Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Internet Radio! How do I get one?

• 09-06-2008 7:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭

Can anyone tell me where is a good place to get an internet radio in Dublin or on the Web? I wanna start listening to other radio in the world and I'm looking for a cheap one!

Help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭grellan1

I use Phonostar which you can download for free.
    It is very easy to use and you can keep track of your favourite stations from around the world , schedule programmes to be recorded etc.
    Worth trying out anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

grellan1 wrote: »
    I use Phonostar which you can download for free.
    It is very easy to use and you can keep track of your favourite stations from around the world , schedule programmes to be recorded etc.
    Worth trying out anyway.

Thanks for replying, but what i looking for is an internet radio. like one that you can put near a bed or something. A portble one.

Cheers anyways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭DanOB

Fago_25 wrote: »
    Thanks for replying, but what i looking for is an internet radio. like one that you can put near a bed or something. A portble one.

Cheers anyways.
    they sell them??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Maybe you are looking for a Wi Fi Radio :confused:

I have an FM/DAB Radio which does me fine :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Have a look at komplett they do inet radios (wifi ones too). Resonable enough priced. I was thinking of getting one myself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭TRSJ

Fago,

Peats sell internet/wi-fi radios along with most pc/hi fi stores. Last time I was in Peats in Dublin they were listening to Beat 102-103 from the south east through one of their wi-fi radios!

They can range from a cheap 50 to around 250 depending on like anything, what you are willing for one and for what! I have 3 wi-fi/internet radios in my house, kitchen, sitting room and bedroom. The best by far is my roberts radio (wm201). Great audio and i mean unbelivebele audio (for the size of it) but it is the most expensive on the market. Roberts also have a new portable wif-/internet radio with dab and fm (wm202) which might be handy for walking around the house/garden and like all these radio you are looking at around 6-9000 stations available.
    http://www.robertsradio.co.uk/Products/Internet_radios.htm

A good source for buying radios online is:
    http://www.aqudos.com/store/en/products/41/324/
    I bought from them as some UK companies won't sell electrical products to ireland

hope this all helps

TRSJ

oh very important.....

find out which platform the radios support for listing/streaming the stations as reciva have probably the best variety compared to some of the other platforms and most radios/manufacturers use reciva so bare that in mind before you buy a radio. My terratec radio does not have reciva so different stations are listed than on my magicbox imp or roberts radio which both use reciva.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Worth a read for pointers and general internet radio chit chat.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055133697

Mike.

TRSJ wrote: »
    Fago,

Peats sell internet/wi-fi radios along with most pc/hi fi stores. Last time I was in Peats in Dublin they were listening to Beat 102-103 from the south east through one of their wi-fi radios!

They can range from a cheap 50 to around 250 depending on like anything, what you are willing for one and for what! I have 3 wi-fi/internet radios in my house, kitchen, sitting room and bedroom. The best by far is my roberts radio (wm201). Great audio and i mean unbelivebele audio (for the size of it) but it is the most expensive on the market. Roberts also have a new portable wif-/internet radio with dab and fm (wm202) which might be handy for walking around the house/garden and like all these radio you are looking at around 6-9000 stations available.
    http://www.robertsradio.co.uk/Products/Internet_radios.htm

A good source for buying radios online is:
    http://www.aqudos.com/store/en/products/41/324/
    I bought from them as some UK companies won't sell electrical products to ireland

hope this all helps

TRSJ

I'm gona have a look at all this.

Cheers man!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭Agonist

Hi,
    I wasn't sure whether to create a new thread for this or even if it should be in the wireless forum.

I bought a Roberts wm201 wifi radio yesterday in Petes. It's the coolest thing I ever saw (or heard) but I have a couple of problems with it that I need to fix.

My wireless signal is very poor. At times it won't connect to stations at all. I attached it to the modem via cable and it seems to be much faster. At the moment the radio is only a metre from the wireless modem.
    It also takes ages, 10 or 20 seconds, for the radio station to start playing. It's loading and buffering for too long.

I also have some stations listed, e.g. FM 104, and they are listed but don't connect at all.

Any ideas on what's going on?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

www.reciva.com is a good place to go if your radio uses reciva software.

Mike.

Agonist,

I have this exact same radio and I still reckon its my best gadget/radio purchase ever so let me try to answer 1 or 2 questions but I am in no way a techie person.

If the wireless is slower to connect than the ethernet cable it might be your wireless router that is the problem as the radio works fine as you found with the cable. Silly question but I assume you have the aerial connected and up on the radio and the router?

every station will differ in buffering speed from 1 second to 10 seconds or longer depending on the connection that the station is providing (nothing to do with the radio) Generally the faster the stream then the faster it is to connect.

Every now and again a station's stream might be down so maybe fm104 are just off line at the moment? I checked on my radio and I can't connect either so its not your radio it's FM104. Reciva are the company that lists, hosts and updates stations on most wi-fi radios in the market but with 9000+ to monitor sometimes stations do go offline and unnoticed for awhile but I have only come across this the odd time.

If you find stations 64k upwards generally the sound will be nice but it all depends on the station's own audio of course. Stations streaming at 128k+ though generally have the nicest audio and the sound off the roberts is just amazing when you get the right stations to listen to with nice audio. I know a good few stations I can recommend if you let me know what formats you like?

TRSJ

Thanks a million for that info.
    The wireless signal to my laptop is very fast so I'll fiddle with the radio aerial and look at the IP and MAC addresses and security setup, although I'm not very techie.

I'd love to get some recommendations for stations. I like talk radio of any kind and 80s/alternative music.

I'm checking out reciva.com now. It's a great site.
    Thanks for your help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

Can anyone tell me where is a good place to get an internet radio in Dublin or on the Web? I wanna start listening to other radio in the world and I'm looking for a cheap one!

Help!

Posted this a few months ago, don't think you'll get much cheaper. Tell us how get on.
    Greenman wrote: »
    On a recent trip to Ireland I was in PC World in Carrickmines and bought that WIFI Internet radio for 20 euro which I said was a bargain. I doubted that it would work great but the guy in the shop swore he used it at home all the time.

Its very buggy plus the starting documentation dosen't tell you that you have to register with Philips before it will work. I sometimes get a network error and you have to be patient. All in all for 20 euro its great and has given me the appetite to get a WIFI radio with speaker and built in speaker.

So to sum up I really like WIFI radio, such a great selection of radio stations listed by GENRE, very interesting and exciting for a radio head like me.

Whats next??? a WIFI TV prehaps.

Its the Philips Streamium Sla5520

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

The streamium is a pain in the butt, I had it first it was very fiddley to set up and I found it rubbish.

I now have a Logik IR100 its one of the cheapest internet radios out there but it does the job and I'm happy with it, was really easy to set up as well.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Have a Logik IR100 here also, works OK most of the time. It's only flaw is its weak wifi.

That said, I got it on special for £40 in Currrys, definitely was worth it. Handy for streaming from PC also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

magnumlady wrote: »
    The streamium is a pain in the butt, I had it first it was very fiddley to set up and I found it rubbish.

It is buggy but if you are patient, register it, read posts about it you will get it going. I have mine going and it hasn't missed a beat, it likes to be plugged in all the time. For 20 e's it was a steal.

It is buggy but if you are patient, register it, read posts about it you will get it going. I have mine going and it hasn't missed a beat, it likes to be plugged in all the time. For 20 e's it was a steal.

Mine cost me 129 euro over a year ago, it turned out in the end it had a fault, it kept switching off, so it went back to the shop.

How'd you get that for 20 €uro? Where? And (Excuse My Ignorance on the subject) can i plug it into my modem. (I haven't got wirelessYet)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Overunder

Help!

If I understand you correctly you are looking for a stand alone internet radio, try this https://www.reciva.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=138
    I use a Logitech Squeeze box its great but not cheap.http://www.slimdevices.com/pi_squeezebox.html

• Advertisement

How'd you get that for 20 €uro? Where? And (Excuse My Ignorance on the subject) can i plug it into my modem. (I haven't got wirelessYet)

Some internet radios have an ethernet socket so you could use one of them but you'd have to check that out.

I have my Roberts connected via cable because there's a problem with the wifi. The cable connection is very fast and needed no configuration.

Advertisement