my foot which is sometimes visible and nothing ahs been said, but in fairness it's a lot less in your face!! :)

I'm being a bit overdramatic really, but what are peoples thoughts, what would you recommend?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 saraz86

My friend didn't get a job becuase of a tatoo.... and it was for working in a call center!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

I can never understand call centres etc expecting tattoos to be covered up. No customers see you in person so whats the problem? When i was working in a bar i had to have all mine covered and facial piercings removed and i had no problem with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭pajodublin

i know im quoting an old post but they are actually grand
    I'm a civil servant
    I've had a promotion through interview in the last few years and my visible piercings (lobes stretched, lip ring, ear rim rings and scaffold) and visible tattoos on both forearms (Not Small either) didnt go against me in any way.

Its not as bad as it used to be

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭pippington

i no many nurses with tattoos...some quite visible and it doesnt seem to be too much of an issue..piercings are much more of an issue due to infection control reasons...minimal jewlery is allowed (one pair studs, wedding ring) because of the risk of germs etc gathering on the jewlery and the risk of being pulled out by some1..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

i work as a maternity care assistant in one hospital and a student midwife in another, i have big enough tattoos on the insides of my wrists...
    at work i never get too much said but as a student i am reminded that "a few years ago, you'd be kicked off the course for those", in this day and age they are not going to discriminate against you for being yourself...

someone mentioned that i might have to cover them up but in fairness, they are right down to my hand and there is no sanitary way of covering them when you handle as many bodily fluids as i do...

but yes, for nurses and midwives piercings are a no no, jewellery can hold onto microbes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

A registrar I work with recently has two visible tatts, I'm in awe!! A lot of patients commented on them and created a conversation topic which they said sometimes broke the ice. A good few of the psychologists/social workers have them too, usually just catch a glimpse of ones on wrists or ankles..

I know the kid brother was told (after he did the training day) in Dunnes that he' have to lose the dreads and cover the tattoos if he was to work with them....this was at a time when the job situation was a bit nicer than it is now..so he didn't take the job..but now i can't get over how many lads and ladies work in Dunnes with visible tattoos and dreadlocks..okay dreadlocks not near food, but the tattoos go fine. Times are a changing, and I'm glad of it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Anyone have experience of working in law and having tattoos? Currently studying law and have a smallish tattoo on my left wrist, in the future when applying for internships and jobs etc would I be better just keeping it covered and what would be the story when working?
    I love my tattoo but I love law too and don't want to jeopardise my chances of doing well in a career any more than I have (Awful LC!) if you know what I mean!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭aoife2k

I've got a black star on my right wrist and a few years ago I ended up gettin a job teaching music in a few local national schools... Nothing was ever said to me and the kids thought I was really 'cool' cuz I had it. Teaching music led to being asked to sub if one of the teachers was out sick and was delighted.

Now however, I'm actually training to become a teacher and am wondering what the general thoughts would be regarding visible tattoos and teaching children. When I was subbing and a child asked me about it I answered their question (Was it sore Miss?) and moved on without dwelling on it and they got over it... Desperate to get more but want to find out how acceptable it is. Any one got experience of teaching and tattoos?

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Aaron-

Used to work in a Joinery before being made redundant, have a few tattoos and facial piercings. Only hassle I get is the aul lads making terrible jokes about them. =P

Nowadays my employer (social welfare) doesn't have a problem with them and still pays me. :D

Advertisement