Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3G iPhone Thread - [sourcing Qs / news about 3G iPhone here *ONLY* !!!]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

menuisier wrote: »
    i am currently using vodafone pay as you go but the 19c per mb is taking the fun out of using it on the go. so i was wonder what is the generally consensus on the best companies and price plan for iphone.
    so far on top of the leader board for me is 3's "best of both worlds" which is 25€ then any other 10$ data. im leaving in dublin so i'm guessing there coverage must be ok here.
    any feedback would be mucho appreciated

Mate of mine used his iPhone 3G on 3 and ended up going back to Vodafone, where he "discovered" they had plans that would suit his spending more... so maybe look into their data plans...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Devia

swingking wrote: »

It works a treat on Meteor :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭runswithascript

Has anyone had their eyes on an iPhone and now reconsidered after seeing the Nokia N97? I know it's very likely Apple have a new iPhone around the corner but it will probably just be an update to the storage capacity as opposed to an actual new version...

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Sighface

also works a treat on 3 ireland :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Yes, unlike you, I can read. It may have escaped your attention, but in this country we don't use sterling.
    What's with the agression? The website has it's prices in sterling and the sterling price will stay the same, wheras the converted Euro rate will change.

Phone works fine on vodafone. No problems setting up with I-Tunes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

LA3G wrote: »
    Has anyone had their eyes on an iPhone and now reconsidered after seeing the Nokia N97? I know it's very likely Apple have a new iPhone around the corner but it will probably just be an update to the storage capacity as opposed to an actual new version...

Theres lots of phones which are better phones, and/or have a far better spec. But the iphone has the best/slickiest interface, and best touch screen in terms of accuracy and sensitivity, and the best mobile browsing experience. If not the most featured browser. Its probably the worst value for money, all things considered.

So I guess you have to decide which you want. I'm still on the fence. Features, flexibilty vs Apple experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 a4775

what about getting a fone from england then?
    i am looking to get the samsung i8510 but it seems like it isnt going to be released over here any time soon
    i know someone with an address in england, so could i get it unlocked?

also, how would i get myself out of the contract?
    id rather not pay money if at all possible you see, because free things are really nice

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Megatron_X

Heya guys, I know it's probably an annoying one that I should know but I have a question!

I'm in Orlando at the moment and I'm thinking about buying an iPhone 3G. I don't know where to buy it to be honest but from what I hear it is only available on AT&T. Well the thing is I'm not an American and I usually use the Meteor phone network.Well I have 2 questions:

1) Does anyone know if I'm able to buy an iPhone here to bring back over to Éire with me?

2) What should I ask for in the store? Can you ask for a Ready to Go phone with no sim? I have my Meteor phone (no battery sadly) but I do have my sim card if I need to do anything.

Can anyone please help me? I have a week left in America and it is a bit cheaper than Ireland so I would like to get it here if possible!

Thanks I hope!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Have a search through the forum and come back if anything isn't covered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

I think they ask for a social security number when you try to buy an iPhone in the US, that's what happened when my cousin tried to buy one in New York but, that was a while ago, could be different now.

If you can't buy one there, you should be able to buy up the north, it's alot cheaper up there than here. I think it's €360 for a 8gb 3G in Newry. I paid €380 on ebay for my 2g version a couple of months before all this 3G unlock talk came out >.<

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

I was shocked by the phones they have in the states. Two bean tins connected by string would have been better in some cases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭inode

just go into a walmart and pick up a cheap motorola for 10 bucks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭quintron

inode wrote: »
    just go into a walmart and pick up a cheap motorola for 10 bucks!
    Tracphone? Its a killer on minutes but a bargain if you want to call locally while in US.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

are the rumours i hear of O2s lease being up this month true? could someone else (possibly3) outbid them for the renewal?

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭^whitey^

I'm in the exact same situation, would appreciate if you could let us know how you get on Megatron.

I'm flying out to Orlando next week and have a few days to spare so I might swing by walmart and pick one up.

Megatron_X wrote: »
    Heya guys, I know it's probably an annoying one that I should know but I have a question!

I'm in Orlando at the moment and I'm thinking about buying an iPhone 3G. I don't know where to buy it to be honest but from what I hear it is only available on AT&T. Well the thing is I'm not an American and I usually use the Meteor phone network.Well I have 2 questions:

1) Does anyone know if I'm able to buy an iPhone here to bring back over to Éire with me?

2) What should I ask for in the store? Can you ask for a Ready to Go phone with no sim? I have my Meteor phone (no battery sadly) but I do have my sim card if I need to do anything.

Can anyone please help me? I have a week left in America and it is a bit cheaper than Ireland so I would like to get it here if possible!

Thanks I hope!!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,933 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Hopefully not. As bad as O2 are I think three would be worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭BlindedByGInge

Q2002 wrote: »
    Hopefully not. As bad as O2 are I think three would be worse.

Hopefully they do. Any bit of competition in the iPhone market might force O2 to get their act together and have some decent price plans. At least then we might have a choice of networks if we decide to waste or money on an iPhone. I have also been told by a 3 representitive that O2's lease might be running out, so hopefully this is true. Maybe just maybe the price of an iPhone might drop too, so its not as over priced as it is now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭coadyj

Megatron_X wrote: »

Thanks I hope!!

You can buy an iphone here in ireland, not cheap but you can unlock it to o2, you cant by ready to go iphones in america

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Just out of curiosity, if you buy an iPhone here on Pre-Pay or contract, will O2 unlock it for you after a certain point if you ask them? I thought I read somewhere that if you are on pre-pay they will unlock it for free after a year...?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭CivilEx

O2 have been "unclear" about this so far and are treating the iPhone differently to other phones that you can buy from them. More info on this on the O2 Forum. (http://forums.O2online.ie)

In short, I don't think they are likely to unlock any phones bought from them

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Anyone else have difficulty transferring iPhone photos to a pc? I've been looking at forums and it seems to be a common problem. Not sure if it's a problem with the phone or whether my pc can't read it.

When I plug in the phone, a window comes up saying 'Camera Connected' and prompts me to pick a program to open it. Only problem is, there are no programs I can click to open it. When I go to my computer, the phone appears under 'Scanners & Cameras' but when I go into it, the folder is empty.

I know I can email photos to myself, but for transferring multiple photos that'd be a real pain in the ass.

Can anyone help?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭MacBuster

Can anyone tell me the vodafone ireland APN details for a 2G iPhone

BostonB wrote: »
    Theres lots of phones which are better phones, and/or have a far better spec. But the iphone has the best/slickiest interface, and best touch screen in terms of accuracy and sensitivity, and the best mobile browsing experience.

Have you seen the N97 videos or reviews? It looks just a slick, true 16:9 ratio, maximum 46GB storage, 3.5mm headset and TV out, has a full qwerty flip out keyboard, 5MP camera back and user facing camera front, excellent touch screen and the browsing experience doesn't look too shabby and very Applesque no less.

Engadget's Nokia N97 Hands On Review

Engadget's Nokia N97 Hands On Video

Official Nokia N97 Demo

Official Nokia N97 Demo - the great Fondle Video

Nokia N97 Review - The iPhone Killer
    BostonB wrote: »
    If not the most featured browser. Its probably the worst value for money, all things considered.

So I guess you have to decide which you want. I'm still on the fence. Features, flexibilty vs Apple experience.

I want to own an iPhone partly because I've wanted one for so long and put off buying an iPod because the plan was always to someday soon have an iPhone but I don't want one just because I want one.

I want an iPhone because it's the best smart phone but with a new iPhone version rather than update probably not due until the summer and with the N97 almost here, which people are calling the iPhone killer, and CES 2009 in a few days with who knows what being showcased it's looking less and less likely I'll end up buying one.

Say it ain't so?

• Subscribers Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Anyone else have difficulty transferring iPhone photos to a pc? I've been looking at forums and it seems to be a common problem. Not sure if it's a problem with the phone or whether my pc can't read it.

When I plug in the phone, a window comes up saying 'Camera Connected' and prompts me to pick a program to open it. Only problem is, there are no programs I can click to open it. When I go to my computer, the phone appears under 'Scanners & Cameras' but when I go into it, the folder is empty.

I know I can email photos to myself, but for transferring multiple photos that'd be a real pain in the ass.

Can anyone help?

for me, as soon as it is plugged in it comes up as a folder in windows explorer, I just grab them from there.

Just out of curiosity, if you buy an iPhone here on Pre-Pay or contract, will O2 unlock it for you after a certain point if you ask them? I thought I read somewhere that if you are on pre-pay they will unlock it for free after a year...?

I dont know, but as long as your a little IT savvy you should be able to unlock it yourself

Have you seen the N97 videos or reviews? It looks just a slick, true 16:9 ratio, maximum 46GB storage, 3.5mm headset and TV out, has a full qwerty flip out keyboard, 5MP camera back and user facing camera front, excellent touch screen and the browsing experience doesn't look too shabby and very Applesque no less.

Engadget's Nokia N97 Hands On Review

Engadget's Nokia N97 Hands On Video

Official Nokia N97 Demo

Official Nokia N97 Demo - the great Fondle Video

Nokia N97 Review - The iPhone Killer

I want to own an iPhone partly because I've wanted one for so long and put off buying an iPod because the plan was always to someday soon have an iPhone but I don't want one just because I want one.

I want an iPhone because it's the best smart phone but with a new iPhone version rather than update probably not due until the summer and with the N97 almost here, which people are calling the iPhone killer, and CES 2009 in a few days with who knows what being showcased it's looking less and less likely I'll end up buying one.

Say it ain't so?

there have been a lot of "iphone killers", what makes iphone so successful is that its

1. A flash phone for the businessmen
    2. A fun phone for the novice user with great apps from app store
    3. A geeks wet dream for customization and fun stuff.
    4. it now runs Linux FTW

There is also a hugh development side to the iphone, and with a little know how you can have all those apps for free, There is an app which lets you download a song anywhere you are for free via P2P, there is an app which lets you stream all your media from home, so space is no longer an issue

I'm not saying for a second that the n97 doesn't look like a cool phone, it looks sweet, but there is only room for one phone in my pocket

If your sitting on the fence about waiting for better features etc, don't go to o2 today and buy yourself a PAYG iPhone then just unlock it, all Irish carriers are confirmed working, where as in a few months or week apple will release its new firmware which wont be unlockable

coadyj wrote: »

1. A flash phone for the businessmen

I heard the iPhone has a problem with Macromedia Flash, is this true and if so is there a way to make it work? Also, what's the linux distro you mentioned that works on it?

I heard the iPhone has a problem with Macromedia Flash, is this true and if so is there a way to make it work? Also, what's the linux distro you mentioned that works on it?

Flash doesn't work on the iPhone. Its down to licencing and control reasons rather than any technical reason.

http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2008/11/adobe-flash-on.html

• Advertisement

Yes. Theres already better phones/smart phones out there. So the N97 isn't any different just because it has a better spec. Maybe the GUI and touch screen are as good as the iPhone, who knows. You won't know until real people start using the phone and reporting problems. No phone is perfect.

The iPhone isn't the best smart phone. Its lacking too many features. But it probably has the best user experience. Which is a different thing entirely. Who knows what will turn up. At the end of the day with all technology you buy what you want/need now. Theres no way of predicting whats around the corner. If you wait till the summer, then you'll end up waiting for the autumn then whats out for xmas. Its an never ending cycle. Same with all technology.

What ever phone you get, if you buy it prepay, or simfree you can always sell it and buy the latest thing. Lots of people do that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement