Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3G iPhone Thread - [sourcing Qs / news about 3G iPhone here *ONLY* !!!]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭vinnycoyne

silvine wrote: »
    It is an expensive thing to be carrying around especially when you consider how much wear and tear phones undergo and the probability of it going missing or being robbed.

Most smartphones retail for approx the same price if they are available on PAYG.

It boils down to personal preference - I'd prefer to pay EUR400 for a phone with no contract. If I didn't think I was going to be able to take care of it, I wouldn't buy it in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

What happened to the $199 price for the sim free 8gig?

There never was one :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Mr.S wrote: »
    for a top end spec phone, on PAYG, i think its a fair price.

i mean, you get a ipod (200euro?)and a phone (200euro?) makes sense!

Not when the comparable device (iPod touch) prices are 279 and 369 euro for the 8 and 16GB. Not forgetting that a device with more capabaility and hardward (the phone/GPS side) is obviously gonna cost more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Mr.S wrote: »
    but what im saying is, its a full ipod aswell, and usally people would have both a iPod and a phone, so your spending the same price on a iPhone which is both, then buying a ipod and a phone sepperate

Sorry I confused the meaning of your post. We are actually agreeing.

200 euro IPod + 200 euro Phone = 400 euro fair price iPhone.

I'd be very surprised if O2 Ireland offer a PAYG version.

If they do, I can see it being priced well over EUR400.

Here's hoping I'm wrong on both points.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Can you expand on why you think I don't deserve it?

You bought a phone and now because theres an upgraded version you think its o2/apples fault so you deserve the newer phone at a cheaper rate?

I hope you get it, i do, but you don't deserve it

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I'm amazed that people feel they should be entitled to an upgrade :confused:
    If you buy a car and 2 months later a new model of that car is released, should you get an upgrade?
    You buy a PC from Dell and the next month it's 100€ cheaper with a better processor, should you get your money back with a better machine?
    You buy a new LCD TV and the next month there is a new model at the same price, should you be entitled to it?

I would like to know what the difference is here between these and the iphone?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

It is understandable, in a way, why they feel cheated. They buy an expesnive phone and sign up to an expensive contract only to find out that a cheaper, better phone is coming out within a few weeks. It would be good customer relations for O2 to give out a free iPhone and it will bring in the customers.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

jester77 wrote: »
    If you buy a car and 2 months later a new model of that car is released, should you get an upgrade?
    You buy a PC from Dell and the next month it's 100€ cheaper with a better processor, should you get your money back with a better machine?
    You buy a new LCD TV and the next month there is a new model at the same price, should you be entitled to it?

agreed, especially since everyone and their mother knew a 3G version was coming. Apple announced it themselves before we even got the iphone ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

Yes but everyone who knew that should also know that buying one on O2 was a mistake and by the looks of things, people didn't know that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 keetmeister

Folks,

Lets do a survey. How many of you actually use the iphone?
    Everyone seems hell bent on knocking O2 and the charges when in actual:)ly fact, the handset is not that good. It'll probably be the 3rd or 4th version that'll fully functional. I have one and its not as easy to use as a Nokia and battery life is terrible.
    I say wait till 2009 to buy it....

Keetmeister

I'm very happy with my iPhone. I have it unlocked, jailbroken and on Meteor bill pay.

I use it every day for web, calendar, email, music, games. I'm looking forward to getting Exchange support and being able to properly write apps using the SDK. As a Mac developer, it's an ideal phone for me. I'll probably skip the 3G version and wait for the next upgrade.

Anyway, this should really be in the other iPhone thread ( +1 for iPhone forum).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭tramoredude

carrotcake wrote: »
    There never was one :)

So when Steve was preaching in front of the $199 poster that was lies? Or on another lame 2 year AT&T Contract?

So when Steve was preaching in front of the $199 poster that was lies? Or on another lame 2 year AT&T Contract?

It's with the contract. He just conveniently left that part out...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,566 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Folks,

Everyone seems hell bent on knocking O2 and the charges when in actual:)ly fact, the handset is not that good. It'll probably be the 3rd or 4th version that'll fully functional. I have one and its not as easy to use as a Nokia and battery life is terrible.

Keetmeister
    it totally depends on the user.

here's my story.

i paid 250 euro (bought it in america) for my iphone and using it unlocked on o2 network (no iphone contract).

my previous phone was a SE k800i.

things i miss from that phone...
    • camera

things i don't miss
    • bad camera shutter
    • bad joystick

things that drew me towards iphone.
    • it's a basic phone, good ipod and decent enough camera with no moving shutter parts.
    • full qwerty keyboard
    • one device does several things, no need to carry a mp3 player etc around.

things i dislike about the iphone
    • bluetooth could do with being improved
    • the headphones are absolute poop.

now i don't really use a camera on a phone that much tbh because i normally have my canon 450d when i'm out and about so i don't need a super camera on a phone.

when i bought my iphone there was no such thing or wasn't released yet the n95, and if it was released it was going for close to 600 euros.

i think the main attraction to the iphone for me is that they are a really new company to the mobile market and for their first phone - no matter what way you look at it - they made an impression. also as a software developer i really appreciate the attention to detail when it comes to a User Interface, the OS is quick, nippy and responsive where as symbian/windows mobile to me feel clunky and unresponsive.

but at the end of the day every mobile phone company have their haters and their lovers, the iphone could be better and no doubt it will become better in time, people just need to remember that nokia - or any other phone manufacturer - didn't invent the world's greatest phone with their first commerical phone (otherwise we'd all have it by now) and neither did apple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭decsramble

I own one and I bought it on O2. Maybe I could have gotten it cheaper on ebay but I decided to go the legit route get it on O2. I dont regret it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭-DuMbGuM-

I'm very happy with my iPhone. I have it unlocked, jailbroken and on Meteor bill pay.

I use it every day for web, calendar, email, music, games. I'm looking forward to getting Exchange support and being able to properly write apps using the SDK. As a Mac developer, it's an ideal phone for me. I'll probably skip the 3G version and wait for the next upgrade.

Anyway, this should really be in the other iPhone thread ( +1 for iPhone forum).

+1 here too, with around 4/5 sub-categories.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭jcrowbar

decsramble wrote: »
    I own one and I bought it on O2. Maybe I could have gotten it cheaper on ebay but I decided to go the legit route get it on O2. I dont regret it.

i did the exact same thing, and couldn't have been happier.

the fact is that at the moment 1st gen iphones are selling on adverts for 250 on average, which more than covers the cost of a 3g one if anybody wants to upgrade.

the only downside to what i've done that i can see is the wait of a month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭tdc

haha just noticed i started this thread. i saw the first reply and then thought that was all the info i was going to get, this is the first time ive seen it since, now i have to read 350+ posts :pac: :p

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭dazedandlost

jester77 wrote: »

But a car manufacturer would announce a new model coming in advance of new models and in none of your examples would they launch a new improved device at half the price

Any this phone not worth upgrading to only to get 3G and GPS... Wait for 3rr Gen iPhone which hopefully will have video, MMS, text forwarding and flash player

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 cormac1982

Folks,

Keetmeister
    Thats crazy talk Keetmeister, buy this one AND the one in 2009! It's good for the economy!! Then we can do this all over again.

I don't have one and I'm big apple fan - told myself when it came out first I'd wait for this version. A quick google search for Iphone + 3G would at the time would have returned plenty of speculation and rumour of a new 3G version not too far away. Even common sense would lead you to believe a new version wasn't far off the horizon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭-DuMbGuM-

But a car manufacturer would announce a new model coming in advance of new models and in none of your examples would they launch a new improved device at half the price

Any this phone not worth upgrading to only to get 3G and GPS... Wait for 3rr Gen iPhone which hopefully will have video, MMS, text forwarding and flash player

The iPhone 3g supports 3rd party app's so the word around the web is that adobe are making a flash player for the phone to be released free as it is suggested are many of the apps, and i heard talk about the possible development of an MMS app, but i'd say i currently use MMS on an average of maybe twice a year anyway so wouldn't need that.

Ok quick question.
    Can I use any freely available free wifi with the new ifone?

For example here at home with my own wifi or in a hotel that gives free wifi like any of the marriots? Or for instance in my own local mcdonalds that has free wifi for customers?

That way I don't use the 1 gig cap?

These are only available from july 11th in o2 stores? Is it likely that you won't be able to get one in an o2 store that will be up and running straight away on the 11th even if you pre order on july 1st?

Reason I ask these questions is that I'll be in the states from july 12th and having the phone for wifi will be very very handy as I'll want the web on the go in various places that have free wifi and obviously won't be paying for roaming data charges.

Thanks for a reply folks :)

You mean just like apple announced there would be a 3G iphone coming at the UK launch? Long before it came to Ireland.

History of ipods, PCs or any bloody piece of tech kit would tell anyone with a clue it was going to get cheaper and better.

As far as I can tell the iphone seems to have brought out a lot of 'noob' early adopters. Who obviously aren't aware of the usual risks you take at going for the 1st generation of any piece of tech.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

-DuMbGuM- wrote: »
    The iPhone 3g supports 3rd party app's so the word around the web is that adobe are making a flash player for the phone to be released free as it is suggested are many of the apps, and i heard talk about the possible development of an MMS app, but i'd say i currently use MMS on an average of maybe twice a year anyway so wouldn't need that.

Forget about a Flash app. If flash is going to come on iPhone (unlikely) it's going to come after an agreement between the two companies and then through a software update. You're forgetting that Apple are the gatekeppers for the distribution of apps and in the current environment they're hardly going to allow adobe to offer flash via their store. Conversely I can't imagine Adobe wanting to release flash without Apple's seal of approval.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭jamieh

I know I'm jumping the gun a bit here lads ..but when is the 3rd gen iphone expected? I don't want to sign up to an 18 month contract and find out that a new iPhone will be launched in 6 months time!

Also...just came across this on ebay...http://cgi.ebay.ie/New-Boxed-16GB-Apple-iPhone-3G-2-0-GPS-Black-or-White_W0QQitemZ170228259295QQihZ007QQcategoryZ3312QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

what do ye think?

jamieh wrote: »
    I know I'm jumping the gun a bit here lads ..but when is the 3rd gen iphone expected? I don't want to sign up to an 18 month contract and find out that a new iPhone will be launched in 6 months time!

Also...just came across this on ebay...http://cgi.ebay.ie/New-Boxed-16GB-Apple-iPhone-3G-2-0-GPS-Black-or-White_W0QQitemZ170228259295QQihZ007QQcategoryZ3312QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

what do ye think?

most likely there will be a new version with better camera, video recording etc within a year, possible sooner.

Wouldn't be surprised if they deliberately held some features back to drive upgrades and future sales, if so they would leave it at least until early 2009 before rolling out the new version to drive sales first quarter next year. However they may split it and bring out a 32GB version before christmas and then add the other features this time next year.

The only thing you can be sure of is that there will be at least one and probably 2 new versions before an 18 month contract with O2 would run out.
    There could even be more if they launch an iphone 'mini' as well.

So buy one allowing for that and don't bitch and moan when the obvious happens! Which is what I will likely do. It isn't perfect but I think it is at a good point to try it on for size.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭whisht

Ok quick question.
    Can I use any freely available free wifi with the new ifone?

Thanks for a reply folks :)

Don't know why nobody replied to this but yes, you can use it with any freely available wifi

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭dmn

iPhone 3G on pay as you go in Italy

From Vodafone Italy site:
    People preferring a pre-pay plan for private users can buy the 8Gb iPhone for €499 or the 16GB model for €569.

Isn't there a law in Italy that all phones have to be unlocked? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,160 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

dmn wrote: »
    iPhone 3G on pay as you go in Italy

From Vodafone Italy site:

Isn't there a law in Italy that all phones have to be unlocked? :rolleyes:

16GB for €569 :eek:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement