Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3G iPhone Thread - [sourcing Qs / news about 3G iPhone here *ONLY* !!!]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

30knots wrote: »
    Im not gonna hold my breath. They know that revenue per unit will be no where as high as on their crazy bill plans(IMO it would be near impossible not to go over that rubbish call, text & data plan). Id love if someone from o2 would answer this question though & give a credible answer as to why they may not offer it.
    Go to O2's forum then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭-DuMbGuM-

30knots wrote: »
    Im not gonna hold my breath.

Yeah, they've done some crappy stuff already it wouldn't be a suprise if they didn't do a PAYG version. But then again that will probably lose them customers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 30knots

Go to O2's forum then.

Wanna give me ur login & password

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

O2 had the exclusivity with the original iPhone, but does that extend to the 3G version? apple say it will be in 22 countries but don't mention exclusivity as this one is not based on a revenue sharing model.

The O2 site shows the old pricing - it's a bit misleading for someone who thinks they can order a new 3G one.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭dmn

Did anybody hear Gerry Ryan this morning on the radio telling people to avoid the O2 iPhone tariff and to buy it and unlock it instead...something along those lines anyways

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I can't wait to get my hands on one. I wonder if there'll be a big rush on it? I'll have to be changing from vodafone to O2 as well by the looks of things.

Seems like the world is starting to judge O2 Ireland for their iPhone marketing...

http://www.pocket-lint.co.uk/news/news.phtml/15330/16354/view.phtml

Come on O2...there is a lot of bad press going around, shock us with something exciting! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

I'm sure they will see all this bad publicity and give us a PAYG iPhone or some sort of better deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭jpfahy

O2 Management/Marketing have an attitude that is so typical of many Irish businesses:

Don't try and expand your customer base, concentrate on extracting the maximum amount of money from any customers you have.
    Give them the shoddiest service you can get away with.
    Ignore customer feedback - what do they know
    Beware of anything new, try and ignore it as long as you can, it might go away.
    Just copy how other businesses do stuff, try not to innovate or lead the world in anything.
    If any employees of yours try to make suggestions ignore them, they're below you so they mustn't be as clever as you surely are.

Take the restaurant business in this country, for example: If they reduced their prices they would be full all the time. As their overheads are the same whether the restaurant is full or not its logical that you have to fill the seats to drive profits up. Isn't that how Ryanair became so successful. I'm always amazed that no one can see this.

I'm disgusted...one of the O2 staff has just posted the following on the O2 forum:
    Hi Guys, I wanted to come back to you on some of your points & let you know where we are with updates

Visual Voicemail: this is Technology Dependant which we are continuing to work on making this function available. We understand this is something that is important to iPhone users so we will keep you up to date with information on this Thread as we get it.
    1GB Cap:. Based on current customer’s usage the average is 80MB per month which is a long way from reaching the limit (with 1,000MB in 1GB), none the less we will continue to review this over the coming months. Also some of you questioned how much you can really get for 1G, well to give you flavour for this, taking an average webpage at being 150KB it equates to roughly 6900 webpages for 1GB. Don’t forget that on a technical basis we have introduced a wide range of free Wi-Fi spots around the country also!

For now that is all the updates we have, once we have any more timelines or information we will add to this Thread as soon as we have it

So are we to take it that they have reviewed the data cap and it's going to stay on 1GB and they might check it again in a few months?? hahaha...bye bye O2...you're not going to get far with this. Maybe your current iPhone users only use 80mb on average (which I doubt) but shouldn't you be looking to attract new customers, and not just settle with the..hmmm...200 iPhone customers that you already have? There is a reason that the majority of iPhones in Ireland are not being used on O2...and O2 have themselves to blame.

EDIT: and regarding the WIFI hotspots.....WOW!!! not. There are just 150 in the country...that's a joke. 13 in Cork, but unfortunately I don't live in a hotel or the arrivals of Cork International Airport....Hmm

• Advertisement

What about downloading Apps ?
    What about MobileMe ?
    What about Maps

These are all going to increase data rates considerably, the very fact that the phone will be 3G is going to make people use it more, why can O2 not think ahead at all or listen to what customers want?

jpfahy wrote: »
    What about downloading Apps ?
    What about MobileMe ?
    What about Maps

These are all going to increase data rates considerably, the very fact that the phone will be 3G is going to make people use it more, why can O2 not think ahead at all or listen to what customers want?

Not to mention:
    • Geotagging with photos
    • HUGE THING FOR DATA -> the use of an instant messenger app (which Steve Jobs previewed)
    • Download updates to apps with app store (O2 ppl are saying about downloading over wifi for large apps, but the updates will be smaller so may be downloaded over 3G more often
    • The fact that we can now save attachments and photos from email.

Stop dwelling on the past and now, start thinking about the future O2.

Oh wait... O2 - CAN'T DO

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

how much is data over the 1GB cap?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

copacetic wrote: »
    how much is data over the 1GB cap?

Data use in excess of the 1GB allowance will be charged at 2c per MB excluding roaming

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Data use in excess of the 1GB allowance will be charged at 2c per MB excluding roaming

doesn't seem too bad to me..

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭diarmy

I think it's worth mentioning also that the 1GB cap will be breached by Enterprise Users.

For the first time, the iPhone will be used as a proper e-mail machine by SMB and Enterprises alike. The Exchange ActiveSync addition makes the iPhone a more attractive prospect for companies, but any IT department staff member will tell you that the average consumption per day can reach into the 100's of MB. Therefore, in 10 days (2 working weeks, discounting the weekend) the user will have breached their cap and pay extortionate rates above that!

Again, O2 have an opportunity to make some serious headway in the Enterprise and start eating away at the colossal size of Vodafone's market share here and they're pissing it away with annoying things like caps. Do they put such tiny caps on their O2 Broadband product? NO!

So why cripple the iPhone? It's a Cisco IPSec VPN using, Exchange email receiving, Web Browsing, Music Downloading, App-Store Purchasing, YouTube watching do-it-all application of 3G technology, and O2 are wasting all our time by doing this - not to mention circumsizing Irish customers with their ridiculously paltry aims.

Grow up and give us the service you so lovingly shower on your UK customers. It's time for Danuta Grey to finally come out and show her mettle on this one, before Steve finds out and punished the naughty Telefonica subsidiary for being a bitch in the country where Apple's European Support Centre and Treasury Operations are!

diarmy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭The_Hustler

copacetic wrote: »
    doesn't seem too bad to me..

That's because I'm pretty sure it's kb, not MB!

diarmy wrote: »
    I think it's worth mentioning also that the 1GB cap will be breached by Enterprise Users.

For the first time, the iPhone will be used as a proper e-mail machine by SMB and Enterprises alike. The Exchange ActiveSync addition makes the iPhone a more attractive prospect for companies, but any IT department staff member will tell you that the average consumption per day can reach into the 100's of MB. Therefore, in 10 days (2 working weeks, discounting the weekend) the user will have breached their cap and pay extortionate rates above that!

Again, O2 have an opportunity to make some serious headway in the Enterprise and start eating away at the colossal size of Vodafone's market share here and they're pissing it away with annoying things like caps. Do they put such tiny caps on their O2 Broadband product? NO!

So why cripple the iPhone? It's a Cisco IPSec VPN using, Exchange email receiving, Web Browsing, Music Downloading, App-Store Purchasing, YouTube watching do-it-all application of 3G technology, and O2 are wasting all our time by doing this - not to mention circumsizing Irish customers with their ridiculously paltry aims.

Grow up and give us the service you so lovingly shower on your UK customers. It's time for Danuta Grey to finally come out and show her mettle on this one, before Steve finds out and punished the naughty Telefonica subsidiary for being a bitch in the country where Apple's European Support Centre and Treasury Operations are!

diarmy

well said

http://macdailynews.com/index.php/weblog/comments/17535/

According to a report from The Atlanta Business Chronicle, "Some customers who bought Apple Inc.'s iPhone at AT&T Inc. stores may be able to exchange the handset for the faster, less expensive new model and get a rebate."

"San Antonio, Texas-based AT&T, the exclusive U.S. provider of iPhone service, said clients will get a refund for the price difference," The Atlanta Business Chronicle reports.

Dman001 wrote: »
    I'm sure they will see all this bad publicity and give us a PAYG iPhone or some sort of better deal.

Yeah that would finally make them a company I would like to switch over to. I was originally meteor for a long time, but switched to three because i wanted the nokia 6280 (mistake) :pac:. Now im back on meteor, which is ok, but they don't offer free texts to all networks or the iPhone :(. o2 Ireland announcing a PAYG iPhone would i'm sure have alot of us looking like this ----> :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭scary

-DuMbGuM- wrote: »
    Yeah that would finally make them a company I would like to switch over to. I was originally meteor for a long time, but switched to three because i wanted the nokia 6280 (mistake) :pac:. Now im back on meteor, which is ok, but they don't offer free texts to all networks or the iPhone :(. o2 Ireland announcing a PAYG iPhone would i'm sure have alot of us looking like this ----> :cool:

Don't understand why people would switch to o2 if they offered PAYG iphone, surely the cost to operate it, would be prohibitive? how much is data on O2 PAYG currently? can you get data add ons?
    I would imagine if it was offered it would mainly be 3 and vodafone users who would buy it and get it unlocked.

That's because I'm pretty sure it's kb, not MB!

nope, says 2c per MB on their site. But I think this is exclusive to the iPhone tariffs

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

jpfahy wrote: »
    well said
    Agreed. It's yet another example of stupid shortsighted narrow minded business practice that besets a lot of companies in this country.

If they reckon they're doing things right then how come that I know not a single person who has an O2 iPhone? If O2 sold more than 300 of these phones country wide I would be shocked.

More to the point how come they're the only phone provider in Europe(and elsewhere) that has iPhones in stock? Hmmmmmm

Someone high up should be sacked for missing one of the most sought after phones in recent years(hype notwithstanding).

They can't blame the contract with apple either as it's pretty consistent across europe.

They can only blame greed and stupendous mismanagement. Simple as that.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭nitromaster

dmn wrote: »
    nope, says 2c per MB on their site. But I think this is exclusive to the iPhone tariffs

Yep, this price is likely exclusive to the iPhone tariffs.

On Pay As You Go its currently 1c per kb, meaning 1MB = 10euro.

1GB cap is a piece of ****, why can't we have the same or at least similar plans to the UK?

scary wrote: »
    Don't understand why people would switch to o2 if they offered PAYG iphone, surely the cost to operate it, would be prohibitive? how much is data on O2 PAYG currently? can you get data add ons?
    I would imagine if it was offered it would mainly be 3 and vodafone users who would buy it and get it unlocked.

Because i only use 3v not credit card, so have no way of paying for a bill-phone. I wouldn't use the 3g much, would use wifi more than anything so the 3g browsing cost wouldnt bother me, I'd switch mainly for the use of free texts to all networks.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Chinese Mafia

My god its just whine whine whine with you guys. 21 pages of reading later I'm asleep. Fair enough there is a cap on the iPhone tariff and that pretty bad but my god you'd swear you were taking out a contract with the devil. Back in march there was the same deal with this cap and what happened?
    everyone left the topic because there were embarrassed they couldn't break 250MB's and shut up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

Thats because o2 dont listen, there must be a reason why o2 havent sold there 1st gen stock?

My god its just whine whine whine with you guys. 21 pages of reading later I'm asleep. Fair enough there is a cap on the iPhone tariff and that pretty bad but my god you'd swear you were taking out a contract with the devil. Back in march there was the same deal with this cap and what happened?
    everyone left the topic because there were embarrassed they couldn't break 250MB's and shut up.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

They're "whining" because it's yet another example of greed mismanagement and plain stupidity in rip off Ireland.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 emzontheweb

That is rich coming from a o2 employee! Telling Us to Shut up. Great Customer relations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 Chinese Mafia

I work in a Chinese restaurant. Daryll, who i believe you are referring to is spicywedge on boards but he is banned from here for being a shill for promoting the forum (eejit) he wanted to post here yesterday because his name was mentioned so I let him have my login. Whereas I posted that comment above. Just so everything is clear I'm not Daryll

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement