Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liam Brady and the RTE Panel.

• 09-06-2008 7:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭

Liam Brady said Portugal won't even get out of their group. Eamonn Dunphy said that this is "probably the worst German team ever" last night. All three of them just ruled out Italy and Holland from winning the tournament. They have their doubts about France. They've pretty much dismissed all the pre-tournament favourites (except Spain...give them time) I'm beginning to wonder if any of the teams have any qualities at all. All we seem to hear is mass criticism of every team which is nice and easy to do from your comfortable seat in Dublin.

I mean, right, if Liam Brady says that Portugal won't even get out of their group, with Ronaldo, Deco, Quaresma, Simao, Nani, Moutinho, Carvalho, Boswinga, Meira, Pepe, what chance do Ireland have of qualifying for a major competition with Keogh, Whelan, Miller, McShane, Delaney???? If he thinks so little of the strongest sides in the competition, what does he think of our boys who he works with? We might aswell pack it all in right now by the sounds of it.

A little bit of praise rather than constant complaining would be nice every now and again.

[/rant]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Ya, I was laughing when they dismissed Italy and Holland.

They're a joke. Someone has to win it. Dunno if they know that. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Y2J_MUFC wrote: »

I mean, right, if Liam Brady says that Portugal won't even get out of their group, with Ronaldo, Deco, Quaresma, Simao, Nani, Moutinho, Carvalho, Boswinga, Meira, Pepe, what chance do Ireland have of qualifying for a major competition with Keogh, Whelan, Miller, McShane, Delaney???? If he thinks so little of the strongest sides in the competition, what does he think of our boys who he works with? We might aswell pack it all in right now by the sounds of it.

[/rant]

Why pick their best and our worst? Why not their worst players and our best?

Just saying is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

what chance do Ireland have of qualifying for a major competition with Keogh, Whelan, Miller, McShane, Delaney????
    [/rant]

None well very little based on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

If it was up to Dunphy he'd make his fantasy-boy Kaka into a European Country with population 1 and then the lad could win Euro2008 by himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,849 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Sherifu wrote: »
    Ya, I was laughing when they dismissed Italy and Holland.

They're a joke. Someone has to win it. Dunno if they know that. :pac:

Yep I agree, but unfortunately they are best on tv at the moment. I think Souness is okay and Gullit has good moments, it would be great to have him on rte! Would never happen. Anything is better then Redknapp, Wilkins and Gray... and as for Townsend, Dixon, Hansen etc, loada shiite

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Pigman II wrote: »
    If it was up to Dunphy he'd make his fantasy-boy Kaka into a European Country with population 1 and then the lad could win Euro2008 by himself.

whatever you say about Dunphy, Brady is the worst of the lot; he struggles to make valid coherent points and he is the most biased of the lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

Stekelly wrote: »
    Why pick their best and our worst? Why not their worst players and our best?

Just saying is all.

Quaresma didn't even make their 11 last night, neither did Nani or Meira. Whelan, Miller, Keogh, Delaney and McShane all made our last two starting teams.

But, I'll take your point. Instead, I'll put it a different way, Ronaldo vs Duff, Deco vs Whelan, Moutinho or Miller, Dunne or Carvalho, Delaney or Ferreira, Boswinga or O'Shea. My point still stands.

Again, Portugal are stronger in nearly every position, man for man. So judging by Liam Brady and the panels standards, if Portugal aren't good enough to get out of their group, we don't even know what a football is. Nevermind how to kick it, ffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Given vs. Ricardo, Keane vs. Gomes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Superman vs Batman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Alien vs Predator

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

People vs Larry Flynt

Trilla wrote: »
    Yep I agree, but unfortunately they are best on tv at the moment. I think Souness is okay and Gullit has good moments, it would be great to have him on rte! Would never happen. Anything is better then Redknapp, Wilkins and Gray... and as for Townsend, Dixon, Hansen etc, loada shiite

rte have been poor so far imo, BBC b team have been quite good imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭patmac

Were they not saying that Van Der Saar was old and passed it before this game:D
    Still way better than ITV and BBC although the Beeb has improved since matey Wrighty left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭hunter164

RTE's great for all the arguements!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Mad Dog

Pigman II wrote: »
    People vs Larry Flynt

Award for post of the day

ROFLMAO :D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

did anyone watch the BBC today for the France-Romania game? 5 minutes of Hansen and Shearer saying they was bored as their tactical analysis. then an interview with Capello about England and the world cup. can you honestly say RTE are worse than that?

and don't get me started on ITV... /shudder

on the subject of the favourites; there is no stand out teams in this tournament. each of the big teams have a smattering of good players and some awful squad players. this definitly isn't a strong EUROs lineup. I know it seems the boys are wrting every team off, but in fairness the faults they are finding are definitly there. ****, the Netherlands were exposed badly tonight by Toni, who is quite possibly the most static and least technically competent centre forward you will ever see. that's not saying much about them...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Nah, I don't buy that, well mostly.

They in my opinion are the best panel. For example if you contrast the Romania vs Holland half time discussion, Giles was saying how he found the tie not spectacular by any means but interesting, while Alan Hansen sounded like a 12 year old who just wanted something to happen....no actual pin pointing faults of the game, just terrible punditry.

As has been said, they had a discussion with Capello...why? They didn't even ask him anything Euro 2008 related.

Seriously I was suprised by that Italian team(on paper)...there is nothing dynamic about them....and what they said came to pass...there is no pace about Italy(and this is coming from a guy who really likes the Azzurri)

They said the Dutch defence is poor, and they are right.....I think even Dutch fans agree with this, well the few I've talked with.

They should be more positive though rather than always looking at honest of effort, bad defending...like the Dutch second goal they said it was a nice goal but over on UTV you would think the best goal ever was scored.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Liam Brady said Portugal won't even get out of their group. Eamonn Dunphy said that this is "probably the worst German team ever" last night.

At least they got their countries correct.

George, seemingly having a flashback to Euro 2000, mentioned that the Dutch supporters had turned up in force in the second city of the Netherlands for this match.

Not to be outdone, Bill was caught in a timewarp propelling him to some future match when he said the second Dutch goal had "dealt a killer blow to Spain".

Hmm :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Nah, I don't buy that, well mostly.

They in my opinion are the best panel. For example if you contrast the Romania vs Holland half time discussion, Giles was saying how he found the tie not spectacular by any means but interesting, while Alan Hansen sounded like a 12 year old who just wanted something to happen....no actual pin pointing faults of the game, just terrible punditry.

As has been said, they had a discussion with Capello...why? They didn't even ask him anything Euro 2008 related.

Seriously I was suprised by that Italian team(on paper)...there is nothing dynamic about them....and what they said came to pass...there is no pace about Italy(and this is coming from a guy who really likes the Azzurri)

They said the Dutch defence is poor, and they are right.....I think even Dutch fans agree with this, well the few I've talked with.

They should be more positive though rather than always looking at honest of effort, bad defending...like the Dutch second goal they said it was a nice goal but over on UTV you would think the best goal ever was scored.

Yeah, but BBC have no ad breaks so it's just their way of filling time. They're a British station after all. Though of course, that could stir up another debate as to why there's no interviews with George Burley, John Toshack, etc.
    In terms of the RTE lads, i'm not sure most people tune in for the actual content of their analaysis. They're not really taken seriously or to learn from really, it's entertainment. Sitting back, laughing at the backtracking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭genericgoon

RTE is worst if your team has just lost. Otherwise RTE all the way. :D Actual debates in the commentary :O Enjoyed how they went into that offside desicion (even if it did mean they forgot to show the other goal lol)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭allybhoy

Ah come on its RTE all the way, fair enough they may pick too many holes in teams and are probably grumpy old men but its fecking comical aswell, the whole trevor stevens makeover thing was the funniest bit of telly id seen in a while.

the interesting thing is though, apart from Dunphy the other two are former managers. now there are two angles you can take; one is that they feel bitter about how their careers went and like to a good moan to make themselves feel better. the other is that as managers they tend to focus on the negative aspects of teams because that's what their jobs were to do as managers. certainly, compare them to the likes of the former players you see on the BBC and SKY all the time. the analysis consists of 'great goal, wonderful goal, brilliant play, top top player'... the standard usual cliches, but when as an actual analysis, this doesn't analyze anything! Give me three negative bitter old men anyday of the week, you might actually garner an insight into the game...

Well said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Liam Brady said Portugal won't even get out of their group. Eamonn Dunphy said that this is "probably the worst German team ever" last night. All three of them just ruled out Italy and Holland from winning the tournament. They have their doubts about France. They've pretty much dismissed all the pre-tournament favourites (except Spain...give them time) I'm beginning to wonder if any of the teams have any qualities at all. All we seem to hear is mass criticism of every team which is nice and easy to do from your comfortable seat in Dublin.

I'd agree on some points.
    This probably is one of the weakest German sides we've seen in a long time. They have a lot of good attackers but the defence can be a bit wobbly.
    But saying their the worst German team doesn't mean their bad. Still whack us out of it.
    I really doubt that France or Italy are in with a shout.
    Holland aren't great either. Ok they bashed Italy tonight but their defence is seriously suspect. I mean Boulahrouz (sp) started ffs.
    Portugal should get out of the group though, wouldnt agree with them on that one.
    But when all's said and done I still think that Giles, Dunphy and Brady are the best panel on telly atm.

Frisbee wrote: »
    This probably is one of the weakest German sides we've seen in a long time. They have a lot of good attackers but the defence can be a bit wobbly.
    But saying their the worst German team doesn't mean their bad. Still whack us out of it.

What the Germans have going for them though is that of all the sides we've seen so far, they were definitely the most organised. they were probably the best cohesive unit i've seen in International soccer for a good while. where other managers struggle to accomodate the various talents at disposal, Loew is among the few who can get more out of them than the sum of their individual parts. Perhaps the Netherlands can rival them for this accolade over the course of the tourney, although today i didn't think their defence looked fantastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

shane86 wrote: »
    At least they got their countries correct.

George, seemingly having a flashback to Euro 2000, mentioned that the Dutch supporters had turned up in force in the second city of the Netherlands for this match.

Not to be outdone, Bill was caught in a timewarp propelling him to some future match when he said the second Dutch goal had "dealt a killer blow to Spain".

Hmm :confused:

The commentator from Sunday night's Germany-Poland match (can't remember who it was) announced at the end of the match that "at half time, it's Germany two, Poland nil".

Maybe it's something in the RTÉ water?

What the Germans have going for them though is that of all the sides we've seen so far, they were definitely the most organised. they were probably the best cohesive unit i've seen in International soccer for a good while. where other managers struggle to accomodate the various talents at disposal, Loew is among the few who can get more out of them than the sum of their individual parts. Perhaps the Netherlands can rival them for this accolade over the course of the tourney, although today i didn't think their defence looked fantastic.

Oh yeah, their very organised looking, but the defence is no great shakes.
    Lahm and Jansen looked very well against Poland. But any team with a slightly better attack will be able to target Mertesacker. He looked very dodgy...

Frisbee wrote: »
    Oh yeah, their very organised looking, but the defence is no great shakes.
    Lahm and Jansen looked very well against Poland. But any team with a slightly better attack will be able to target Mertesacker. He looked very dodgy...

yeah, no doubt. but i mean the one team Toni actually ran today he exposed the Dutch defence, the French have Thuram... almost all the big teams have vulnerability in defence. i'm just saying by being organised the Germans will put themselves in the best position to compensate for this. at times against the Poles they were more compact than Chelsea in their Mourinho heyday...

at times against the Poles they were more compact than Chelsea in their Mourinho heyday...

Its that damn German efficiency.... :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

Another thing that really annoys me is the pronunciation of player names. On that ad they had for the Champions League a while back..... they had had FLIP-PO Inzaghi, FLIP-PO, ffs. Good old Flip-po. Its Filippo. EWEY-Fa-lucy, when its Ujfaluši...

Another thing which I really don't like, is when you hear Giles or Dunphy saying that they don't know much about Turkey, Austria, Switzerland or Romania, or whoever. You're job is to be a football analyst, football "expert", whatever the title. If you don't know much about one of the two teams playing, then your pre-match comments are absolutely useless, but yet, there they are for 60 mins before kick-off spouting on.

Another thing which I really don't like, is when you hear Giles or Dunphy saying that they don't know much about Turkey, Austria, Switzerland or Romania, or whoever.

Me and my mates have a great laugh about this. Giles hasn't a clue about anyone unless they play in the Premiership. Or have played a Prem team in Europe...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I love the RTE punditry. It's great craic! But the one thing that absolutely wrecks my head is the way the production crew just cannot get things right. When Bill announces that the team is about to come up on screen, we're left with dead air as Bill waits for the team to appear. Then just as he says that they'll try to get the team up on screen and begins asking someone a question, up pops the team. Sometimes, the formation isn't even correct.
    They try to play an interview with someone after the match and again, Bill is left looking at the screen. Or the interview will come up, but the sound won't be on. Or they attempt to show a bit of footage to analyise, but it's the wrong bit of footage.
    I accept this can happen with any channel, but it happens all the time with RTE, every show. You actually expect it, it's weird if something goes right cos it stands out so much. Are they not meant to be professional??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Ah leave RTE alone. Anyone who refers to the Czech Republic as 'Czechoslovakia' is good in my book.

Now let's all go watch the USSR play tonight!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

There are actually some days when Bill O'Herlihy comes across as the most intelligent of the lot. He seems to be the only one who bothers his arse to research the teams. The funny thing is they usually end up ridiculing him over it!

Earlier Bill actually suggested to Eamon that there might be a chance the Dutch/Italian game would be an open affair and Dunphy rubbished the notion saying he felt it would be cagey. Final score - 3-0.

Pay attention in future to the valid points Bill raises and watch them scoff at them. He usually ends up being on the money. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 589 ✭✭✭vincenzo1975

The worst thing is, they go in with preconcieved ideas, opinions and convictions, and then they use the game to pick out specific instances to prove their points, rather then having an open mind, picking out the obvious danger players and giving a balanced analysis.

They think criticising the likes of Ronaldo marks them out as 'honest' and 'no bullshi' critics, when it only shows bias.

I think Giles is the best and most honest of the lot.

There is also a distinct lack of professionalism when they come out with the' I dont know much about these lads....' line.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Again, Portugal are stronger in nearly every position, man for man. So judging by Liam Brady and the panels standards, if Portugal aren't good enough to get out of their group, we don't even know what a football is. Nevermind how to kick it, ffs.

They are stronger man for man. Spain have always been stronger man for man than most, but what have they won? It's not just an individual game, it's a team game, which is why, at international level, mental strength and motivation are big factors.

And we usually find that Portugal and Spain, particularly, are chokers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Earlier Bill actually suggested to Eamon that there might be a chance the Dutch/Italian game would be an open affair and Dunphy rubbished the notion saying he felt it would be cagey. Final score - 3-0.

Pay attention in future to the valid points Bill raises and watch them scoff at them. He usually ends up being on the money. :pac:

Offer an opinion before kick off. That's what they do. They are not fortune tellers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

Dunphy last night on Holland's first goal: " it was strictly within the rules, there was no application of common sense....I think it was the right decision"

Excellent as ever

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

You're not going to beat Dunphy at his best during the Liverpool vs Inter first leg tie in the Champions League a few months ago.

Before the game, he talked about how Inter were going to dominate Liverpool, that they were the Italian Champions for the last two years, and that Ibrahimovic was one of the best players in the world.

Less than two hours later.

Inter were a joke team.
    Sevilla were better.
    Ibrahimovic was a pub player, and he'd always said it!

You gotta love it!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭simonw

if it wasn't for them i wouldn't watch so many random matches. They always supply some gold quotes...
    dunphy wrote:
    YOU'VE JUMPED THE FENCE NOW, BABY

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

nipplenuts wrote: »
    And we usually find that Portugal and Spain, particularly, are chokers.

Portugal made the final last time, and only lost to a horrible negative team and a bout of bad luck-cant really say they are bottlers.....spain on the other hand :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

Am I the only one who likes Ronnie Whelan? Unlike the Gilsie, Chippy and Dunphy (who all look like sulking children), he looks pleased just to be there, so I find it difficult to dislike him.

I've loved Ronnie since his Setanta days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,875 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Whelan sucks big time imho...He doesnt hold a candle to Pat Dolan :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

A request for you lads to keep me updated with the general ramblings of the RTE lads... thought they were plebs til I went travelling but bizzarely I miss the fuppers and their ramblings...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Dunphy just offered Ronnie and Souey odds of 25/1 that Italy win the championship. Surely thats a sign that they will definitely win it. They're now 12/1 with PP

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Oh god, now he's saying Ramos is like Paul McShane on roids. He was giving out about him and showed someone else being turned and said it was Ramos.

Tom65 wrote: »
    Am I the only one who likes Ronnie Whelan? Unlike the Gilsie, Chippy and Dunphy (who all look like sulking children), he looks pleased just to be there, so I find it difficult to dislike him.

Whelan is brutal imo, can't stand him.

Grumpy, Giles, and Brady is all you need imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Melion wrote: »
    Dunphy just offered Ronnie and Souey odds of 25/1 that Italy win the championship. Surely thats a sign that they will definitely win it. They're now 12/1 with PP

Holland were originally 15-1 and went down to 12-1 after the France match. What are they at now? (tried looking earlier, couldnt find it for the life of me)

tbh someone in PP fooked up badly, a squad of Hollands calibre at 15-1 given their goal conceding rate in the qualifiers was nuts.

Italy are tired and past it.

Melion wrote: »
    Oh god, now he's saying Ramos is like Paul McShane on roids. He was giving out about him and showed someone else being turned and said it was Ramos.

Yeah I heard that aswell
    They basically said he was a cr*p player because he had to make two sliding tackles. And a good defender should never have to make a sliding tackle because he should anticipate where the ball will be...

• Advertisement
Advertisement