Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3G iPhone Thread - [sourcing Qs / news about 3G iPhone here *ONLY* !!!]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭fungie

if i was to buy a iphone 3g today, what version of firmware will it come with?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

fungie wrote: »
    if i was to buy a iphone 3g today, what version of firmware will it come with?

It would depend on how new the phone is from the factory.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭JohnOwonga

o2 could take over the Irish Mobile Market is they played there cards right with regards price plans with a appealing price plan and whose prices everyone would want one FACT! But no there stupid.
    >>>>
    I am thinking about purchasing 2 of these 3G Videophones live video streaming which handset represents good value for money?
    which network area Dublin Prefer Pay as you go tarriff

do this mobile phones have good low light picture taking capability?
    Are they just a gimmick?

Three Network are the only people to give 14 days money back gaurantee.

Regards,

John

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Megatron_X

Hello, I'm planning a trip to Florida on the 27th December for about 2 weeks. While thinking of my wishlist of what I'd like to buy I suddenly thought of an iPhone.

I'm wondering what I'd have to do/if I'm able to unlock the phone to be used here in Ireland on the Meteor network?1confused.gif

I really hope I can, I'm really looking forward to getting one!

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭eirlink

carrotcake wrote: »
    You can get unlocked 3Gs in Italy and a couple of other countries.

short of going there, is there a link or online supplier?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭fbradyirl

You can only buy one if you sign up for an 18 month contract with AT&T. You would also need a social security number so I don't think it's possible!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Wasn't possible when i was out there in August. US Credit Card and Social Security number before they would give you a phone. Unless you might have more luck in BestBuy or Walmart, but I doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

eBay is your man. Although unlocking could be a hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭STBR

ironclaw wrote: »
    eBay is your man. Although unlocking could be a hassle.

There's an unlocking thread in one of the stickies on this board.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

whiterebel wrote: »
    Wasn't possible when i was out there in August. US Credit Card and Social Security number before they would give you a phone. Unless you might have more luck in BestBuy or Walmart, but I doubt it.

Thats right i tried to get one over in America in August even though i had an address and was living there for a few months. If you have no credit history they wont sell you one without a $500 deposit aswell as the full price of the phone which is $199 or $299.And then you have to pay the first month of your contract up front and a contract cancellation fee after the one month so you don't have to pay the other 18 months.Long and the short of it is that it would be a lot less hassle to just buy one here.

The unlock will be available for free from new years eve as it was just software unlocked two days ago.
    Unlocking may still be a problem as there is a new modern firmware on the latest ones 02.28.00 and only the older firmware 02.11.07 is unlocked. Id suggest if you cant use it on O2 pick a factory unlocked one up off the internet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Megatron_X

I'm going to America soon, and I'm wondering what kind of phone/PDA I should get.

My current phone is about 3 years old, so it's obviously outdated.

I was thinking of the iPhone, but that seems to be quite a hassle to unlock it nevermind purchase it, are there any other similar that anyone could advise?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Megatron_X wrote: »
    I'm going to America soon, and I'm wondering what kind of phone/PDA I should get.

My current phone is about 3 years old, so it's obviously outdated.

I was thinking of the iPhone, but that seems to be quite a hassle to unlock it nevermind purchase it, are there any other similar that anyone could advise?

None... Honestly, it's America, the land that mobile telephoney forgot. Your three year old phone will appear to be magic compared to the average American phone.

edit. If in NY you may want to check out the Nokia store for decent European Spec phones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

if you ask an ordinary every day american what phone they have they will say the name of the network.

ya they are kind of backward. prepaid over there is for old people and very young people who cant control their spending. if you ask for an unlocked phone without contract they will look at you like you have 2 heads

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

my advice: dont buy a phone stateside.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,491 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Hi All,
    Was thinking of getting the Iphone on o2 prepay. How would I go about getting it unlocked?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

antodeco wrote: »
    Hi All,
    Was thinking of getting the Iphone on o2 prepay. How would I go about getting it unlocked?

Thanks

http://blog.iphone-dev.org/post/65126957/tis-the-season-to-be-jolly

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,491 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Cool, thanks for that. It seems to make sense to wait til the new year to buy it, after the unlocks have been tried?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

My legally unlocked iphone arrived yesterday. Looks good, still in cellophane, and the part number corresponds to the legit unlocked italian phones. I'm happy with it despite the RIDICULOUS amount I had to pay for it.

So hopefully it will go down a treat on Christmas day!!

Quick question though, Can my boyf just whack his SIM into it straight up and it will work or what is the procedure??

What about then putting a SIM from another network/in another country in the phone at a later date? Is it necessary to do something at that point also? (He will potentially be using 3 diferent SIMs in it from 3 different countries...Meteor, T-mobile, and a Canadian network)

Also, Can he download the latest firmware from itunes??

I have the fone; now for the techie bits!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cojomo2

he will have to activate it which involves putting his irish sim in it, terning it on and connecting it to hid pc/mac which has the latest version of itunes on it. if he does not have an itunes a/c he can sign up for one, its free. the activation process takes about 2 min. once this is done he can chop and change sims as much as he wants with no probs..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

cojomo2 wrote: »
    he will have to activate it which involves putting his irish sim in it, terning it on and connecting it to hid pc/mac which has the latest version of itunes on it. if he does not have an itunes a/c he can sign up for one, its free. the activation process takes about 2 min. once this is done he can chop and change sims as much as he wants with no probs..

Sweet, thanks a mil!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

Has anyone used this website to purchase an unlocked iphone? Just got one for an Christmas present. £520 for 8GB and £580 for 16GB.

http://www.phonedevil.com/shop/

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Has anyone used this website to purchase an unlocked iphone? Just got one for an Christmas present. £520 for 8GB and £580 for 16GB.

http://www.phonedevil.com/shop/

What's that in real money?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Can only use paypal and bank transfer usually means its a bit dodgy

EDIT: I see its just an ebay seller in the process of setting up a proper site... Feedback looks good on their ebay profile. I'd buy thru ebay and with paypal, wouldnt have trusted that site had I not seen the ebay page tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

Real money? Sterling prices. I have bought one and received. Not opened because it's a Christmas present. It is from Italy where locking phones to a network is illegal. Instructions may be in in Italian though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭su_dios

Can someone tell me where can I buy a turbo sim in Dublin? My friend has ordered one from HK but won't be here in time for xmas.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Borneo Fnctn

su_dios wrote: »
    Can someone tell me where can I buy a turbo sim in Dublin? My friend has ordered one from HK but won't be here in time for xmas.

Thanks

A place called Fm Mobiles on Georges Street. It might not work with the new firmware. They cost 35 lids.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Has anyone had trouble with the home button? Mine is stubborn as fùck, might have to hold the thing for 5 seconds before it brings you back to the main menu. Sometimes you have to press it repeatedly. Went into the O2 shop earlier, they are cleaned out so they want to send it back to Apple. I know it's probably a hardware issue and there's nothing I can do myself, but if anyone else has had the same problem I'm all ears.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Real money? Sterling prices.

Yes, unlike you, I can read. It may have escaped your attention, but in this country we don't use sterling.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,176 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Yes, unlike you, I can read. It may have escaped your attention, but in this country we don't use sterling.
    *fists the air while singing "A Nation Once Again"*

According to XE: £520 = €552.86 and £580 = €616.58. Seems expensive, even for an iPhone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭el dude

Has anyone had any luck in importing these from say....the US? Will they work over here once they've been hacked/unlocked?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement