Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3G iPhone Thread - [sourcing Qs / news about 3G iPhone here *ONLY* !!!]

Options
  • 08-06-2008 1:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭

thinking of buying an iphone but want to wait for iphone 2.0 or whatever the replacement will be called. anyone know when its coming out?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Find out tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Has the announcement been made yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

You'll have all the details when the Keynote is over around 7 or 8pm

• Registered Users Posts: 36 burtisgood

interesting article http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2098435/Apple-to-unveil-new-cheaper-3G-iPhone.html of course I'll still be waiting for The Steve to announce whatever it is he has in store for us

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭coghlac3

Any word on Bluetooth Support??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Gekko

the suspense!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

doubtful much will change with bt, maybe a2dp at a push.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Nearly 7pm, come on Apple hurry up!

• Subscribers Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

tinkerbell wrote: »
    Nearly 7pm, come on Apple hurry up!

3g confirmed anyway.

We’ve learned so much with the first iPhone.” He’s pulling out the next iPhone. It’s thinner at the edges, has a full plastic back, solid metal buttons, 3.5-inch display, camera, FLUSH HEADPHONE JACK, and improved audio.

copacetic wrote: »
    3g confirmed anyway.

We’ve learned so much with the first iPhone.” He’s pulling out the next iPhone. It’s thinner at the edges, has a full plastic back, solid metal buttons, 3.5-inch display, camera, FLUSH HEADPHONE JACK, and improved audio.

and gps and increased battery life. nice.
    much cheaper too $199 for 8GB, $299 for 16GB out July 11.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭joe316

11th of july, wonder how will o2 interpret $199??

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭GUIGuy

I'm hoping for 150 Euro... that'd be fair.
    Don't quite know if the "we'll be distroing it in 6 counties" means that apple will also sell direct in first 6 counties. If they do then maybe it will sell for that in good ol' rip off republic

joe316 wrote: »
    11th of july, wonder how will o2 interpret $199??

They'll probably increase the price, you know because of the cost of oil, and the exchange rate and vrt :D

Very disappointed, yet the phone is pretty much what i expected (minus a front camera) and still no F***ing MMS. I'd say the stock price should go down a bit.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

it'll probably be €199 thats usually how they compute exchange rates

• Registered Users Posts: 26,566 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

how do you know that there's no mms he didn't mention it, it doesn't have a big bang effect for these type of events.

steve mentioned that the price would be $199 all over the world. hope that means it's $199 here and not €199.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭random_banter

I dont see a front camera.. no video calling then!!!
    -My only gripe.

Good to see the price going down also.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭dmn

iPhone 3G will be launching on July 11th with 3G connectivity and GPS!!

Apple have announced that
    "The price is a maximum of $199 all around the world"
    for the 8GB model, and $299 for the 16 GB model.

That equates to around €127 for the 8GB model which will have a black backing
    and €191 for the 16GB model which will have a white backing.

specs_colors20080609.jpg
    image from www.apple.com/ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Shur if O2 get it over here,you'll prob have to commit to a contract like the first one! To get it that cheap it'll be a buy it off the internet or get a friend/relative to get you one job!

Well if it's 3G I'd be surprised with no front camera!

Cremo wrote: »
    how do you know that there's no mms he didn't mention it, it doesn't have a big bang effect for these type of events.

steve mentioned that the price would be $199 all over the world. hope that means it's $199 here and not €199.

+1, a month before it is out so plenty of time for more details. Looks good and glad I waited.

Still not all the way there though, front camera, higher res camera and 32GB would have been sweet and they definitely won't be there.

Prob in 6 months.

• Advertisement

It's not going to be $199 dollars converted into euro, or the other currencies for that matter. Tech conversion 1$=1€

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

From the live coverage on macrumors.com...

11:46 am The iPhone 3G will be available July 11th in 22 countries. The maximum price around the world is $199 USD. Now showing an ad.

Add in the contract's here though unless o2 put it on pre-pay as well,or get it sim free!

kmart6 wrote: »
    Well if it's 3G I'd be surprised with no front camera!

They've missed an opportunity there with iChat.

posted from engadget
    http://www.engadget.com/2008/06/09/iphone-3g-is-finally-official/
    It's been a long, leak-filled wait, but Apple finally took the wraps off its 3G iPhone. Thinner edges, full plastic back, flush headphone jack, and the iPhone 2.0 firmware -- Apple's taking a lot of the criticisms to heart from the first time around. Obviously 3G is at the forefront, but they're also making sure it's available all over internationally, works with enterprises, runs 3rd party apps... and does it all for cheaper. Apple claims its 3G speeds trounce the competition, with pageloads 36% faster than the N95 and Treo 750 -- and of course it completely trounces the old EDGE data. Battery life isn't getting put out to pasture though, with 300 hours of standby, 8-10 hours of 2G talk, 5 hours of 3G talk, 7 hours of video and 24 hours of audio. GPS is also a go. Apple is using A-GPS, which supplements regular satellite GPS data with info from cellular towers. WiFi data is also worked into the mix, which should give users a pretty solid lock on where the heck they are on this planet. Apple hopes to launch in 70 countries this year. 8GB is available for $199, 16GB for $299 -- and the 16GB comes in white. Apple will be hitting the 22 biggest markets, including the US, on July 11th.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,566 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

16 gig will also have a black backing you have a choice i assume.

i really dislike everyone factoring in the cost of the contract into the price of the phone.

other companies do this do, why is it that apple get the flak for it only?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

If its true they are having a worldwide price i think ill actually get one. It always irritates me so much when we are robbed blind.

carrotcake wrote: »
    From the live coverage on macrumors.com...

11:46 am The iPhone 3G will be available July 11th in 22 countries. The maximum price around the world is $199 USD. Now showing an ad.

Written by a blogger trying to keep up with Steve on stage. Do you really think they'll convert 199dollars into each of the currencies in which the phone is released?

it ain't perfect but with 3g and gps and the much cheaper prices it will sell like hotcakes. pity the people trying to sell them on adverts or ebay. an 8GB iphone 2G is now worth about €50.

• Advertisement

16 gig will also have a black backing you have a choice i assume.

don't think so, again from engaget.com:
    "We think the iPhone 3G will be affordable to almost everyone. 16GB model for $299 -- for that model we have a white one"

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement