Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3G iPhone Thread - [sourcing Qs / news about 3G iPhone here *ONLY* !!!]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Kawabata

Hi folks,

Like some other posters, I'm thinking of getting a 3G iPhone (or more precisely asking for it for Christmas following persistant requests for present suggestions!).

Apologies if the following question has already been answered, but 200+ pages is a lot of reading.

I'm basically a 'talk and text' mobile user, although I wouldn't mind browsing the web if the option is there. However, I also need good PDA functionality - PIM, calendar, alarms, notes, memos, lists, document viewers/editors (although I understand the latter isn't available on the iPhone).

And one other thing - how easily is it to scratch, scuff and dent it in real-world use? I know there's all sorts of protective stuff out there, but with or without cases do you have to 'mind it' all the time or can you lash it into the coat pocket, etc., without worry?

By the way, I'm on vodafone and don't want to change, so it would be unlocked (rather than turboed).

I'd be interested to hear iPhone users' opinions.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

You want an all round phone, Nokia N96 / N95

You want to look stylish and attract attention on yourself, iPhone.

And yes, I have all three. I would not recommend the iPhone.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭menuisier

hey anyone here using their iphone with vodafone (or any other network for that matter) cause i was wondering if anyone is getting their location from the cell phone towers? cause i aint.
    i'm using a english pre pay with a tubro sim. having no other issues but just noticed this when i was playing around with a friends 02 iphone

• Registered Users Posts: 28,169 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

iphone 3G request,

has anyone got an as new / new iphone 3G capable of taking a vodafone sim card...top dollars paid...

tks
    dm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭metalfest

iphone 3G request,

has anyone got an as new / new iphone 3G capable of taking a vodafone sim card...top dollars paid...

tks
    dm

:o :eek: DM looking for an iphone...???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭chriskat

According to the iclarified site the dev team have announced that they will have a 3g unlock after Christmas!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,290 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

i've just bought a tytn 2 off ebay, for christmas,

and now i've across this site selling cheap iphones and they dont look like the clones

i'll be gutted if there genuine, as i really wanted one but were way too expensive, what do you think?

http://www.xmastronic.com/product_info.php?products_id=125&osCsid=8b3814e2975228d4c4d152ac79a57fda

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

I wouldn't go near them, based in Indonesia and domain was only register on 09-dec-2008

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

I would avoid that like the plague my friend.
    I tried dialling the contact number.... nothing for ages then a foreign voice explaining that the number has been temporarily disconnected.

Looks like a scam to relieve you of some hard earned cash - not good in recessionary times! Enjoy your TyTn II.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

And besides, the 3G iPhone hasn't been unlocked yet, so that's a sure sign of a scam.

Plus, the only payment they accept is wire transfer. Go figure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Zith

From the Dev-Team blog
    * The target release date for the unlock is New Year’s Eve 2008.
        * This unlock method is available to iPhone 3Gs that have 2.11.07 baseband or earlier, we did warn you.
        * The unlock requires a jailbroken 3G iPhone.

/Zith

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Borneo Fnctn

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    And besides, the 3G iPhone hasn't been unlocked yet, so that's a sure sign of a scam.

Plus, the only payment they accept is wire transfer. Go figure.

I'll take 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Dont go near it. If it sounds too good to be true....

• Registered Users Posts: 48 future.music

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

about ****ing time

Old news.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

But how will they get around 10.5.6 not looking at iPhones in DFU mode?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

I'm not sure but i did read that the unlock will be available through Cydia. As long as the iPhone is jailbroken you won't need a computer to unlock it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

the french competition agency ruled illegal that the iPhone is sold by only one mobile network operator. full story here:

http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/articles/djf500/200812170557DOWJONESDJONLINE000441_FORTUNE5.htm

i wish that would happen in ireland as well...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Eoin Macollamh

A workaround is to put a USB hub between the computer and the iPhone. Then you can go into DFU mode, even using 10.5.6 or a new MacBook/Pro.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Kajlo

Hi

I have iphone 3g with rebel simcard. When i put vodafone card its saying no service in top left corner. Same with meteor. That means that its not unlocked with that card ( but i can put my pin and its not giving error that its simlocked ) or there is something wrong with simcards?

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭CivilEx

Kajlo wrote: »
    Hi

I have iphone 3g with rebel simcard. When i put vodafone card its saying no service in top left corner. Same with meteor. That means that its not unlocked with that card ( but i can put my pin and its not giving error that its simlocked ) or there is something wrong with simcards?
    After you input your pin leave it alone for 5 minutes. It takes a while to register.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Kajlo

Same and with orginal simcard ( orange ) its picking signal straight away and i can chose vodafone or meteor as roaming network. And when i go to network selection its saying that it cant connect to selected network anymore.

With the current Exchange rate, a 16Gig iPhone is working out at €413 in the UK.

Looks like a trip to Newry is on the cards over the Christmas. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    With the current Exchange rate, a 16Gig iPhone is working out at €413 in the UK.

Looks like a trip to Newry is on the cards over the Christmas. :D

Uggh, I am so sickened at how much I paid for mine in the light of above.

Still though, its an Italian one.

I hope it works!!

Uggh, I am so sickened at how much I paid for mine in the light of above.

Still though, its an Italian one.

I hope it works!!

Well, if it is any consolation, I was going to sign up with O2 for their extortionate 18 month contract, I lurve my iPhone so much.

Glad I didn't now.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Whats the story with ziphone, I thought that could unlock them? I've have seen SIM free ones (a month or 2 ago) where did they come from if everything is tight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭chriskat

Rew wrote: »
    Whats the story with ziphone, I thought that could unlock them? I've have seen SIM free ones (a month or 2 ago) where did they come from if everything is tight?

They were probably 1st gen phones or 3g with turbo sims, the 3g iPhone can't be software unlocked yet. The unlock is being released on new years eve and even then it's only for certain basebands!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Nope brand new, still shrink wrapped, not locked 3G iPhones. Didn't pay much attenion to it untill I went looking for one for my bro and realised how hard it is to get them outsside of O2. Is ziphone only for 1st gen ones or something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

You can get unlocked 3Gs in Italy and a couple of other countries.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement