Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3G iPhone Thread - [sourcing Qs / news about 3G iPhone here *ONLY* !!!]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭dazedandlost

Seems the folks over at Pocket Link in Uk have noticed differences in iPhone pricing and tarriffs...

http://www.pocket-lint.co.uk/news/ne...-tariffs.phtml

My only gripe is not around the data plan, but fact I paid €499 only a few months ago, O2 would have been privy to the new phone and launch dates but still launched the 1st gen iPhone... They should have waited and just launched the 2nd Gen, skipping the 1st gen but I guess they wanted to cash in...

Won't be getting the new phone as no benefits to those who bought in March, I do believe there should be a better deal for existing Irish O2 owners given the short time frame between Irish launch and 3G launch, could understand if there was a larger gap but feel a bit hoodwinked...

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭dmn

thanks god i bought mine from the states back in september :D for €280

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Celticwarrior

I think when you compare the pay monthly tariffs it's ridiculous.

I mean fair enough there's always going to be differences, we're a small country etc. But we should compare the tariffs of one 02 company (the UK obv) offering the 3G Iphone to ours. I know there's the argument that we should be comparing to operators in Ireland - but that doesn't stack up. I meant the IPhones are in Northern Ireland & no other company operates the Iphone in Ireland. I know they are "different" legal entities - but they are both 02. The differences are massive - you can't really say there's a difference of 10-20%. I used a rate of 1.26 E to 1 GBP.

I've removed the £30 tariff as the £35 tariff is the comparable €45 tariff. That way it is 3 tariffs vs 3 tariffs

UK:

Monthly Charge £35.... £45.....£75
    EURO................€44.....€57....€95
    Minutes.............600.....1200..3000
    Texts................500.....500....500
    Unlimited Data....Yes......Yes....Yes

IRE:

Monthly Charge..€45.....€65....€100
    Minutes............175.....350.....700
    Texts...............100.....150.....250
    Data.................1GB....1GB.....1GB

The differences in the tariff's are by multiples of 3,4,5. There is no slight or small differences. I think the whole things ridiculous.

I mean fair enough there's always going to be differences, we're a small country etc. But we should compare the tariffs of one 02 company (the UK obv) offering the 3G Iphone to ours. I know there's the argument that we should be comparing to operators in Ireland - but that doesn't stack up. I meant the IPhones are in Northern Ireland & no other company operates the Iphone in Ireland. I know they are "different" legal entities - but they are both 02. The differences are massive - you can't really say there's a difference of 10-20%. I used a rate of 1.26 E to 1 GBP.

I've removed the £30 tariff as the £35 tariff is the comparable €45 tariff. That way it is 3 tariffs vs 3 tariffs

UK:

IRE:

The differences in the tariff's are by multiples of 3,4,5. There is no slight or small differences. I think the whole things ridiculous.

I'm glad you laid it out like this...now we can really see the difference which is beyond a JOKE!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

O2 is sweetening the deal for upcoming iPhone users. Some fine print was recently found on their webpage that confirmed that iPhone users will be getting free access to Wi-Fi hotspots from The Cloud and by BT OpenZone. This announcement raises the number of available hotspots to iPhone users in the UK to 9,500, making the situation for iPhone users in the UK easily the most desirable of all that have been announced.

There is also word that O2 is teaming up with The Cloud and BTOpenzone to form a "wireless mesh network" across London using hotspots from both Wi-Fi providers, allowing users to use the entire network seamlessly.

• Advertisement

it's all good...we get to use bitbuzz wifi in a travel lodge if you decide to go on a tour of Ireland, or if you're lucky enough to pass statoil in Sligo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭matchthis

UK:

IRE:

How do Vodafone Ireland compare to Vodafone uk? Or how does the Irish iPhone tarrif compare to normal o2 irish tarriffs?

matchthis wrote: »
    How do Vodafone Ireland compare to Vodafone uk? Or how does the Irish iPhone tarrif compare to normal o2 irish tarriffs?

good question re: vodafone tariffs. anyone willing to check this out and come back to us with a table?? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

£15
    Per month0
    anytime minsunlimited
    inclusive texts
    • Unlimited Texts

£20
    £10.00 for the
    first 3 mths100
    anytime mins50
    inclusive texts

£20
    £10.00 for the
    first 3 mths50
    anytime mins150
    inclusive texts

£30 in store
    £25 online500
    anytime mins100
    inclusive texts

£30 in store
    £25 online200
    anytime mins1000
    inclusive texts

£35 in store
    £30 online700
    anytime mins250
    inclusive texts
    • Unlimited Landline Calls
    • Save £5 per month only when you buy online. Saving £90. Applies to selected phones

£35
    Per month700
    anytime mins250
    inclusive texts

£35 in store
    £30 online600
    anytime minsunlimited
    inclusive texts

[*]Unlimited Texts

£35
    Per month600
    anytime minsunlimited
    inclusive texts

£40
      Per month900
      anytime mins500
      inclusive texts

£40
      Per month900
      anytime minsunlimited
      inclusive texts
      • Unlimited Texts

£50
      Per month1500
      anytime mins500
      inclusive texts

£50
      Per month1500
      anytime minsunlimited
      inclusive texts
      • Unlimited Texts

£75
      Per month3000
      anytime mins500
      inclusive texts

£75
      Per month3000
      anytime minsunlimited
      inclusive texts

Unlimited Texts

VS

Price plan Monthly fee Free call minutes Free texts Text rate Out of bundle call rate
      Perfect Choice 50 €19 50 50 11c 35c per min
      Perfect Choice 100 €29 100 100 11c 30c per min
      Perfect Choice 200 €49 200 200 11c 25c per min
      Perfect Choice 400 €69 400 400 11c 20c per min
      Perfect Choice 600 €89 600 600 11c 18c per min

£75
      Per month3000
      anytime minsunlimited
      inclusive texts

Perfect Choice 600 €89 600 600 11c 18c per min

So Voda is

IRL €89 600 Mins 600 texts
      Uk €94 3000 Mins Unlimited texts

So issue is not the Iphone, the issue is what we pay here versus what uk pay. It goes for anything on the mobile networks. I admit there gits for not giving it to us for free, but it is evident that they are different markets. As fot the 1gb add on. Let o2 learn the hard way, but what if it turns out that we never reach the 1gb add on with exception of the few.

• Advertisement
    • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Celticwarrior

matchthis wrote: »

I see little point in comparing Vodafone to Vodafone in both countries as although the comparison is fair market wise - it doesn't reflect the actual topic - the iphone.

I feel that is partly the case for an 02 within 02 comparison.

However, for the 02 Clear - 18 month contracts - for comparable prices-

IPHONE:
      Data................1GB.....1GB.....1GB

O2 Clear - 18 Month - (no comparable €100 option)
      Monthly Charge..€50.....€75
      Minutes............350.....600
      Texts...............150.....250
      Data.................0.........0

To get a comparable data add on it's €30 to the 02 clear plans. Since the data add on clearly makes comparison pointless as the cost of it as an add-on for 1GB is so high when it probably shouldn't be because for €30 bill pay data add on meteor you get "unlimited data".

To get a comparable data add on it's €30 to the 02 clear plans. Since the data add on clearly makes comparison pointless as the cost of it as an add-on for 1GB is so high when it probably shouldn't be because for €30 bill pay data add on meteor you get "unlimited data".

o2 Data add on for any hsdpa enabled handset is €15 for 1gb and €30 for 10gb. If your using the iphone for more than 10gb of usage then you might be better off with something more powerful than an iPhone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭-DuMbGuM-

I found this web page again that i had lost the other day.

http://www.macworld.co.uk/ipod-itunes/news/index.cfm?newsid=21562

Their source reckons £269

269.00 GBP
      =
      339.516 EUR

Any thoughts? Seems reasonable enough i suppose. I guess that figure means if o2 Ireland release a PAYG version we can expect to pay somewhere in the region of a "mere" 400€... bargain!! :p

Wouldn't be too bad at €400 if ye got credit back and they did something about the 1c per kb rate they have. Would need to be 16gb at that price too and maybe €300 for 8gb

• Registered Users Posts: 37 cormac1982

bk wrote: »
      Just read elsewhere, there maybe a way to get a 3G iPhone from the US if you know someone living there.

1) Get them to buy the 3G iPhone with a contract
      2) Immediately cancel the contract with the $175 cancelation fee.

So the 16GB iPhone would cost $300 + $175 = $475 or €302

Don't think that will work. Check out the last paragraph here http://www.macrumors.com/2008/06/10/iphone-3g-hands-on-notes-and-questions/
      Looks like you'll have to actually return the iphone to cancel your contract/get your refund.

On another point, anyone know how soon after you sign up to a tarriff on O2 you can downgrade? Its 6 months on three far I know.
      Just for the record, not a fan of O2 either but been waiting for this version so will probably switch. 1Gb cap doesn't seem that bad to me because it has WiFi too - people probably use that more often to download apps and stuff like that although 3G might change that of course. Sure who knows what new tariffs they'll bring in, as unlikely as it sounds they might surprise us. At the end of the day, their an Irish mobile phone company - we should know better by now not to expect much from them.
      Finally, anyone had any compatibility experience with an iPhone and Nokia car kits? ( Ck-7W and Ck-15w etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

GUIGuy wrote: »
      I'm hoping for 150 Euro... that'd be fair.
      Don't quite know if the "we'll be distroing it in 6 counties" means that apple will also sell direct in first 6 counties. If they do then maybe it will sell for that in good ol' rip off republic

150? lol

Yep, this price is likely exclusive to the iPhone tariffs.

On Pay As You Go its currently 1c per kb, meaning 1MB = 10euro.

1GB cap is a piece of ****, why can't we have the same or at least similar plans to the UK?

Do you expect a small town shop to have the same prices as tescos?

My god its just whine whine whine with you guys. 21 pages of reading later I'm asleep. Fair enough there is a cap on the iPhone tariff and that pretty bad but my god you'd swear you were taking out a contract with the devil. Back in march there was the same deal with this cap and what happened?
      everyone left the topic because there were embarrassed they couldn't break 250MB's and shut up.

Werd!

I wouldn't mind but the phone isn't that impressive anyways. Ohhhh touch screen :rolleyes:

Seems the folks over at Pocket Link in Uk have noticed differences in iPhone pricing and tarriffs...

http://www.pocket-lint.co.uk/news/ne...-tariffs.phtml

My only gripe is not around the data plan, but fact I paid €499 only a few months ago, O2 would have been privy to the new phone and launch dates but still launched the 1st gen iPhone... They should have waited and just launched the 2nd Gen, skipping the 1st gen but I guess they wanted to cash in...

Won't be getting the new phone as no benefits to those who bought in March, I do believe there should be a better deal for existing Irish O2 owners given the short time frame between Irish launch and 3G launch, could understand if there was a larger gap but feel a bit hoodwinked...

Maybe you will get that, but don't think you deserve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭jpfahy

Do you expect a small town shop to have the same prices as tescos?

Have I not read somewhere that Ireland is the most profitable country in Europe for phone companies.
      And have we not got the highest amount of phones per capita.
      The phone companies are creaming it here..........

• Advertisement
    • Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

vodafone rtg in Italy:

This morning we're getting a first look at unsubsidized prices for the iPhone 3G in Europe. Vodafone Italy has set an out-of-contract price for the iPhone 3G at 499/€569 ($773/$881) for the 8GB/16GB models, respectively. Subscription rates have not yet been announced. While steep, those prices are actually smartphone-reasonable in Italy (and around Europe) where an HTC Touch Cruise with its WiFi, tri-band HSDPA data, GPS, and touchscreen sells for €549. Capisce?

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭dazedandlost

Maybe you will get that, but don't think you deserve it.

Can you expand on why you think I don't deserve it?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

UK:

IRE:

Austria have released their pricing, so I'll add it for comparison, only 2 tariffs (classic & supreme), 24 month contract
      I also added the price of the phone for 8GB/16GB

AT:

Monthly Charge..€39........€55
      Minutes...........1000.......1000
      Texts................0*........1000
      Data**.............3GB........3GB
      Phone .........249/299.....199/249

*25c per sms
      ** 10c/MB over the limit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭vinnycoyne

Mr.S wrote: »
      aren't italy one of the countries where its illegal to lock a phone to one network?

if not, then woohoo! lets hope it gets brought here

Regardless of whether or not it's legal, it means that there will be iPhone 3G's for sale on eBay! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

Any ideas how much a pay as you go 3G iPhone would retail for?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

silvine wrote: »
      Any ideas how much a pay as you go 3G iPhone would retail for?
      Take a look at the previous page.

EUR400 is a lot of cash for a phone/iPod. Although my current contract with 3 doesn't expire till November so I may have to grin and bear it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭vinnycoyne

EUR400 is not a lot, considering the technology inside the device.

It is an expensive thing to be carrying around especially when you consider how much wear and tear phones undergo and the probability of it going missing or being robbed.

• Advertisement
    • Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭tramoredude

What happened to the $199 price for the sim free 8gig?

To the fleabay!

This discussion has been closed.
    Advertisement