Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3G iPhone Thread - [sourcing Qs / news about 3G iPhone here *ONLY* !!!]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

16GB for €569 :eek:

Considering an 16Gb iPod touch is €369. An extra 200 for the phone capabilities, GPS, camera, and the free software upgrades (iPod touch users have to pay for these) an extra €200 doesn't sound that unreasonable to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭dmn

Considering an 16Gb iPod touch is €369. An extra 200 for the phone capabilities, GPS, camera, and the free software upgrades (iPod touch users have to pay for these) an extra €200 doesn't sound that unreasonable to me.

Same here. I think I'd be willing to pay this no problem. Of course I would have to get the 16GB just because I want the white one :)
    I'm eager to see how much O2UK are going to charge for the 2 models on pay as you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭johnk123

Yes, but as PAYG customers, do they then have to pay 1c per KB of data over 3G??? Like someone posted earlier in this thread.... 1mb would cost €10. That would drain your credit in no time!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

16GB for €569 :eek:

That sounds about right, any decent smartphone will cost that and more. Have a look here for prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

johnk123 wrote: »
    Yes, but as PAYG customers, do they then have to pay 1c per KB of data over 3G??? Like someone posted earlier in this thread.... 1mb would cost €10. That would drain your credit in no time!!!

The networks should be providing a data bundle that can be an add on your prepay package. At the moment I still think its a wait and see approach for o2 Ireland and o2 Uk as there is still a long way to go before launch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

-DuMbGuM- wrote: »
    The iPhone 3g supports 3rd party app's so the word around the web is that adobe are making a flash player for the phone to be released free as it is suggested are many of the apps, and i heard talk about the possible development of an MMS app, but i'd say i currently use MMS on an average of maybe twice a year anyway so wouldn't need that.
    The Original iPhone will also run third party apps when version 2.0 of the software is released at the same time as the iPhone 3G - so if a Flash app is produced it would run on that, too (although the download times would probably kill any real usefulness).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭-DuMbGuM-

The Original iPhone will also run third party apps when version 2.0 of the software is released at the same time as the iPhone 3G - so if a Flash app is produced it would run on that, too (although the download times would probably kill any real usefulness).

Yup you're right.

Here's a question, does anyone know if o2 Ireland sim card's work in o2uk phone's, or is unlocking still necessary?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

does anyone know if o2 Ireland sim card's work in o2uk phone's, or is unlocking still necessary?

Still necessary (for locked phone, obviously).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Dman001 wrote: »
    It is understandable, in a way, why they feel cheated. They buy an expesnive phone and sign up to an expensive contract only to find out that a cheaper, better phone is coming out within a few weeks. It would be good customer relations for O2 to give out a free iPhone and it will bring in the customers.

I didn't hear about o2 forcing people to buy iphones, jesus thats terrible

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Waiting to have my registration approved by a mod on the o2 customer forum so decided to see if anyone could answer my question here in the meantime:) Anyway I upgraded to a Samsung U600 in November - absolutely terrible phone I hate it:mad:

I'm dying to get a new iphone but according to O2 customer care I have to wait until I'm eligible for an upgrade - I'm actually a fairly light user. According to the mod on the O2 forum :
    From time to time depending on the need O2 may change the requirement for upgrades and at the moment the minimum requirement for a gold upgrade is a spend of €700 in a minimum of 6 months and a maximum of 12.

Does anyone know if it's possible to just pay O2 the difference and get an early upgrade?

• Advertisement

Folks,

Lets do a survey. How many of you actually use the iphone?
    Everyone seems hell bent on knocking O2 and the charges when in actual:)ly fact, the handset is not that good. It'll probably be the 3rd or 4th version that'll fully functional. I have one and its not as easy to use as a Nokia and battery life is terrible.
    I say wait till 2009 to buy it....

Keetmeister

I agree, i won't be touching an iphone for at least a couple of year(unless i can get a PAYG version for €100 ;) ) all you have to do is look at the ipod and how it developed

+1 here too, with around 4/5 sub-categories.

Boards really like its forums and sub forums, doesn't it? :pac:

cgarvey wrote: »
    Still necessary (for locked phone, obviously).

Yeah i know the o2uk phone would be locked but i thought their locking method might have been the same as o2 Ireland.

"Wouldn't be surprised" ?

Its a definite
    copacetic wrote: »
    most likely there will be a new version with better camera, video recording etc within a year, possible sooner.

Wouldn't be surprised if they deliberately held some features back to drive upgrades and future sales, if so they would leave it at least until early 2009 before rolling out the new version to drive sales first quarter next year. However they may split it and bring out a 32GB version before christmas and then add the other features this time next year.

The only thing you can be sure of is that there will be at least one and probably 2 new versions before an 18 month contract with O2 would run out.
    There could even be more if they launch an iphone 'mini' as well.

So buy one allowing for that and don't bitch and moan when the obvious happens! Which is what I will likely do. It isn't perfect but I think it is at a good point to try it on for size.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭caoimhemo

NiSmO wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

+1 Iphone forum please

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

meh, hardly needs its own forum, this thread is already dying off..

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Gibs

I would like to get an iphone but am unsure about which way to go and would appreciate some opinions:

Suppose I don't care too much about 3G or GPS and therefore could use either a 1st Gen or 3G iPhone. Who is the best provider to sign up with if I have an unlocked 1st gen iphone? Is there a particularly good tarrif that people have found that would suit, say, less than 200 mins and less than 200 texts per month with less than 1G of surfing, or am I just better off waiting til July 11th and signing up for the 3G iphone with O2?

I've looked through the various tarrifs but I would be interested to hear about others' experiences with actually running an unlocked 1st gen iphone with regard to cost/preferred provider etc.

Thanks for any advice

My bro was on the phone to Three Ireland to cancel his billpay account. The operator asked him what was his reason for leaving 3, he said because 3 doesnt carry the iPhone. She went forward to tell him that in a few weeks 3 would indeed have the iPhone. Now i don't know if that is customer services bull or not but he just said to cancel the account anyway because as you all know theres been no advertisement or statement from 3 Ireland on this.. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭allen175

hmmm... i was going to cancel my 3 account anyway and get the iphone from o2, but if 3 are going to carry it, i might actually hang on for it to come on 3.

and hopefully if 3 do get it, their price plans will be better than o2!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 30knots

or am I just better off waiting til July 11th and signing up for the 3G iphone with O2?

Not sure how anyone could be in any way better off signing up for that deal, its totally ridiculous. Hold out till they offer some kind of fair deal - at least 5gb data, maybe phone a friend for free or something? Surely thats not too unreasonable, then again it is o2

maybe 3 will be getting the 1st gen iphone

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

doubtful, it isn't even being made anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

Also 3 is a 3g network and the 1st gen iphone wont work on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Definitely getting this. Waiting to see what O2 charge for it here, but if it's sub 200e, I shall be getting it. I need a phone for personal use anyways, and while the tariffs are more expensive than they should be, I really, really loved my iPhone and 3G speeds would be the **** :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭sozbox

The tariffs have been announced:
    First Time Connections
    8GB 3G iPhone
    €49 with the €100 iPhone Tariff
    €99 with the €65 iPhone Tariff
    €169 with the €45 iPhone Tariff

16GB 3G iPhone
    €129 with the €100 Tariff
    €169 with the €65 Tariff
    €229 with the €45 Tariff

So not too bad. Same minutes/texts apply as the original ones AFAIK

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭diarmy

I'd like to hear more about this rumor that 3 could be getting the iPhone. I too noticed no mention of exclusivity of distribution and noticed that Apple also deal with Orange in France (I think) which is also owned by Hutchinson who own 3 so it's conceivable that it could work on 3.

Only thing is, 3 has a dire network in Ireland with only cities and major towns being the focus of any decent network coverage. Rural Ireland suffers again.

I'm noticing a lot of anomosity in the past few days from people who wouldn't mainly talk much about phones over the whole O2 thing. The media are doing a reasonably good job of taking the O2 Ireland/UK comparison on board, but I'm not entirely sure that Danuta Grey and her mignons are taking note. I remember when she was on Matt Cooper the day the first iPhone was announced for Ireland and she talked her way out of the argument then so no doubt she'll make no changes between now and July.

Meanwhile, I'm going to look for info on how to go about unlocking it from the North when it goes on PAYG there. I'd rather pay full price up front than the sneaky monthly tarriffs that clock up to far more. As I said previously, over 800 euro in rental alone over 18 months plus the 45 for the phone!

I'm disgusted. As a long time Digifone / O2 customer, I'm ashamed of the network I often called the best in Ireland (when measured against the pr*cks in Vodafone!)

diarmy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭johnk123

i will definitely be getting the iphone 3G and it will be on the €45 tariff. Only thing is I use text messaging a lot more than calls and this tariff only comes with 100 texts. But sure i just login to my o2 online thingy and use my free webtexts!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭jpfahy

Quote from O2 Press Release;

iPhone 3G will be available exclusively from O2 Retail, O2.ie and Carphone Warehouse stores. It will be available to pre-order from July 1st.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 loyal2deroyal

What does 1gig data mean in the Tariff?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement