Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3G iPhone Thread - [sourcing Qs / news about 3G iPhone here *ONLY* !!!]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭colm_c

Kajlo wrote: »
    Hi all
    I have iphone in orange. It wasnt unlocked or activated. If i put vodafone simcard and activate it would it work with vodafone without unlocking ( like turbosim or so ) or i still need to unlock it from orange? Im pretty sure that somebody already asked that question but digging throught 199 pages take a while :) Thanks for answer

Yes you will need the turbo sim, only unlocked iPhones can be used without the turbo sim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Kajlo

colm_c wrote: »
    Yes you will need the turbo sim, only unlocked iPhones can be used without the turbo sim.

Thanks

One more question ulocked means jailbreaked? I read that its voiding warranty. And what about turbo sim? Is something happend to iphone i can take it out, put orginal sim and should be able to send it to service?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

Kajlo wrote: »
    One more question ulocked means jailbreaked? I read that its voiding warranty. And what about turbo sim? Is something happend to iphone i can take it out, put orginal sim and should be able to send it to service?

Unlocked is not the same as jailbreaked. Jailbreaking is changing the device software to allow the user to install applications (other than from iTunes), move files around etc. A jailbreaked phone can install applications from Cydia/Installer, but can still only be used on the network on which it was sold.

Unlocking involves changing the baseband software to allow the phone be used on any network. A software unlock exists for the iphone 2G, but no software unlock yet exists for the iphone 3G. Turbo/rebel SIMs are used to allow the 3G iphone be used on other networks, but are not totally reliable & introduce issues with using the phone.

Technically, you're voiding your warranty if you jailbreak or unlock, but you can simply restore it to factory settings through iTunes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

Hey folks, Im currently with Meteor(unfortunatly) but im looking for an i-phone. i saw the offer O2 has for the pay monthly and it seems like great value but cant change networks for 10 or so months due to meteor contract, is my only option to buy an unlocked phone or is there some way of getting on to o2 without paying ling rental on meteor for the next 10 months??:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

You'll probably need an unlocked phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Celticwarrior

Got an i-phone off E-Bay. It's all grand and stuff so far, got all the updates etc.

I'm on meteor, it so far all going fine, even though I haven't set up the web on it asI'm waiting for my data bundle before i start that messing.

But, when I look at my phone in I-tunes, it has the wrong meteor number for me, and when I look in general settings it has the wrong meteor number for me. So far, it hasn't affected calls or texts but I'd like to fix it all the same. Has anyone any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

carrotcake wrote: »
    You'll probably need an unlocked phone.
    Cheers for that
    Got an i-phone off E-Bay. It's all grand and stuff so far, got all the updates etc.

I'm on meteor, it so far all going fine, even though I haven't set up the web on it asI'm waiting for my data bundle before i start that messing.

But, when I look at my phone in I-tunes, it has the wrong meteor number for me, and when I look in general settings it has the wrong meteor number for me. So far, it hasn't affected calls or texts but I'd like to fix it all the same. Has anyone any ideas?

Do ye mind my asking how much you got yours for and what Gig is it.
    some fella in Ire on E-bay selling a 4g one for E187 which seems good but memory might be a tad small

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Cheers for that

some fella in Ire on E-bay selling a 4g one for E187 which seems good but memory might be a tad small

4G? Was that a typo?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Gryzor

BostonB wrote: »
    4G? Was that a typo?

4GB I'd assume...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I'd forgotten there was a 4GB on at the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭trance2004

Folks,
    I want to get an iphone and Im with o2 already.Its a company phone. Would it be possible to get my simcard to work in iphone 3G?

or would I need the 3G sim for it?

Thanks in advance :)

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Celticwarrior

Got the 16GB Black for 590 on ebay. Got it off an italian guy with 99.7% positive feedback and over 1000 feedback. I prob paid a little extra to be sure i wasn't getting shafted. Got it yest, and it's going well so far. I'm with meteor and didn't want to budge.

Also, I solved the problem i mentioned above - if anyone else gets it, pop your sim into a sony ericcson phone, go to contacts, find a section called my numbers, you'll see the mystery number there, just change it to your own.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭finno

I want to buy the Iphone on prepaid but it be cheaper to buy it
    O2 in England than here. So if i buy it and put an Irish O2 sim card
    will it work???????????

Thanks

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️

Y.N.W.A

• Registered Users Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

finno wrote: »
    I want to buy the Iphone on prepaid but it be cheaper to buy it
    O2 in England than here. So if i buy it and put an Irish O2 sim card
    will it work???????????

Thanks

No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭darraghw

im pretty sure you can get aound it by using a turbo sim, they go for 15e from **** and the 8gb iphone wroks out at 400e from o2 uk.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Simon201

Got the 16GB Black for 590 on ebay. Got it off an italian guy with 99.7% positive feedback and over 1000 feedback.

Just curious why would you buy it off ebay for that price when you could just go to the Carphone Warehouse in Belfast and get exactly the same phone for around €453 (maybe around 470 by the time your CC has done the exchange?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭metalfest

Simon201 wrote: »
    Just curious why would you buy it off ebay for that price when you could just go to the Carphone Warehouse in Belfast and get exactly the same phone for around €453 (maybe around 470 by the time your CC has done the exchange?

unlocked vrs locked?

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Simon201

metalfest wrote: »
    unlocked vrs locked?

Yes, was forgetting that, it must be the network unlocked version....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭metalfest

it is, thats what you get in italy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

I bought a 16gb Iphone on prepay with O2 from their online shop on Friday.

However I was in an O2 store today an they advised me it cannot be unlocked for a year and cannot be used to make international calls for three months.

I got it for my boyfriend for Christmas. Currently he travels a lot and has an Irish, Uk, and Canadian sim.

I was hoping that he could use the Iphone in all, if not at least two locations, but having been told what I was told today I am not so sure.

What should I do?? Cancel the Irish order and get a UK sim instead.... at least he could use his UK sim in then?? Get a sim-free unlocked version from the states?? If I do this can he use all 3 sims in it??

Or is there some way to unlock the fone so that he can use it??

Any help or advice would really be appreciated; I'm so stuck for a christmas present for him otherwise!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭CivilEx

trance2004 wrote: »
    Folks,
    I want to get an iphone and Im with o2 already.Its a company phone. Would it be possible to get my simcard to work in iphone 3G?

or would I need the 3G sim for it?

Thanks in advance :)
    Your simcard should work ok. Check to see if "3g" is written on the back of it. If not, and it didn't work on 3g, you can pop into an O2 shop and they will give you a new sim card and swop accross your existing number to it on the spot

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭trance2004

Thats great, thanks for that :)

Hi

I need to get turbo sim to unlock my iphone. Do they work well with 2.2 soft or is better to downgrade to 2.1? Also if im on vodafone prepaid to i need to get special card to get 3g? I saw that somebody ask about it for o2.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,785 ✭✭✭Kane-N-Nite

Im on O2 pre pay & want to get an iphone, I was wondering does the 99c a day internet charge apply to the iphone? Any help appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

Im on O2 pre pay & want to get an iphone, I was wondering does the 99c a day internet charge apply to the iphone? Any help appreciated.
    Yep, the 99c per day charge is also for prepaid iPhone users.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Guys , quick question . Can I buy an iPhone over the counter in an Apple shop in the USA without a contract ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

sharkman wrote: »
    Guys , quick question . Can I buy an iPhone over the counter in an Apple shop in the USA without a contract ?

Not as far as you know, even if you did it will be lock to AT&T, you will be better getting 1 from Italy as they are factory unlock and can be got without a contract.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

nava wrote: »
    Not as far as you know, even if you did it will be lock to AT&T, you will be better getting 1 from Italy as they are factory unlock and can be got without a contract.

But surely I could just run quickpwn ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,785 ✭✭✭Kane-N-Nite

Got my iPhone today :), so far, so good. However, I cant seem to access bebo mobile, which is free and I could access from my old phone. I dont have any credit yet, but it should not make a difference.

Also, when I go to itunes and try to create a ringtone, it keeps saying "error 11556" etc. :(

Any suggestions/help greatly appreciated.

Other than that, the iphone rocks!:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement