Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3G iPhone Thread - [sourcing Qs / news about 3G iPhone here *ONLY* !!!]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

BostonB wrote: »
    The guys on the 02 forums are much better.
    http://forums.o2online.ie/forums/index.php

I think I asked them before and they said this would work.

Cheers for that. I think I've been on boards too long...I forget there are other forums :)

brianon wrote: »
    Cheers for that. I think I've been on boards too long...I forget there are other forums :)

I've rang about seven stores since yesterday and only one is answering. They just got in stock but only the 8GB :(

Might just buy through the online shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭paruss100

Dades wrote: »
    Have you actually looked at your potential call and data usage? I thought the same as you initially about the O2 tariffs, but with free texting and (effectively) unlimited data usage I've never paid over the €45 a month. (Was paying €50 + with Meteor - and didn't even have the internet.)

Yeah i checked it, im currently on meteor and with meteor if i top up by 20 a month i get free calls and text to meteor customers, i never spend more than 20 a month on calls or texts. Im probably more of a texter than a talker though so i doubt 100 a month offered by o2 would be enough however the minutes are probably too much on the other hand. As for the data, with meteor i can get data up to 50mb a day for 99c so even if i used the internet every day (Which i wouldnt) It would cost about 30 euro. I suppose it would be a bit better if you were using your phone alot but if i were to spend 45 euro a month on my phone something would be seriously wrong!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I think you'd be mad not to get insurance on a €500 phone too. So thats another €9 a month.

O2 gives you stats on your bill. For example. Spend outside of your plan:

Calls 12.82%
    Messages 86.15%
    Data 1.03%

You also download your bill as an excel sheet and work out how many calls/text you do to each network.
    No point getting free calls/text to network A if you mainly ring/text network B

Ok. I have managed to get hold of a 16GB iPhone :)

Thansk for your help guys.

Went for the speakeasy option and will put my current sim in.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

paruss100 wrote: »
    Yeah i checked it, im currently on meteor and with meteor if i top up by 20 a month i get free calls and text to meteor customers, i never spend more than 20 a month on calls or texts.
    That's not a lot - I can see how €45 seems pricey!

Beware though - having an iPhone will tempt you into using data devouring apps! Suddenly that extra €30 a month isn't looking so unlikely! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭ryanmatty

Hey lads heading over to new york next week anyone any tips on where to pick up an iphone over there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Eoin Macollamh

ryanmatty wrote: »
    Hey lads heading over to new york next week anyone any tips on where to pick up an iphone over there?

Walk into any AT&T store. Be prepared to sign a 2-year contract at approximately $70/month. Oh, and have an American credit card and billing address at the ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Borneo Fnctn

Walk into any AT&T store. Be prepared to sign a 2-year contract at approximately $70/month. Oh, and have an American credit card and billing address at the ready.

And a social security number.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 1sttimebuild

there's a place on 5th avenue in New York small electronics shop that does iphones

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

Just seeing **** are selling the FREE iphone unlocked:

After a long wait, GSM Solutions Ltd (Irelands longest running mobile phone unlocking company) has launched Ireland's first Official 3G Apple iPhone unlocking service for the public.

You can now have your 3G iPhone unlocked in GSM Solution's Dublin office, visit www.****.ie or Tel: 01 8728722 for more details and latest price update.

Discounts for bulk and trade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

After a long wait, GSM Solutions Ltd (Irelands longest running mobile phone unlocking company) has launched Ireland's first Official 3G Apple iPhone unlocking service for the public.

You can now have your 3G iPhone unlocked in GSM Solution's Dublin office, visit www.****.ie or Tel: 01 8728722 for more details and latest price update.

What makes it official?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Borneo Fnctn

Why would anybody want to pay for a service they could do themselves for free? This is just abusing the free software made by the dev team. It's downright dishonest.

exactly there is a company in uk selling the software also and Dev team are looking for legal advice with regards the selling of the free software.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Just a recommendation. I got this app called MCleaner from Cydia, it blocks incoming private numbers, dead handy.

When i posted this i ment they were scamming people by selling Free Software.Not advertising for them.I have also Contacted The Dev team and let them deal with it.

I know that Eoin I aint stupid. Just wondering anyone know shops selling them off the shelf no contract as in not a legit shops selling them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I know that Eoin aint stupid.
    How do you know that Eoin ain't stupid? For all you know he might be very stupid indeed.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    How do you know that Eoin ain't stupid? For all you know he might be very stupid indeed.

lol very true BaZmO :D

This may be a bit off topic but has anyone tried that sim unlock thing for the iphone? The card that you attach to your sim that allows you to use any sim?
    Any tried it with an O2 ireland iphone?

• Advertisement

I know that Eoin I aint stupid. Just wondering anyone know shops selling them off the shelf no contract as in not a legit shops selling them.

Apple keeps tight control on these phones. The only places selling iPhones not tied to a contract are: 1) European and other sellers with prepay iPhones for high prices; 2) European and other sellers with unlocked iPhones for even higher prices.

The US is about the worst place to buy an iPhone because there is no source for the device that is not tied to an AT&T contract.

This may be a bit off topic but has anyone tried that sim unlock thing for the iphone? The card that you attach to your sim that allows you to use any sim?
    Any tried it with an O2 ireland iphone?

Why would you do that when you can now unlock it in software?

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Sighface

there's a place on 5th avenue in New York small electronics shop that does iphones
    costs an arm and leg though...

I think I know it. Does it look like this?

photo_fifthavenue.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Jonathanpbk

I was wondering, whats the story with buying a contract iPhone here or up north and not having to activate the bill... Is that possible or will they make you activate the contract before you leave the shop?
    I know people used to do that in the US but I don't know about here...

Why would you do that when you can now unlock it in software?
    Oh right is that like the same process to jailbreak it? I thought i heard that if you try to unlock it that apple lock the phone so that no sim can be used in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

Oh right is that like the same process to jailbreak it? I thought i heard that if you try to unlock it that apple lock the phone so that no sim can be used in it?

Google for iphone Dev Team, it will be a lot quicker and more in depth than anything you will get here, plus we wont have to repeat ourself s

Just noticed there theve updated the prices on the o2 site, the 99.99 a month one is now only 49 euro, the pay as you go ones are still the same price though. Can anyone remember how much they were before?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭zoos

Does anyone know how to get contacts from sim card to iphone.

apologies if this was already asked but this thread is huge at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

zoos wrote: »
    Does anyone know how to get contacts from sim card to iphone.

apologies if this was already asked but this thread is huge at this stage.

Got to Settings > Mail, Contacts & Calendars > Import SIM contacts

We could really do with an iPhone FAQ or something (this is the third time I've answered this question!):D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement