Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3G iPhone Thread - [sourcing Qs / news about 3G iPhone here *ONLY* !!!]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭metalfest

LA3G wrote: »
    I heard the iPhone has a problem with Macromedia Flash, is this true and if so is there a way to make it work? Also, what's the linux distro you mentioned that works on it?

:cool:, he said a flash phone.
    as in the phone is flashy?trendy?hip?cool?
    get it now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 fts_67

can u no go into o2 store up the north and purchase a 3g iphone??? without any questions being asked or contracts being signed (like purchasing 2g iphone)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

fts_67 wrote: »
    can u no go into o2 store up the north and purchase a 3g iphone??? without any questions being asked or contracts being signed (like purchasing 2g iphone)

On pay as you go, the answer is...............yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

I bought my Boyfriend a legally unlocked iphone for xmas, one of the italian ones, works an absolute treat. It wasn't exactly cheap, but even thoughh he himself is very techie I think secretly he's glad that he doesn't have to mess around with jail breaking and unlocking etc.....tis very straightforward this way.....

Of course now, seeing him play with his I want one......grrrrrrr.....:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭chriskat

I bought my Boyfriend a legally unlocked iphone for xmas, one of the italian ones, works an absolute treat. It wasn't exactly cheap, but even thoughh he himself is very techie I think secretly he's glad that he doesn't have to mess around with jail breaking and unlocking etc.....tis very straightforward this way.....

It really is no problem jailbreaking and now unlocking the 3g iPhone just check out www.iclarified.com it's childs play and it is a brilliant phone!!!!!!

• Advertisement

chriskat wrote: »
    It really is no problem jailbreaking and now unlocking the 3g iPhone just check out www.iclarified.com it's childs play and it is a brilliant phone!!!!!!

Really? It might be an option I'd consider for me then.... he will be ujsing a number of different sims in diff countries in his though so I still feel legally unlocked was the best route for him....

Really? It might be an option I'd consider for me then.... he will be ujsing a number of different sims in diff countries in his though so I still feel legally unlocked was the best route for him....

Up until new years eve the leagally unlocked phone was the only option but now any 3g iPhone can be unlocked to use any sim and it can all be done by anyone for free!!

He should still jailbreak.......some great free apps are on cydia.

If you ever split up with the lucky fella, PM me....:D

He should still jailbreak.......some great free apps are on cydia.

If you ever split up with the lucky fella, PM me....:D

LOL:D

Believe me, above has been mentioned already..... I'm blocking my ears;)

I'm now seriously contemplating getting one for myself up North.... I just can't justify the O2 tariffs!!

But would one unlock using a bill pay Vodafone sim??

And Do Vodafone actually have the sertings for the iphone despite O2 having exclusivity....?

LOL:D

Believe me, above has been mentioned already..... I'm blocking my ears;)

I'm now seriously contemplating getting one for myself up North.... I just can't justify the O2 tariffs!!

But would one unlock using a bill pay Vodafone sim??

And Do Vodafone actually have the sertings for the iphone despite O2 having exclusivity....?

It will work no probs, just input the vodafone APN settings in the iphone and you are set to go.

• Advertisement

It will work no probs, just input the vodafone APN settings in the iphone and you are set to go.

And I assume Vodafone will give these to me no bother??

Derry here i come!!

And I assume Vodafone will give these to me no bother??

Derry here i come!!

No need to bother Vodafone,

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=106942

Internet Data (Post-Pay Customers):
    Data Bearer: GPRS
    Access Point Name: isp.vodafone.ie *
    User Name: vodafone
    Password: vodafone

Authentication: Normal
    DNS: Automatic / Blank
    Gateway IP Address: 0.0.0.0

Just type in the bold text I have highlighted into the iphone and you are god to go.......A lot of networks beam these settings in any case you might not even have to enter it. I didnt with an O2 ireland sim in my O2UK iphone

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

will the unlock limit me from doing a system update, and can this stop any of my phones features working?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

zuroph wrote: »
    will the unlock limit me from doing a system update, and can this stop any of my phones features working?
    Some newer updates will undo your "work around", I've 1 of the original iphones and jailbroke it last Feb, haven't bothered updating it since, still works perfectly and haven't heard of any specific fixes that I need

zuroph wrote: »

It usually only takes a week or two after a firmware update for the dev team to come up with a custom firmware to jailbreak so I would assume the unlock would be similar but you are not forced to update!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

right, mind is almost made up, i think i need to get one of these. damn sexy gadgets.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 dizzybridie

Help..spent weeks bidding for my new 3g iphone. Ordered a turbo sim and just cannot connect to vodaphone network. Get msg' no service'. When i go to settings then carrier it searches for available networks. It finds all the irish networks but everytime i try to select vodafone it gives me 'Network lost' popup 'Your selected cellular network is no longer available...' Any ideas? Dying to use my new phone...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

Help..spent weeks bidding for my new 3g iphone. Ordered a turbo sim and just cannot connect to vodaphone network. Get msg' no service'. When i go to settings then carrier it searches for available networks. It finds all the irish networks but everytime i try to select vodafone it gives me 'Network lost' popup 'Your selected cellular network is no longer available...' Any ideas? Dying to use my new phone...

maybe try to disable 3g also Reset Network settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 dizzybridie

Hey any luck with your phone? Im having exact same problem with mine??

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭CivilEx

You could consider the software unlock (http://blog.iphone-dev.org) if you cannot get your turbosim to work? What version firmware is on your phone (Settings>General>About>Modem Firmware)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Daz R1

Ive had the original 2g iphone 1.1.2 since last March ,ive raved about it that much that my g-friend had one shortly after me ,and then this xmass her younger sister wanted one ,so i went and got her one (for her bfriend to give to her for xmass -nice suprise :D) now I bought a ligit O2 phone off ebay from the UK -not jail broken -and got my sis-inlaw to swap to O2 so everthing would work on xmass -OR so i taught -long story short it didnt and even O2 told me to "go on the web and find the unlocking software" He was very technical :D:D
    Now Ive unlocked mine from the 1.1.2 all the way up to the current 2.2 and I have to agree with Criskat ,a child could do it ,but yes it is daunting when you first sit down to do it ,and Iclarfied.com is brilliant ,I used that and the Yellowsn0w web site which is the latest hack for the 3g's ,there was an inital problem when ya reboot and it "seeing" the sim but that latest beta version of yellowsn0w fix's that ..... simple ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭pphheerroonn

Anyone know if I buy an iPhone in Northern Ireland will it work on O2 here? I quite fancy the sterling prices but not so much the Jailbreaking and having to wait for software updates.

Anyone know if I buy an iPhone in Northern Ireland will it work on O2 here? I quite fancy the sterling prices but not so much the Jailbreaking and having to wait for software updates.

Not sure it will work ,but I may be corrected on that :p,but seriously buy the phone and jailbreak it ,its so simple,plus you'll get cyida when jailbroken ,which gives you so much more !

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭pphheerroonn

Daz R1 wrote: »
    Not sure it will work ,but I may be corrected on that :p,but seriously buy the phone and jailbreak it ,its so simple,plus you'll get cyida when jailbroken ,which gives you so much more !

Itsnot the fact that its simple, I have done it for friends before. I just don't like waiting for the Dev Team to patch the latest software, whereas I could get it as soon as its released otherwise. There is also that small chance that apple may release an update that may not be crackable immediately or for some time... :confused:

Itsnot the fact that its simple, I have done it for friends before. I just don't like waiting for the Dev Team to patch the latest software, whereas I could get it as soon as its released otherwise. There is also that small chance that apple may release an update that may not be crackable immediately or for some time... :confused:

Ok now I get were your comming from :o

I think your bat sh1t crazy. Why on earth do you have to HAVE the latest update, the last update was a waste of time and only pumped out to kill the turbo sims in circulation, nothing that great came with it.

So you might have to wait 2 weeks top for the dev team to crack it, and two weeks would be pushing it going on past cracks that have came withing a few days.

Even if Apple did release an update that was hard to crack (do you know how much time and money they would have to set aside to do that?) what is the problem with having a phone that still does all the same things it did a week ago.................Just dont update............its that simple.

I can not think of one thing I would un-jailbreak my phone for, in update terms. There is not really too much more they can do to the phone......I wouldnt even update for COPY and PASTE or PUSH. So I have to wait 15 minutes for my email to check it self, not the end of the world.

But look if you want to keep it legit it is of course your choice, you spent good hard earned cash on your phone (funny how I call it your phone, unjailbroken it remains apples). I do take issue with your points for not jailbreaking it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

Guys,

This maybe off the current topic of this thread but I am looking to buy postpaid iPhone from O2. I rang them up and I can see two options....

Option 1
    - I have to pay out my existing contract for €120
    - I buy a new iPhone with new contract for €229
    Cost -> €349

Pro - cheap(ish) Con - Lost old number.

Option 2
    - Buy prepaid iPhone for €480
    - Through out the new sim and put existing sim in and switch over to iPhone tariff.
    Cost -> €480

Pro - keep existing number Con - Expensive !!

Is it possible for me to buy speakeasy iPhone. Use existing SIM in iPhone BUT DON'T switch over to iPhone tariff ? And just add a data package to my existing account ?
    Would I have to jailbreak to do that ?

And finally, any other options ?

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭CivilEx

brianon wrote: »
    Guys,

Is it possible for me to buy speakeasy iPhone. Use existing SIM in iPhone BUT DON'T switch over to iPhone tariff ? And just add a data package to my existing account ?
    Would I have to jailbreak to do that ?

Cheers.

You could use your existing SIM and add a data package to it. I'd say a data add on between 200MB to 500MB / month is enough for the average user. You won't have to jailbreak to do that (assuming it's an O2 IE phone)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Option 3:

> Purchase an Apple-unlocked iphone without SIM or contract in Belgium or Italy (€500).
    > Put in ANY SIM YOU LIKE and activate.

Pro - you can use current contract, current number and current tariff. No jailbreaking or unlocking required. Warranty not compromised.

Con - cost a little higher. BUT this is partly offset by the fact you can get any 3G tariff on the market.

<< EDIT: Added another con... you have to know someone in Belguim / Italy. >>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

CivilEx wrote: »
    You could use your existing SIM and add a data package to it. I'd say a data add on between 200MB to 500MB / month is enough for the average user. You won't have to jailbreak to do that (assuming it's an O2 IE phone)

If thats true then option 2 of €480 becomes more attractive as it would mean a much cheaper monthly bill. Anyone know how much a data packahge costs ?

Also. I wouldn't be tied to a big new contract.

EDIT: Website shows only two data bundles. 200mb (€7.50) & 1GB(€15). 200mb would be a bit small and 1GB would bring me almost up to my existing contract price.

Hmmmm. Hard to know so. €480 (keep #, slightly cheaper bills, no long term contract) vs €350 (new #, slightly dearer bills, long term contract).

Thoughts ?

My wife is going to the states next month...anything she could get over there ... that woudn't involve a jailbreak ? And if I did get an iPhone from the states, what happens if it breaks ?

Cheers for the help btw :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement