Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3G iPhone Thread - [sourcing Qs / news about 3G iPhone here *ONLY* !!!]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,220 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

*fists the air while singing "A Nation Once Again"*

According to XE: £520 = €552.86 and £580 = €616.58. Seems expensive, even for an iPhone.

Or wait a week or so and it's 520 € :)

For the fact that is is an italian phone it's just too expensive to buy it from phonedevil.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Eccentric Toast

I was wondering my gf is in the U.S. If i got her to get a contract for the 16GB iphone for $299 with AT&T would she be able to cancel the contract right after she buys it and keep the phone, and could i unlock it then when she sends it over here to be used on any network. I know that some iphones dont come with sim slots so that kinda info would help too.

Thanks in advanced

P.S sorry about the unlocking part i just saw the sticky but it goes with my post.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭center15

She wouldn't be able to buy it without living in the US and providing proof of address etc, same as here really. The iPhone does actually have a sim card slot though.

Ah but she does :)

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭center15

She'd have no problem buying one so :) but she wouldn't be able to cancel without handing back the phone! There's no way of getting out of the contract after the return period is over other than paying off the rest of the contract.

• Advertisement

Err guess its the 32GB itouch then :( Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

el dude wrote: »
    Has anyone had any luck in importing these from say....the US? Will they work over here once they've been hacked/unlocked?

google.com

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

el dude wrote: »
    Has anyone had any luck in importing these from say....the US? Will they work over here once they've been hacked/unlocked?
    google.com

Boards.ie -> Mobiles & PDAs -> Search

Or just go back a few pages on this thread. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,933 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I feel old.. I remember when it used to be funny all the people coming in asking about buying an unlocked iPhone 3G from the states.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭CyberDave

I am thinking of buying an iPhone. I am currently on Vodafone. Is it possible to buy the iPhone from O2 and have it unlocked to work with Vodafone? Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭bluemachaveli

Anyone gettin a prepay iPhone for xmas! Would ye be kind enough to post the firmware on the phone and the modem firmware?

You will find them under "Settings" -> "General" -> "About"

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭su_dios

A place called Fm Mobiles on Georges Street. It might not work with the new firmware. They cost 35 lids.

Cool thanks! Damn I had to run it on 2.2 as the 2.1 firmware I had downloaded was corrupt and wouldn't load.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

It's been already said, yellowsn0w will be out in a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭skapegoat

Hi all, this thread has gotten so big so not sure if this has seen posted before.
    Anyway, I have found a bluetooth headset that works well with the iPhone.
    They are a set of Sony headphones that wrap around the back of your head made for the iPod.
    It has a bluetooth dongle that plugs in the bottom of your iPhone when the headphones are in use.
    This dongle emits to the headphones and let's you listen to the music on your headphones.
    The best thing is that you can also wirelesly pair the headset to your phone so when you get a call you can answer using the headphones, they have a microphone integreated too and the voice comes through in stereo.

The pros are you can listen to music wireless and when you get a call it stops, takes the call, then resumes when you hang up.
    It also has controls of volume, pause, ffw,rw, track fwd, track back and power.

The cons are the Bluetooth dongle has to be connected at all times but it's a neat little thing.
    Also sometimes the music can dissapear for a second like the signal is missing but this is rare and mostly happens in cities where there is more inyerferance.

They are called Sony Bluetooth wireless stereo headset dr- bt21ik
    They can be got in Sony stores for 120e
    But Argos have them at around 60e on sale at the moment!

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Sighface

any where you can pick up a turbo sim in Derry??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭The_Chopper

Can anyone tell me how to check the amount of MSN's I have sent from my IPhone 3G. Similarly how do i check the amount of time i've spent on the phone - calls made vs calls received.
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Has anyone compared the prices of an iPhone from O2 UK versus O2 Ireland? By my calculations, at the current exchange rate, its about 150 euro cheaper to buy it from O2 UK. I guess the problem then is getting it unlocked somehow.

I'm very tempted to buy an iPhone but I want to wait until they bring out a 32GB version at least. Also if they would bring them out on networks other than O2 in Ireland, it would make me much more likely to buy one. It annoyes me a lot that it's only available on O2. You'd think Apple would make a ton more money if it was for sale on all networks. Imagine only being able to buy a Nokia phone on one network!

Has anyone compared the prices of an iPhone from O2 UK versus O2 Ireland? By my calculations, at the current exchange rate, its about 150 euro cheaper to buy it from O2 UK. I guess the problem then is getting it unlocked somehow.
    going to call into Derry on Saturday and pick one up :D just got to wait for the unlock on new years eve

Let us know how you get on Sighface. I read a little about the unlock that gets released on New Years Eve and as far as I know, in order for it to work, the software on the iPhone has to be a particular version AND the iPhone must already be "jailbreaked" I think...

I'm definitely not an expert on it anyway and I'm sure there's loads of people on this thread who know more about it than I do. I just seen something about it on the website of the Dev team who created it.

the unlock the dev team are releasing on new years eve is for v 2.1 only.lets hope the one i pick up is on that version, other wise i have a turbo sim for version 2.2 on the way.

• Advertisement

I've read about these TurboSims and have heard that they can cause problems in the long run. Anyone here actually experienced any issues from using a TurboSim or something similar? If so, what problems did you run into?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭zoos

I have a question if someone could tell me. If I bought an Iphone as a prepay customer, do the calls cost more from an iphone than a different phone? And can you get data add ons when a prepay customer?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

zoos wrote: »
    I have a question if someone could tell me. If I bought an Iphone as a prepay customer, do the calls cost more from an iphone than a different phone?

Why would you think that O2 would charge more for phonecalls from an iPhone than from another phone?
    zoos wrote: »
    And can you get data add ons when a prepay customer?

Yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭zoos

I heard (obviously bull) from someone that is was far more expensive to make phone calls. Cool thanks a mill for the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭runswithascript

When is the next iPhone released?

Not sure when the next iPhone is released. There's all sorts of rumours doing the rounds, from an iPhone nano to a 32 GB iPhone. MacWorld is next week and although Steve Jobs won't be at it, the guy from Apple who is going the keynote speech may reveal some information.

I reckon a 32GB iPhone musn't be too far off in the distance, especially as they have a 32GB iPod Touch out at the moment. I've came very close to buying a 16GB iPhone but I'm going to hold off to see if they bring out the 32GB version.

Did you get your iPhone Sighface?

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭menuisier

i am currently using vodafone pay as you go but the 19c per mb is taking the fun out of using it on the go. so i was wonder what is the generally consensus on the best companies and price plan for iphone.
    so far on top of the leader board for me is 3's "best of both worlds" which is 25€ then any other 10$ data. im leaving in dublin so i'm guessing there coverage must be ok here.
    any feedback would be mucho appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cojomo2

yep i have an iphone 3g and im using 3 ire, they are the best when it comes to data(10 quid for 1gb add on) and if you know a few people on 3 they are the best value for calls also..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Why are you on Vodafone. Have you looked at your calls and worked out what are you most common type of calls, and to which network. That usually points you in the direction of which network and which plan to be on.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement