Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3G iPhone Thread - [sourcing Qs / news about 3G iPhone here *ONLY* !!!]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

sharkman wrote: »
    But surely I could just run quickpwn ?

Doesn't unlock an iphone 3G, only jailbreaks it.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Da GOAT

hey guys,

dont kno if this is mentioned. ive a few links of very well priced iphones from china. am i correct from reading this thread that ANY iphone thats unlocked can work in Ireland? ive a meteor sim, seems from this thread that meteor can stil use ALL (?) iphone function available under 02.

amirite

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭BlindedByGInge

Da GOAT wrote: »
    hey guys,

dont kno if this is mentioned. ive a few links of very well priced iphones from china. am i correct from reading this thread that ANY iphone thats unlocked can work in Ireland? ive a meteor sim, seems from this thread that meteor can stil use ALL (?) iphone function available under 02.

Most of the iPhones that are coming out of China are total FAKES!! go on ebay and nearly every seller from china says that their iPhone is just a copy in the small print.

Anyway only countries like Italy are selling iPhones completely and legally unlocked by apple. And yes these Italian iphones will work on any irish network. Any iPhone that is unlocked using a turbo sim will also work in ireland with all phone functions available, BUT this usually gives trouble in the long run and usually isnt worth it, as you have voided your warranty with apple.
    Also jailbreaking doesnt unlock the iphone to all networks just unlocks in phone features that arent otherwise available.
    The best advice you can get is to avoid Chinese iphones like the plague and your best bet for getting an iphone on all irish networks is to buy one from Italy!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭darraghw

could you pm me said links, please!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭jame5_b

hi, im going up to the north next week to buy an iphone. Just wondering are iphones being sold with 2.2 or 2.1 firmware?

I want to order the turbo sim so i wont have to wait to long of it. If the iphone comes with 2.1 when i buy it and I order a 2.2 turbo sim can i just update the iphone so it will work with it??

Anyone know if there sold yet of prepay iphones???

Thanks.

• Advertisement

its on ibvcn.com

got the link from an ozzie mate of mine and said he bought one and a computer and is happy with wot he got.

im yet to see him online to verify, just got an email.

WARNING!!! link I gave above is confirmed spam by my friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

Any iPhone that is unlocked using a turbo sim will also work in ireland with all phone functions available, BUT this usually gives trouble in the long run and usually isnt worth it, as you have voided your warranty with apple.

How on earth would MAPPLE find out that you had a turboSIM, unless you were stupid enough to send it back to them, in the broken phone.

if you want to use something in your phone that you over paid for than thats your choice, dont worry about apple finding out, they wont.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭jimmychin

so i have a hacked 1g iphone - love it,

+ i'm already on paymonthly o2 basic tarriff.

dont need gps or 3g so wasnt bothered about upgrading

however, the missus cant keep her hands off mine !

so i was due an upgrade with o2 - €50 for the 3g iphone but i had to sign up to their €45/month tarriff.

i had a look and my spend is actually not that far off plus i get more minutes/data bundle/free wifi.

so i did the deed over a month ago.

now, i have this 3g iphone sat in a box for over a month without activating for €50 and my tarriff has not changed.

i presuming if i plug it into itunes to activate this will trigger the activation and i will move to the iphone tarriff.

i guess my questino is how can i activate and avoid the tarriff ?

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭pphheerroonn

I'm thinkin about buying an iphone for xmas but I hear that there is going to be an updated model announced in January. I think I heard 32gb floating about? Just wondering if you guys think I should get one now or wait? I'm thinking/ hoping for a price cut on the prepay deal! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I'm hearing there will be a lower cost 4GB one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭colm_c

BostonB wrote: »
    I'm hearing there will be a lower cost 4GB one.

Doubt it, more likely to be a 32GB version. The price is not likely to be any different for the upgraded version so you may get the 8GB for less.

Would make more sense. But this is mApple we're talking about.

http://www.engadget.com/2008/12/04/apple-walmart-to-do-99-4gb-iphone/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭jimmychin

wouldnt surprise me

there were rumours of the iphone "nano" prior to the 3g being launched

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

Guys, i've been approved to go and get an iPhone as a Business Device for Activesync mail etc - all of my colleagues in the US are using them, how and ever our Business Account is currently with Vodafone.

Will it be possible to purchase the iPhone from anywhere but O2 in 2009? How long do they have the contract for? Surely Vodafone will be able to sell it in the future? O2 had the Blackberry contract at first too i remember.

Absolutely itching to get my hands on one of these devices now but can't do so until i can purchase from somewhere without being jailbroken etc.

Guys, i've been approved to go and get an iPhone as a Business Device for Activesync mail etc - all of my colleagues in the US are using them, how and ever our Business Account is currently with Vodafone.

Will it be possible to purchase the iPhone from anywhere but O2 in 2009? How long do they have the contract for? Surely Vodafone will be able to sell it in the future? O2 had the Blackberry contract at first too i remember.

Absolutely itching to get my hands on one of these devices now but can't do so until i can purchase from somewhere without being jailbroken etc.

You can get unlocked ones (not jailbroken) from Italy and some other european countries, these will work on vodafone. As for Vodafone getting iPhones - o2 signed an exclusive deal with Apple, so they'll have them for the next few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

colm_c wrote: »
    You can get unlocked ones (not jailbroken) from Italy and some other european countries, these will work on vodafone. As for Vodafone getting iPhones - o2 signed an exclusive deal with Apple, so they'll have them for the next few years.

Is it possible to get these online from Italy/other European countries??

If you know where could you let me know please??

You could be saving Christmas for me if you do!!

Thanks!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

Cheers Colm_C.

Do you know where these can be bought online in say Italy?

Cheers Colm_C.

Do you know where these can be bought online in say Italy?

http://cellulari.factotus.it/apple-iphone-3g16-gb-black/dettaglio/id-1799105/

I don't think you'll be able to get them shipped here though, cheap flight to italy might be another way to go.

Is this cheaper than just getting a Pay as you Go?

• Advertisement

Is this cheaper than just getting a Pay as you Go?

Same price on the website i quoted and on o2.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 darncw

Got an I phone in London (Liverpool St), then got i un-locked around the corner from the o2 shop. Put my meteor sim in and works perfect. The texting function can be annoying,

Total cost incl unlocking and additional games €200:D

Same price on the website i quoted and on o2.ie

Then whats the point?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

darncw wrote: »
    Got an I phone in London (Liverpool St), then got i un-locked around the corner from the o2 shop. Put my meteor sim in and works perfect. The texting function can be annoying,

Total cost incl unlocking and additional games €200:D

So it's obviously a 2G iPhone then?

Then whats the point?

o2.ie ones are locked to o2 ireland, and need to be jailbroken for them to work on any other network, the ones from Italy can be used on any network without any hacking/jailbreaking.

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    So it's obviously a 2G iPhone then?

Has to be, or it's a 3G one and he signed a contract with O2 UK and he's fooked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭chriskat

o2.ie ones are locked to o2 ireland, and need to be jailbroken for them to work on any other network, the ones from Italy can be used on any network without any hacking/jailbreaking.

Jailbreaking a 3g phone won't allow it to be used with any network, at the moment there is no software unlock. They can only be unlocked using a turbosim type device. Jailbreaking only allows you install third party apps!

chriskat wrote: »
    Jailbreaking a 3g phone won't allow it to be used with any network, at the moment there is no software unlock. They can only be unlocked using a turbosim type device. Jailbreaking only allows you install third party apps!

Sorry I meant to say turbo sim/jailbreaking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭chriskat

Sorry I meant to say turbo sim/jailbreaking.
    No worries, it's just that the whole jailbreak/unlock can be very confusing to a new comer!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Gekko

have been able to get a few unlocked ones.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement